BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
JohnLloydJones

Rejuvenating dogs?

Not buying into this. The described technologies work in theory, but putting it into practice is still a long way off.

Even "simple" genetic diseases like M. Duchenne can't be healed at the moment, alltough the faulty gene is known, and could theoretically be engineered out and replaced by a healthy one.

Apart from that I think that whèn it would work, and become available the consequences could be horrible. (I like dystopian science fiction :) ).

NB. I think Obamacare is a much more realistic way to raise human life expectancy in the US...

I agree w/Smalahundur. I believe there's a 'Law of Unintended Consequences'. Don't even want to think about that in terms of genetic engineering.

Ruth & Gibbs

I agree w/Smalahundur. I believe there's a 'Law of Unintended Consequences'. Don't even want to think about that in terms of genetic engineering.

Ruth & Gibbs

Agree, I dont like that there messing with genetics. Somethings should be just left alone...

I think that there's no doubt they will accomplish this at some point. Not in my lifetime, perhaps not in the lifetime of anyone now here. But unless there is TEOTWAWKI, this will happen.

Like many things human beings have done, it will be done by people who can make money from it, and without full consideration of the possible consequences Those consequences are more likely to be bad than good.

The planet is already seriously over populated.

Of course, I would like the chance to let my dog live longer, even just a few years, as many of us no doubt would.

I honestly just don't understand the desire to live forever, even though I know a lot of people do want it. I've spent too much time visiting nursing homes and hearing the really older people, especially the centenarians, saying they simply don't see the point and that they wished they'd just die. There was just the 104 year old Australian scientist who went to went to Switzerland to take advantage of their assisted suicide laws. He wasn't terminally ill; he just didn't want to live any longer. People's quality of life at that age really isn't much to envy, and taking care of them is a drain on resources on an already over-taxed planet. I wouldn't want to force anyone to end their life, but preserving life at all costs never made much sense to me.

Same for my dogs. Although there have been one and now a second who just might push my ethical envelope a bit. :ph34r:

Actually there are recombinant RNA drugs in human trial for the treatment of Huntington's disease as we speak. In animal studies, it not only stopped the progression of Huntington's, it also reversed some symptoms, which in my opinion, is better than could have been imagined. Amazing technology for a horrible disease. Technology is the same used for muscular dystrophy.

https://en.hdbuzz.net/249

That being said, let's not play with animal genetics to reverse aging just because we feel like it. Feels irresponsible and like we're opening up a can of worms here..

Wouldn't want to live forever, myself. I already think I was born at least 50 years later than I should have been. Certainly wouldn't want to keep living past the point of no longer being able to fend for myself.

For my animals, there have been a couple whom I would have kept forever at the age of 4 or 5, at the peak of their physical development, if the magic had existed that I could do so. But I say "magic". Actually tampering with genes is another thing entirely and brings in all kinds of issues.

I probably wouldn't choose to do it just because I selfishly wanted my dog to live as long as I do, because I see the future of such a thing to be a nightmare.