BC Boards

Lad

Bill Orr

Lad, or as registered "Boone's Lad" (11/22/2004 - 5/30/2018), physically departed this orb yesterday. He had a good run -nearly 14 1/2 years. He was a good trial dog, working livestock dog, friend, clown, fearless protector, adaptable companion to man and their other pests.

He lived with us in SC and Oregon. He lived with Shauna Wilson and Mario Galianno in Yreka, CA. All of us loved him. He was Mario's dog last, managing Shauna's sheep and overseeing her collection of dogs. Shauna fulfilled the necessary but terrible responsibility of letting Lad go when it was his time.

Lad was a big, black dog. Son of my Boone and Keena Turner's Kyrie, he could move our sheep from 50 yards away with a glance from outside the pasture. He would fearlessly take ahold of nose, ear, lip, or tongue of any livestock who challenged him - no cheap grips. He came along while I was making progress in learning to train and trial, but I didn't yet know how to handle the different capabilities of dogs. Also, his training was following Boone who was a wonder. I did many things wrong and I ask my dogs' spirits to forgive me.

Lad got along with all our dogs. Never cross or a bully. He competed hard for the soccer ball or ground squirrels. He won Nursery and Open sheep dog trials, placed in Cattle trials, moved and controlled goats and ducks. Travelling with him and Boone across the West was my finest moment.

He had a big smile and was a comfy couch potato. What a water dog - the irrigation ditches in Oregon were an adventure for him.

I'll never forget him and more than anything hope for a reunion when it's our time.

O Laddie Boy

Oh, Laddie Boy, the trials, the trials are calling.

From Red Creek Farm on down Zamora way.

The summer's gone and all the leaves are falling,

'Tis you, 'Tis you must go and I must bide.

But come ye back when sheep are in the meadow,

Or when the valley's hushed with snow,

I'll be there in sunshine or in shadow,

Oh, Laddie Boy, oh Laddie Boy, I love you so!

But when ye come, and all our trials are faded,

If I am dead, as dead I'll be,

Ye'll come and find the place where I am lying,

And sit and have a thought of me.

And I shall hear, though soft you tread above me.

And all my grave shall warmer, sweeter be,

For you shall bow and tell me that you love me,

And I shall sleep in peace until you come to me!

Oh Laddie Boy, Oh Laddie Boy, I love you so.

So sorry to hear such a good dog had to depart your life. It is hard to lose such a friend.

I do the same thing you did with the song.....I take songs and write my own words to them in tribute to my dogs. Each one of mine has his or her own.

My condolences to you.

• 4 weeks later...