BC Boards

House Training 2 yr old adoptee

Hi everyone, I hate coming to the group asking advice on this, but it's not getting any easier. 

We adopted Kingsley about 5 weeks ago, so yes he could still be adjusting, it's just that I also adopted my last two BCs at 2 yrs old, and did not have this problem. 

Kingsley goes pee and poop almost every night in the house, probably around 3:00am. We do not have a crate (yet), so after he went in the exact same spot for a few days, we started bringing him into our bedroom for the night. This worked as planned for a good week, as he wouldn't dare do that in my room:) So it was a good 5 or 6 days, and I let him sleep downstairs one night, and he slipped back to going in that same spot. So back upstairs, and sure enough he did the deed in my room. 

We watch his food intake, just a small kibble breakfast and dinner has been moved up to 4:00. (thinking about moving this up more) 

I let him our many many times during the day, and because I think he needs it, a formal walk at 8:00, and again at 10:00 (cuz he did not go @ 8:00) and sometimes out again at 11:00. He never does his business during these walks. He does poop many times during the day, so I always think I'm getting a good handle on it, but I'm convinced he just thinks going in the house is acceptable. 

Yes, I've caught him doing this and picked him up and took him outside urgently. I've praised the heck out him, with treats for doing it outside. 

In frustration, we used our bathroom as a crate last night, a small area closed off part of the bathroom to about the size of a big crate....it didn't work as planned. 

Any good ideas? 

Yes, he's definitely still adjusting. But it sounds like you need to get him a crate ASAP. He's less likely to make a mess where he sleeps; he can get away with it when he has full run of the house. Not sure how much space you allowed him in the bathroom, but as long as he can put some distance between his sleeping spot and his mess, he's probably going to keep doing this. Far less likely in a crate that's just big enough for him to stand up, turn around, and lie down. Crate him overnight, preferably in your bedroom, where (a) he'll feel more like part of the pack, and (b) you can hear him if he starts to get restless and let him outside. Hopefully, once he learns that he's stuck in there for the night, he'll start to figure out that eliminating before bedtime is a good idea.

Good luck! He's very lucky to have you!!

Yep. You need to get a crate for him ASAP. Every time he's able to eliminate in the house, it will just make it harder to break the habit.

If you're in the US you might be able to find a used one on Craigslist or similar type website.

You might also consider feeding him his larger meal earlier in the day with just a small meal, or no second meal at all, later in the day. My dogs are fed once a day at around 11:00 am.

If he is going in the same area you also need to clean that with an enzyme cleaner to break down the chemicals in the urine/poop he can still smell.  Even IF he is house broke he may still still mark since he smells it there.

Crates are great not only help to predict when he will go and where but keep him safe and secure while you are sleeping 

Chewy.com has good prices on Frisco dog crates.  I have two of them and they are good quality crates and easy to set up (all you have to do is unfold them). Not sure how big your new buddy is, but I would think the 36" size should be big enough which they currently have on sale for $34, with free shipping if you add a few items to get your order up to $50. Or you can just opt for a bigger crate which will cost closer to $50 itself. Maybe your local area will be different, but I found that Craigslist sellers were asking similar prices for their used crates as the new ones at Chewy. Plus I wasn't crazy about the idea of bringing a crate with other dog's scents into my house.

Crates are a great thing once the dog is accustomed.  It becomes their den, their safe place, and if there's ever an emergency your dog won't freak out if he needs to be crated.  We crate-train all our dogs from puppyhood, and they voluntarily use their crates long after there's a 'need' for them.

Good luck!

Amy

Use a crate.

Basically, I always tell people to obtain a crate before they bring a new dog home, and to use a crate with a new dog of any age. All dogs should be comfortable with a crate. It doesn't mean you will end up using it a whole lot in the future necessarily, but all dogs should be OK with going into and staying in one for many reasons. What if the dog is injured and has to stay at the vet hospital? He shouldn't have fear of a crate added to the stress. If you want to travel with the dog, many hotels will allow dogs only if crated. Dog events require crates. And so on.

AND it is the best potty training tool.

Okay, so we got the crate. Set it up nice with a mat and blankets, inside and out, to create a nice den. Good news, he likes it. Hangs out in it voluntarily. 

First night was Saturday night, I walked him around 10:00, and asked him to go in the crate, he did, closed the door, not a peep all night. I had set a 6:00 am alarm, got up, let him out, no problems, but no emergency poops either. He was running hard around 8:00am but still no action. at 9:00am I went out, told my wife to watch him. He pooped in the house while she wasn't looking. 

It's clear to me that he thinks the house is the right place to do this. I need to catch him in the act to enforce a corrective action, not easy to do. 

The crate is doing it's job, I cant stop him at 3:00 am, so now we should be able to see it. It's just a bad habit that needs breaking. 

Hef

I'm guessing you have little or no idea about his past, so he could have some negative associations with going outside.

I treat any dog that comes into my home not house trained like I do a puppy, no matter the age. If you can't be watching him for signals that he's getting ready to go, then crate him when no one can be watching.

1 hour ago, hef said:

He pooped in the house while she wasn't looking. 

This is the clue to what you need to be doing until he understands. He'll get it. Just be patient.

So, next time you are watching the dog in the house don't take eyes off him for a moment. That way, as soon as he even starts to hunch into poop position you can hustle him outside so that he poops outside and gets praised heavily for it. Much better to create a situation where he does the right thing and gets rewarded, than to let him do the wrong thing and get a corrective action enforced. You can stop him from doing it rather than catching him in the act.

^^^ This. Stopping him from eliminating in the house is much more powerful than scolding afterwards. He might be wary of eliminating anywhere that you can see him, which definitely leads to problems with getting him to pee/poop outside. And to my way of thinking, it weakens the bond between you and the dog. Elimination is a natural and necessary thing. If he can't trust you when he's peeing/pooping, that could really affect your whole relationship.

Put him on a fixed schedule. Outside after meals at a minimum. He's on a leash or long line, not so you control him, but so you're reminded that you're out there for one reason ~ to watch for him to pee/poop. And then reward him. Depending on his response, you might want to praise calmly & quietly, and give him a treat. Or you might throw a party, with some petting and lots of treats and tons of GOOD DOG! exclamations.

You can also tether him to you if you don't want to crate him all the time. If he doesn't eliminate in front of you the first time, somehow contain him by crating or tethering to you. Take him out again in an hour or so.

It sounds like a lot, but it's not forever. He'll get there. You could talk to your vet about using a baby suppository a couple times. That way he eliminates within a reasonable time frame, and you have a little more control. Ah, one more thing. Take one of his poops outside and leave it in the area of your yard where you prefer him to poop. Walk him over there, if he sniffs it, tell him he's a good dog, give a small treat. That might reassure him that it's an okay thing to eliminate in front of you. Do it a few times a day.

Good luck, you may be working with overcoming some past 'programming'.

Ruth & GIbbs 

Thanks all, the crate is working like a champ. No mistakes since that last on Sunday morning. He doesn't seem to mind the door closing on the crate, I get the feeling he may have been crated in his past. 

There is nothing "routine" in his habits, hoping to build on that. He is outside a lot, both on walks with me, sometimes a leash, some not. He poops off leash most often, I'm okay with that. Preferably not on the neighbors deck....yes he did that, she's okay with it, but asked to not let it happen too often. 

As I said earlier, I think it's a habit that needs breaking, I think we are on our way there. 

Hef