BC Boards

Odin and Ooky say hi with new addition

Been a long time since I posted! I still see many familiar faces here so hopefully some will remember Odin and I. 

In celebration of Odin turning 10 this June, we got a new puppy a couple weeks ago - Phaedra (Phae). She is from fully working parents, second cross on the parents after the first cross are doing very well on stock. She comes from cattle lines - at her ranch there weren't even any sheep for training, just practice steers :D She supposedly is likely to have a lot more style when working than Odin - more eye, which should be a big learning experience for me.

I adore her completely, but importantly so does Odin. For an only dog, he has been SO patient, playful, and seriously helpful to me and my husband. Very little snark from him and what snark there is seems entirely appropriate to direct towards a Tasmanian devil of a puppy. He's not thrilled that she gets so many treats and toys, but we have really upped his toy access (we've been a mostly toy free house for years to cut down on  obsessive fetching) and his training and treats as well.  So that helps.  I can't get over how much she loves him and how cute they are together, playing bitey face, running together, her getting the zoomies after they play. Also, now I have an entourage when I change from room to room.

She's not doing as well with our cat Bast, but that situation is improving.  Unlike when I first started posting here, I understand fully now what inappropriate behaviors towards other pets I need to be looking for. She was staring at the cat in a way I didn't like, and trying to flank her. When the cat stood her ground, it was ok, but if the cat left, or god forbid ran away, she HAD to chase. She spent a couple days in nearly-unable-to-deal levels of fixation on the cat, including fixating on the door to the room where the cat was (because of course I separated them). But the cat couldn't stay isolated forever so we have been tying her to our waists any time they aren't separated, and using a combination of corrections and body pressure when she is doing badly on the leash or obsessing over the door to the room the cat was in. Now she and the cat have had several interactions (on leash) where they touch noses, interact in a much less "herdy" way, and even wrestle (initiated by the cat). This seems to have decreased her obsession levels quite a bit.

Those of you who have raised multiple border collies will laugh at me, but she is so different from Odin! She seemed more brave with people at first, but stresses like the car seem to upset her more.  She's extremely stubborn about potty and crate training, he was so easy to train! But her focus when working on sit, down, watch me, leave it, etc are truly amazing and beyond what I remember him being able to do. And she is dramatic:lol::wub: But also so much more cuddly than Odin so far - he didn't like being cuddled or picked up even as a small pup, and she is fine with it and even loves it. 

Anyway, I hope to start a thread to track her growth and progress soon  - I think I need to figure out Flickr and all that again to post pictures in the messages here the way you'd want to for that type of thread. Hope all here are well and I am sure I will be asking for lots of advice from more experienced posters over the next year.  The puppy experience is worth it but I certainly don't always feel like I know what I am doing!

IMG_4403.jpg

IMG_4409.jpg

Phaedra is gorgeous (love the name by the way! I think if I got a girl pup I would have to consider calling her Phryne) and it sounds you will have a wonderful life together.  Enjoy the differences between her and Odin, they are all precious.

Thanks everyone! So good to “see” familiar faces here, and I’m excited to catch up with all of you and your packs too  

We went to our river today (private neighborhood beach). Her ears are starting to stand up!:wub: I love my red girl! And, though puppyhood is taxing in some ways - I’m sleep deprived and covered in mosquito bites from outside potty breaks — I have to say so far I love living in a multidog house! I wasn’t sure what to expect, I’ve only ever had one dog. But Odin and I dog sit fairly often and I’m happy to see it’s only even better when it’s your own second dog. 

9E868C34-732B-44A8-8BB8-DBB5C0AF6E75.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I got Phaedra a poker puzzle box. The instructions cautioned that it may take your dog’s weeks to figure out the first puzzle, to be patient, and try things like propping a treat with the lid open to entice them. 

She figured out all four fully closed boxes (slide lid, pull handle, drawer, and flip up top) in about 90 seconds. :lol: So now we are doing clicker training to open specific boxes with commands. 

Still so sweet. And we’re finally getting a handle on potty training.  Her ears are ridiculous!

C8361378-E77A-4C86-B8CC-D9E27A2EBDBB.jpeg

Yeah, my dogs mastered their puzzle boxes in about a minute too. Really a waste of money as mental stimulation. :lol: Yours sounds like a different type than mine and I'm glad you've found a way to get more use out of it to challenge her a bit more.

Enjoy the wonky ears while they last!

Thank you! :lol:The breeder said as much about those ears himself, apparently they are impressive even for this cross. 

I know about the puzzle boxes! I didn’t have the cash at the time due to Odin’s OCD (osteochondritis dessicans) as a pup, so was excited to get one. The instructions were honestly cute, seeing her immediately figure that this out. 

You guys, I couldn’t be more in love with her but my husband, who — as he’s a teacher off for the summer — has definitely spent more time with her, is getting tired and frustrated. I come home from work and honestly am sad at how little humor and fun he finds in any of  her puppy behaviors (and misbehaviors). I’m working from home tomorrow to give him a break. Part of it is I feel like he just will play with her for too long instead of insisting on an off switch, you know? I do take her on weekends and other random days so it’s not like I have NO idea of what she’s like, to keep her all day from reinforcing bad decisions and also just perpetrating BC puppy chaos. But also puppies are just tiring, she’s drivey, and I am confident that this too will pass, and he’ll look back upon her crazy puppyhood and ears with fondness. 

8 hours ago, Ooky said:

I feel like he just will play with her for too long instead of insisting on an off switch, you know?

Maybe he should be encouraging some down time in the crate a few times a day to give himself a break.

And remind him that not insisting on that off switch now could cement the constant go, go, go for the rest of her life and ask him if that's really what he wants in a dog. :blink:

Yes I know 100%. And she has a good off switch for her age too, you just have to help her sometimes, like any pup. We’re talking about it. It’s just hard because he’ feels like he’s worked with her all. Day. And then I seem like I’m criticizing after being away all day, when I really just want to help. (And prevent crazy dog syndrome.) Hence the working from home today, which I’m more than happy about, and will definitely involve crate time. 

The non dog trainers we love, amirite?

Ooookay...Phaedra let me work a solid 8 hours after a morning play and with a break for a lunch time walk. She rested at my feet and either slept or chewed her toys. No potty accidents. She voluntarily followed me from room to room and stayed out of trouble.  

I bet Odin really helps model the good behavior (he’s normally with me at work). And I was much more immobile because I am not doing anything but staring at my computer or taking calls for most of the day, while he usually cleans, takes care of kid, etc. I won’t entirely blame husband.  But there is NOTHING wrong with this puppy’s off switch. 

That reminds me of a story I've told here before.

I had a little border collie named Wren, busy little girl but could always be counted on to amuse herself when I wasn't actively engaged with the dogs. I left her with a friend who knew her one weekend when I went away. On my return she practically shoved the dog at me crying, "How can you live with her? I had to throw the ball for her every waking hour!"

My reply was simply, ""Did you tell her no?" Then I picked up the ball and threw it. Wren got it, brought it back clearly hoping for me. I simply said, "No. We're all done."  She dropped the ball and walked away to find something else to do.

It sounds like your pup's got your hubby pretty well trained, while with you she knows what the limits are. ;)