BC Boards

Puppies

Bouncers22

Hello...my Border Collie had puppies about 8 weeks before we got her (6 weeks ago). The breeder said that she would lose a lot of hair and another woman, when I mentioned that she just had puppies, said she would be "naked as a jay bird." I was wondering if anybody knew how much hair she is actually going to lose, and how long it will take her to lose it (she started to really shed about a week or two ago). Thank you for your help!

She won't go bald but her hair will thin out alot.It can come out in clumps for a few weeks.Then it takes a couple of months to grow back.Part of nature.Some say the diet reflects it and some who are on the raw diet say it never happens.But with the raw diet you need to research it alot before attempting it.Could be just their personal experience or luck.But it's natural to "blow their coat".It's summer-she'll enjoy it.

In my experience some bitches don't lose their coat until the pups are nearly weaned.

If you think she is really out of condition (lack of calcium can be a problem with a big litter) a course of vitamins is never wasted and they are quite cheap and reaadily available.

She will probably lose her coat over her stomach and inside back legs and her tail will thin out. All absolutley normal and the coat should come back within three months, depending on the weather (it takes longer in hotter climes.)

Sue