BC Boards

Black Jack

WyoBC

I knew this day would come but I didn't think it would have been yesterday. After 10 and a half years of having my best friend at my side I had to make the call to put him to sleep. He fought back and nerve problems until he couldn't walk anymore. I couldn't watch him not enjoy life anymore. I feel blessed that the whole weekend before I got to stay home and spend it with just him. We sat in the grass for a couple hours and I told him how much I loved him and always will. Packing him out the door was the hardest thing I have ever had to do. I knew it was for the best but that doesn't make it any easier. I'm lost without him and what's hard is knowing there probably will never be another dog that I have such a bond and connection with. I remember looking at his photo in the news paper from the shelter while I was waiting to adopt him thinking "I'm going to bring you home" and now all I can do is look at his photo again but this time he's waiting for me. You better be guarding the gates for me bud. I love you more than words can say. You were the best dog any one could ever ask for. A true best friend and once in a lifetime companion. Life goes by in a blink of an eye, don't take one minute for granted.

post-5844-0-92833300-1494439239_thumb.jpg

I was just there myself, and was remembering and crying all over again not 20 minutes ago. I know how much it hurts. I wish you peace and comfort though it seems either is impossible now. And I am here to tell you that although the pain does last, it gets better. You cry less often, your breath catches in your throat less often, and the truly happy memories begin to surface in a way that makes you smile again. Bless you in this time of grief.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. It has been the toughest time in my life and even though I knew it was coming I still wasn't as prepared as I thought. The hardest part is that I did everything with him so no matter what I do I think of him and how alone it feels without him. But that also tells me that he had a great life and got to do so many things. Even though it hurts I wouldn't have traded the time I had with him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

What a big loss for you, WyoBC. In May 2015 I lost two Border Collies. So I can imagine how hard it feels for you. I wish you power to overwind this hard situation. I feel with you.