BC Boards

She knows something we don't.

I'm back again.   Gracie is a great dog, in every way shape and form.  Couldn't ask for a better dog.  I also have you wonderful people on this board to thank for helping me with her every step of the way!   Now the problem....Gracie has it in for one person that comes to my home.  She doesn't like him in any way.  She snarled at him, growled at him, lunged at him, he went to shake hands with a client that's when she bit him.  She has never acted like this before with any other human being and I mean no one ever!!  Why?  Doe's she know something I don't?  Can't say it's the beard, she knows and loves many men with hair on their face, it isn't because he is loud, hell, I'm loud.  I can't figure this one out.  He addresses her, he is nice to her, he doesn't get in her space, but she hates him, watches every move he makes with her head down, I feel like she wants to bite him every minute.  It's just this guy, no one else.  

There's probably no way you will figure out the why, and it doesn't matter. Just make sure she never sees this guy again. Shut her in another room, put her outside, or do whatever you need to do to make sure she is never around him. A dog that bites someone is putting her life in danger and opening you up for potential lawsuits. Make sure it never happens again.

I had a dog once who did not like one particular person that we would occasionally see. I later found out that he was a real jerk, really nasty guy. Only person she ever took a disliking to like that. Sometimes they pick up on subtle body language we don't see. Sometimes they just know. I agree with the above. Keep the dog away from this guy. And as for yourself, I personally wouldn't trust the guy if your dog dislikes him so much and it's just him she dislikes. He may not be as nice as he seems. 

• 1 month later...

Update on Gracie and her mysterious hatred toward a certain someone.  This fellow will not be returning to our home, not now, not ever.  Turns out that she did, in fact, know something we did not and for all intense purposes she ( Gracie ) should win medals for knowing what a real piece of work this guy turned out to be.  It was no secret I didn't like him either.  At first,  I thought Gracie didn't like him because I didn't like him, maybe a little of that could have rubbed off on her but she likes other people I'm not so fond of.   No, she didn't like him for a far better reason than what I didn't like him for.  I would love to go into detail about the scum bag but, I can't.  Just know that I took your advise seriously like I always do.  I wouldn't ask for your advise if I wasn't prepared to follow it.  This site is a much-needed helpline to anyone who has questions about their Border Collies.  Gracie and I appreciate you all so very much.