BC Boards

ADMIN: Please Read

Hi Everybody,

Once again we reached a point where our Boards software was out of date and no longer being supported. We had to do an upgrade, which was supposed to be seamless but as usual was not seamless. I apologize to everyone who tried to log onto the Boards the last couple of days and were unable to do so.

The new software is in place now and theoretically there should be no future problems, but we all know how that goes, so please post here to let me know if you do run into problems.

There are two significant changes that we had to make. 1) The software no longer has separate entries for username and display name, so we had to pick one or the other to serve for both. We chose display name, on the theory that it is the one most people know. A lot of the people who email me saying they can't get on the Boards are being tripped up because they forget that their username is different from their display name, and they don't remember their username. This will eliminate that problem at least. 2) There is no longer a "friends" feature, instead there is a "followers" feature. We had the choice of making all friends into followers, or dropping the "friends" function altogether. We chose to drop "friends," because on reviewing the way that "followers" would operate, it appeared that it would make formerly confidential information accessible to other people, without warning.

Again, if you have any comments, questions or complaints, please post them in this thread or contact me privately. Thank you all for your patience.

--Eileen

I was concerned as well, and am glad we are back.

Thanks so much, Eileen, for all the work you do to make this forum possible.

I am not a forum person, in fact this is the only one I follow and use, but it has become invaluable and indispensable to me.

Well, it is not as simple as I made it sound. Turns out that the new software is incompatible with the skins we are using now. ("Skins" are the design elements -- such as the blue-purple color, the dog picture in the banner, etc. -- that make the Boards look unique rather than generic. Sometime today they will revert to looking generic, the way they did before we did the last re-design. Hopefully it won't take long before we can have the skins restored, but in the meantime it will be functional but not look pretty. Again, thanks for your patience.

--Eileen

Just an FYI: I'm able to access the Boards using Internet Explorer but not Mozilla Firefox. I keep getting a window on Firefox asking me how I want to open the PHP file.

Keep in mind that I've been having some issues with my computer recently, though no trouble accessing the Boards prior to the upgrade, so I can't say for certain whether this is just my issue or not.

Thanks.

Just FYI, Eileen, this morning I tried several times to log in and the site kept telling me I had no account, so I sent you an email through the "contact us" to  let you know. As soon as I sent it, I went back to the home page and found that I was logged in. Strange. Just thought it might be useful info for you to have.

Sorry you are having to deal with these issues, and thanks for everything that you do with the Boards and everywhere else.

D'Elle

On 6/14/2018 at 2:27 PM, Eileen Stein said:

Well, it is not as simple as I made it sound. Turns out that the new software is incompatible with the skins we are using now. ("Skins" are the design elements -- such as the blue-purple color, the dog picture in the banner, etc. -- that make the Boards look unique rather than generic. Sometime today they will revert to looking generic, the way they did before we did the last re-design. Hopefully it won't take long before we can have the skins restored, but in the meantime it will be functional but not look pretty. Again, thanks for your patience.

--Eileen

I think it looks fine like this. Functional. 

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 1:32 PM, Smalahundur said:

... Functional. 

Not entirely? At least for me anyway.

I'm still not able to get access on Firefox. And it always defaults to the first post in a thread when I click "Unread Content." Not the end of the world, of course, but when the thread has multiple pages it's an extra step to have to go to the last page or even to have to scroll down to get to the most recent posts.

And I miss the skins too. ;)

Still, continued appreciation for the work going into maintaining the site.

Boards down for three days? I and at least one other person couldn't log in, anyway.

Now seems to be taking a long time to load pages.

Seems Eileen is still having trouble with it, and I am sending my good energy and mojo for the problems to get cleared up soon.

Sadly, we ARE still having trouble.  There are memory resource issues that our website host and the software manufacturers are working together (read: arguing and pointing fingers) to try to overcome.  That is what's behind the problems you report, D'Elle, and I thank you (and everybody) for your patience and good wishes.  We hope to have this all worked out soon.

--Eileen

I had not been able to access the Boards since last week, it would just come up with an error message (and I should have taken a screen shot but did not, sorry).  I had faith that things would be fixed again.  Thank you to Eileen for her hard work. 

I was also unable to access the boards for a few days. (Just passing along the info, not complaining ☺). Thanks so much for the efforts Eileen. These boards and the kind members here have been very helpful to me in raising my first Border Collie. I appreciate all you do to keep this site running.