BC Boards

Size and Weight Comparisons

JTaylo93

Hello All,

My BC, Olive, is just over 13 months and 27 lbs. She hasn't grown in a few months and while she appears to be very healthy, I can't help but notice she still seems then, I encourage her to eat and drink plenty, however she stays relatively the same size. This is my first BC and I am madly in love with the breed now. I am not sure if it is just the breed I am not used to size-wise or not. I did some searching, but it's always hard to tell through other posts what the "right" size should be.

Thank you in advance!

post-19918-0-73239700-1502374404_thumb.jpg

Welcome to the Boards, and congratulations on your beautiful pup.

There is no "right" size for a border collie. Until recently they weren't bred for appearance at all, just for working ability. So if a small dog could work its sheep proficiently, well, then it was the perfect size. Ditto for a larger dog.

At 13 months Olive isn't likely to grow much more, if at all. Border collies tend to mature at a younger age than many other breeds, so as a female she's likely come close to her maximum growth. She may fill out a little as she matures, but unlikely she'll get any taller than she in now.

I'd worry more at this point if you try to get her to eat more she'll just put on too much weight. Make sure you can feel her ribs easily to maintain a healthy weight. Feeding her more won't make her grow more in over all size, just in girth and that's not a good thing.

I'd love to have one that size. If you decide she's too small for your liking, I'll take her off your hands. (JK . . . sorta.) :lol:

p.s. I used to live in your area, in New Tripoli, nearer New Smithville. Worked for the Northern Berks & East Penn Valley Merchandisers so am very familiar with Fleetwood. Is the hardware(?) store with all the stuffed game animals still there? It used to make be cry to see all the wolves, killed for nothing more than to be trophies.

Yep, size is relative. Most of my adult female border collies arein the 28-35 pound range. My male is slightly larger at 43 lbs. Then I got a pup from a breeding I really liked. His parents and grandparents are big dogs. He weighs 42 lbs at 8 months old. He is not fat and clearly needs to fill out, which means he's going to end up even heavier. Gah! But of course I got him not for his projected size, but rather because I liked his breeding.

I've had youngsters whom I considered thin, but eventually they all filled out nicely (one took until she was into middle age). I just look at them and put my hands on them and adjust their food up or down, depending on what I'm seeing and feeling. A weight of 27 lbs isn't excessively small, though it is on the low end of the range. If she's healthy and eats well I wouldn't worry about her.

J.

My Lizzie is a petite thing. Her body reminds me more of a whippet or Italian greyhound. She is bullet fast and when not at a compete stop she is in fourth gear. She goes and goes and goes. I offer her lots more food than anyone else, some days she eats it other days she does not. Her mom was like that, she did not fill out and put on weight till around 3 so no worries. The little speed demon is fun on sheep and even is learning to down shift when appropriate and only use jet fuel on outruns.

Thank you for all of the replies. It makes me feel much better knowing that she is still within her size limits. I personally love her size, I think she is perfect. Being new to the breed I know everyone talked about how active they are, but I never thought it would be like this! Fetch with the frisbee and ball is non-stop and after she is worn out a bit from that then we tend to go for a walk or a job and she still wants more.

It seems that she will literally go until she drops so I try to put an end to it when I know she is getting tired rather than letting her find her limit. Very loving and won't leave my side though which is my favorite trait and one I wouldn't trade for the world.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I am glad I joined the forum! So much information to take in and learn from. Currently looking at either getting Olive to do some agility runs or get her more into frisbee and there is plenty to read about both on the site.

Thank you!

Thank you for all of the replies. It makes me feel much better knowing that she is still within her size limits. I personally love her size, I think she is perfect. Being new to the breed I know everyone talked about how active they are, but I never thought it would be like this! Fetch with the frisbee and ball is non-stop and after she is worn out a bit from that then we tend to go for a walk or a job and she still wants more.

It seems that she will literally go until she drops so I try to put an end to it when I know she is getting tired rather than letting her find her limit. Very loving and won't leave my side though which is my favorite trait and one I wouldn't trade for the world.

I have been doing a lot of reading and I am glad I joined the forum! So much information to take in and learn from. Currently looking at either getting Olive to do some agility runs or get her more into frisbee and there is plenty to read about both on the site.

Thank you!

Just a word of caution - make sure you are the one who says when play time starts and stops and how long it lasts. You do not need to play until she's exhausted. It's a bit of an old wives tale that border collies need endless physical activity. In fact, you could inadvertently train her to require constant activity, and that is not what you want to live with for her entire life! :P

A border collie is as easily worn out by exercising their minds. Look into trick training or nose work or freestyle obedience, things that will engage her with you and make her work that clever little noodle. Name her toys, hide things and ask her to find them - anything that requires her to think and engage you.

And make sure you also train her to accept time outs. Quiet time is good for both of you. Otherwise, you'll be living with a small, furry, hyperactive 2-year-old child for the next 14+/` years. :rolleyes:

BTW, you can share photos if you want!

Thank you Gloria,

That is something I learned through a fellow border collie owner a few months ago. How you can also mentally exhaust the dog in order to wear her out a bit! My fiance and I have both had dogs our entire lives, labs for her, mixes for me, and it blows my mind how intelligent these little Border Collies are! She picks up tricks insanely quick, but then tries to guess what you are going to tell her next so you have to keep mixing it up!

She keeps us guessing that's for sure! I wouldn't trade her for the world at the point. This breed just keeps blowing me away with the intelligence and agility!