BC Boards

Cerenia and car sickness - other suggestions?

gcv-border

Quick background: 4.5 month old new puppy. Yay. [I just realized that I haven't posted any photos. My bad. Will try to resolve.] When younger, she vomited a couple of times in her crate during a car ride. After that, I made sure not to feed her for a few hours prior if we were going anywhere in the car. She seemed all right with that. I was hoping she would grow out of this reaction (something to do with maturation of the inner ear), and she did seem to be getting better. But just recently - twice in the past 8-9 days - once she gets in the car crate, she starts immediately drooling. By the time I get to my destination, there is a puddle on the crate mat and her front legs and chest are soaked. She is now avoiding the car, and I don't blame her as she probably feels pretty crappy when riding in the car.

One of the recent visits was to the vet who suggested Cerenia. She described it to me as working on the vomit centers of the brain. I rejected it, but now am re-thinking it as a possible solution to use while I try to desensitize my pup. (Desensitization is in progress.)  I am wondering about using it as a temporary crutch to help her get over the hump during the densensitization process.  I.e. if I had to go anywhere, I could dose her so she would feel more comfortable. I am sure that every time she rides in the car and gets sick, there is a negative association.

Has anyone used Cerenia? For this situation or any other? Your experience with it and any thoughts?

Suggestions for any herbal/homeopathic/holistic remedies?

Thanks in advance.

In ten years of prescribing it, I've never seen a dog experience side effects.  I wouldn't hesitate to use it on my own pets.  That said, you can't use the higher dose meant for motion sickness more than 5 days in a row (or you will see side effects).  I would do a lot of work getting her happy in the crate in the car with it not moving and have faith that she will eventually outgrow it.

At 2 years old, Holly still drools excessively when she realizes she is going on a car ride, but she never vomits and she genuinely wants to go.  I think it's just excitement at this point.  Gilly hasn't drooled on car rides in months.  (OMG, another bad person who hasn't shared photos of their new puppy!)

Thanks Liz. My understanding is that use will be limited to only when she will be going in the car - and I don't think she travels more than once or twice a week. Vet says to give it 2 hours before transport. We didn't talk about dose though.

Journey, Thanks for the suggestion. I would be happy to try plain ginger. Do the dogs eat powdered ginger or fresh ginger by itself? Or do you disguise it in food?

I am trying to diet - so ginger snaps would be too much of a temptation. :-)

Haha! I don't like them so they're safe here..I actually use the snaps or ginger root capsules in the vitamin section. I've had it do well once, only dog that got car sick...30 minutes before the ride, I used 2 for a 30# bitch..it helped settle her stomach when she wanted to get I'll and calmed her. Good luck!

Jovi there's also 'crystalized' ginger ~ basically chunks of ginger preserved in sugar syrup. Very tasty if you like spicy. Some dogs will eat a small piece of that with no problem.

I think, but won't swear to it, that people hear have also used ginger chews or other strongly ginger flavored candies. If there's a store near you that sells it, (Trader Joe's carries a version) that might work. 

Good luck!

Ruth & GIbbs

I don't know about Cerenia, but I just wanted to write about my dear Darinka to give you hope: Darinka used to be a nightmare for riding cars ( she has to do everything in a larger than life mode).  She used to drool so much she would foam up.  She would vomit. She would be The Most Miserable Vehicled Dog in the World.   It lasted much longer than any other dog I've had.  

But the day came when I suddenly realized I  had this really  lovely traveling companion by my side instead of the reactive nightmare that she used to be.  She is so pleasant now to travel with I can't believe she made the journey  from the freaked-out drooling, upchucking, goo-covered dog to this sweet serene travelling  buddy.     So there is hope!

1. I never used any medication for her for cars, but I have used Adaptil for fireworks, and I like it because it makes dogs calm but not drowsy or "drugged" 

2. One vet told me that  some dogs react to specific frequencies of engines and a dog that vomits in one vehicle may not do that in another.   It seem to make some sense, since Darine was definitely worse in the Diesel Ford than in the gasoline Honda (unless of course it was just that Honda CR-V are way cooler ;) )