BC Boards

Keeping cast dry

simba

Sorry if this has been asked and answered before, I can't find anything when searching the forums.

My dog has a dislocated toe, and wounds to a leg. I live in a very humid, rainy area and need to find a way to keep the foot dry. Even indoors when it is dry, she is slipping on the cast as it doesn't have a lot of traction. An elderly dog with bad knees and hips can't really afford a slip here and there, to my mind.

Any ideas? Do dog boots work? Are there any cheaper solutions? I was looking out for non-slip socks for small kids but couldn't find any.

Do you know anyone who is a nurse at a hospital that has children as patients? I know that I've often been given a pair of non-slip socks when I've been in a hospital setting, even as an outpatient for a short procedure. Perhaps you could purchase a pair there?

As for the cast, can you put some non-slip tread material on the bottom? Sometimes a shoe shop will have stick-on or glue-on traction patches for putting on the bottom of leather or other slick soles. If you could attach something like that, you might find it helps.

Keeping it dry while keeping traction is going to be another problem, and more difficult. A dog boot, as you conjectured, or some other waterproof covering where you have put traction pads on the bottom? A sturdy, long, slender bag perhaps with traction pads, using vetwrap or some form of tape at the top to hold it on when needed?

Dunno if they're available in the UK, but I was given a sample of Pawz Dog Boots that look like they might work for something like that. https://www.amazon.com/Purple-Water-Proof-Boots-Large-Disposable-reusable/dp/B00626US7G/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1498926043&sr=8-2&keywords=pawz&refinements=p_n_shipping_option-bin%3A3242350011

They're like heavy latex balloons, which should provide some traction and also be waterproof. Different sizes & colors available.

I would think you would want as much air flow as possible so would not cover inside. Might find socks with 'traction' in the sleepwear section. Might be able to use double stick tape strips, carpet type tape or ask vet for elasakon (SP?) I do not think boots will stay on well, all the ones I have seen are short.

Outside I put a large thick plastic bag on her foot. Many vets will cut empty iv fluid bag because they are very tough.

For outside I always use an empty IV bag. Cut pff the end where the IV line is place, cut a few slits in that end and thread some gauze through so you can tie it on once you slip it over the cast. Don't leave it on in the house because it will hold moisture in on the cast.

J.