BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Ludi

New Additions!

Back in January, my husband and I moved from our apartment flat in the city of Reims, to a house set in 1.5 acres, 30 minutes away, in the countryside. Moving out here has allowed me to rent 2ha of grazing for our future flock of Ouessant and Hebridean sheep. But before those sheep join us, we have quite a lot of cleaning-up needing to be done in our garden! So for that task, we decided to employ two pygmy goat wethers and a Cameroon ewe lamb.

96h5KwM.jpg

pTK7orb.jpg

NZeLPxs.jpg

They're all fairly easy keepers and steadily making their way through the small area we've fenced off for them. But, bless them, they are all quite little creatures so it looks like we may need to help these "lawnmowers" with a mechanical one!

In dog-related photos, here are some of Meg yesterday during a sheepdog training day. I will upload the others on a separate thread. I'm really getting the hang of this camera! My husband can't say the same, unfortunately, so his pictures of me and my dog were quite tiny! :D

18446964_1643967235633262_91969210807537

18485893_1643967315633254_61449911815869

18485405_1643967968966522_32675160083247

Let me know how you like the Ouessant sheep. I've been interested in the breed.

Cute goats! I know some people hate them, but I always enjoyed mine. I like friendly, furry lawn mowers better than the mechanical kind.

Thank you :)

I have a lot of experience with Ouessants by now; they are a popular first choice for smallholders like me just getting into sheep husbandry out here. Small, very rustic, good mothers and there's no chance they'll be ripping up paddocks with their tiny little hooves! People on the Internet say they can be escape artists, but I've found that not to be the case when one has used netting over barbed wire. Ouessants make great training sheep since they remain very light, and can go all day without tiring, which is definitely not the case for the sheep at our agricultural college...

I much prefer the furry lawnmowers over the mechanical ones! Our hamlet has rules on when stuff like mowers or saws can be used (noise pollution, I guess) so it's really for the best that I got these 3!

I wonder if I can find any in the USA? Can I confess to being fascinated with the tiny sheep? Though, I also really love Gotlands.

I'm also fascinated by them! The Ouessant lambs are tiny, like little Yorkshire Terriers!

Oh no, now I really want some! I can't help but cuddle the lambs and kids from time to time. :wub:

Haha I thought I was the only one! When I was working in Scotland, I did sometimes scoop up the lovely fat Texel lambs for a quick cuddle. They don't smell terribly sheepy in the beginning, and they are just irresistible! :wub::wub: