BC Boards

Question about Ivermectin

HI,

I've used Ziemectin (main ingredient Ivermectin) for years on my dogs (non BC'S) and never had any problems with it. I saw the post here on reactions to Ivermectin by BC's. Have I missed something? Do BC's have an unusual intolerance for Ivermectin? I haven't used it on my pup yet due to his age but I don't want to cause a problem if the breed is predisposed to problems from Ivermectin.

Thanks

Guest PrairieFire

Hey KC - there's evidence that there COULD be sensitivity to Ivomec based products - and I personally know someone whose Border Collie died when it licked an empty, but used, drench gun that had been used for drenching sheep - no telling about the dose, but with products like Interceptor on the market for heartworm, I just use them...

------------------

Bill Gary

Kensmuir, Working Stockdog Center

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Some collies (first seen in the Lassie, but also in close relatives) have a sensitivity to Ivermectin products. Don't quote me, but I believe they lack an enzyme to help break down the stuff and it becomes toxic in fairly small dosages. That is to say, it might not affect your dog, but with other products on the market, WHY take the chance?

BTW, did you ever get in touch with Kevin?

Pam

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this conversation on the Ivermectin - and now this worry wart is concerned - my bc has been taking this

med under nmae Heartgard, this will be his 3rd year. Our vet keeps them on it 12 months a year - have not seen anything icky except the first year when they tried chewables which he would not consume willingly - he is not a great "beef" guy - preference is chickn, tuna and cheeses - what should I watch for or would a problem have already occured with the Heasrtgard - I don't want anything happening to my buddy. Would the effects be cumulative?

does it make a difference that he is a very large unneutered male - 76 lbs - he is veryyyyy tall and long, lean and muscular

he did have a reaction to his first round of rabies, and the other basics and gets an antiinflammatory each year.

If I need to beat feet back to the vet if it is a cumulative effect I need to know asap.

thanks all

sue

Guest PrairieFire

Sue - Heartgard has been given to many dogs - including my own before the developement of Interceptor - without apparent problems - but with the release of Interceptor, I figure why take a chance...?

------------------

Bill Gary

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Sue, SOME dogs have problems with ivermectin, not all. If your dog doesn't have a problem, he probably will not, but another dog could die from ivermectin. From what I know, when ivermectin first come on the US market there were deaths in some collies linked to ivermectin use. In fact, some dogs even got sick (perhaps death?) when eating the manure from cows heavily dosed with it. But ivermectin sensitivity is not seen in ALL collie type dogs even within the 'Lassie" types. heartguard is supposed to be collie safe, but there are stories which lead one to suspect it can be deadly in the odd dog.

Pam

The other thought, Sue, is your dog's weight (NOT that he weighs too much!). But I believe the "cut-off" for different doses is 75 pounds. Actually, I think the inserts read, "25 to 50 pounds," "50 to 75 pounds," and "75 pounds...whatever." I have one in this situation (mixed breed) and I try to have him "slimmed down" anyway, but especially when doses like this are being issued. He usually gains a few pounds in winter, then loses them over the summer.

Anyway, it always disturbs me to think about....giving him the lower dose, and maybe its not enough, or giving him the higher dose and essentially overdosing. All this on top of, "Gee, Ms. Consumer, we the manufacturers know it doesn't always work 100% effectively even when given properly." Sigh.

Maybe Denise or someone else knowledgeable could comment on the weight/dose issue...?

Thanks.

diane

Guest PrairieFire

Couple more thoughts on the issue we haven't brought up for some time...

Diane, your comment on "it doesn't always work" is very true - the company that makes Heartgard has treated three dogs I know of personally that could prove they were on it year round and still got heartworm - so I test every year anyway...

And, Sue, I would question your vet keeping your dog on it year round - unless you are in real Southern Illinois - mosquitos aren't a year round problem...

------------------

Bill Gary

River Falls, WI

www.kensmuir.com

Well, feel little better but gonna talk to this vet on the heartgard - wt range is 51-100 lbs on the pill and yep - my other dogs

in the past were only on it 9 months of the year - i think ended in Dec. after good freeze but that was like 6-7 years before I got Beau. we are northern illinois near Wisconsin border - McHenry county

Weight wize he is just a giant economy size boy, with a well defined body and "can't pinch an inch" anywhere on this guy. the breeder's son said daddy - "zeus" was a big working dog too and he is the spitting image of him. He eats when hungry - or not eat - don't care what I put down - if he isn't hungry he will not eat it! especially in hot weather.

thanks for all input - i am now breathing normal again.

sue and Beau