BC Boards
Luana

walking backward

Many young dogs come in too tight, up the middle, circle at the top and many novices correct them w/o leaving the post. The c-shaped OR results.   The outrun is the sheepdog's psychic motor and it is much easier to screw up than improve.  You can, and some have, pattern train the OR with a fence.  You can, and most farmers do, simply let the dog figure the outrun on its own  because dopey outruns MAKE THINGS HARDER for the dog. Most will get there in the end.

The only effective, safe outrun correction I know is Derek Scrimigeors. It is also useful for redirecting a more complex outrun later.

The instant the dog starts to go wrong, he downs it - sometimes five yards from his feet.  He walks to the dog, saying" Down, down" so dog doesn't restart, gets between the dog and the sheep, blocking the dog and smites the earth on the error side and resends.  If the dog goes wrong further out: repeat.

Donald

On 7/13/2018 at 12:22 PM, Donald McCaig said:

Many young dogs come in too tight, up the middle, circle at the top and many novices correct them w/o leaving the post. The c-shaped OR results.   The outrun is the sheepdog's psychic motor and it is much easier to screw up than improve.  You can, and some have, pattern train the OR with a fence.  You can, and most farmers do, simply let the dog figure the outrun on its own  because dopey outruns MAKE THINGS HARDER for the dog. Most will get there in the end.

The only effective, safe outrun correction I know is Derek Scrimigeors. It is also useful for redirecting a more complex outrun later.

The instant the dog starts to go wrong, he downs it - sometimes five yards from his feet.  He walks to the dog, saying" Down, down" so dog doesn't restart, gets between the dog and the sheep, blocking the dog and smites the earth on the error side and resends.  If the dog goes wrong further out: repeat.

Donald

i will try what you are suggesting. today was our first day in the open (meaning a large fenced field, that is all I have available). it was not horrible, I was able to work much better on flanking in both directions and wearing, but the outruns did not go well...very tight.