BC Boards

What fresh hell is this?!

Well, it's deplorable but it's nothing new.

In Britain they are called "collie doodles", and have been around for some time. Some dog sport people there like them.

We can only hope that it won't catch on here. But I see more "golden doodles" all the time.

In the UK they're called crossbreeds by those who aren't easily conned.

I can't understand why anyone would buy a high maintenance dog in grooming terms but then I don't believe in unnecessary work.

She's failed to make a significant mark in the working world but made a moderate impression in the sport world, although nowadays there seem to be fewer with her affix competing than there were. Maybe that's why she's literally upped sticks and moved from Scotland and is apparently diversifying?

She's basically said that people no longer pay enough for her Border Collie puppies so she's heading in a newer, hopefully more profitable, direction.

I don't think there's a respectable working Border Collie breeder who will have anything to do her. She's a temendously high-volume, color breeder with a sport and pet market. She may have been valid once but that's a long time ago.

By the way, she's stated that publicity, good or bad, is still publicity and that's good for her sales. She's quite a piece of work.

I think the doodle craze is dying down around here.

I see a lot of little dog crosses - pugs and chi and Maltese and yorkie crosses. Puggles are big sellers.

Now people are getting French bulldogs and English bulldogs. Both breeds have terrible health problems so that craze won't last very long. kind of like the Sharpei craze. That was pretty short lived. They had bad temperaments and bad health problems.

Mini Golden Doodles are obscenely popular here. Especially the red ones. I did see a Mini Aussie Doodle the other week. He is 8 months old and having at least one seizure a day, not responding to phenobarbital either and quite aggressive. Little dog crosses are very popular too.

I am taking care of a smaller golden doodle puppy right now. He looks like a golden. He is a nice puppy. He is very outgoing and not afraid of anything.

I also take care of a large something doodle and she is a nice dog, too. But big.

I see a few mini Aussies. But I am seeing a lot of English bulldogs. Seems like American bulldogs are getting more popular but I won't take care of them. I almost got eaten my one. They are really strong and can be aggressive. I don't take care of any of the bully breeds any more. except the little ones.

As far as designer crosses go, poodles x collies are far from the worst I've seen--both intelligent, active breeds, not an obvious health disaster. Of course it blows my mind that people pay thousands of dollars for dogs they should be getting for a $70 adoption fee at the town shelter. Unfortunately, as long as the market exists, people will pop up like mushrooms to fill it :(

Met a lovely 3/4 pug 1/4 bichon the other day. Looked just like a long-legged pug, like the old ones you see in oil paintings. Its eyes were prominent but not horrifying and it didn't make scary noises. I'd be very happy if suitable, sustained outcrossing could get the pug to that and I would consider getting one myself. Couldn't get one now, the thought of being unable to breathe petrifies me.