BC Boards
Tommy Coyote

Another needless dog attack

This came across my FB feed tonight and I liked it a lot.

http://www.collared-scholar.com/raise-really-saving-pit-bull-breed/

Now that is the most level-headed thing I have ever read concerning this issue. I hope that article goes around and is read by many thousands of people. I agree with everything it says.

The thing is everyone, including people, is a product of genetics.

People like to argue that point because they do not want to believe that it applies to them.

Yep ~ I think of it as a kind of control thing. 'If you'd just raised your dog(s) correctly and not beaten them every day/fed them cheap kibble/socialized them correctly' they'd be fine!'

And the implication is 'MY wonderful dog is SOOOO wonderful solely because I did everything right. Neener neener'.

Gah.

Ruth & Gibbs

Yep ~ I think of it as a kind of control thing. 'If you'd just raised your dog(s) correctly and not beaten them every day/fed them cheap kibble/socialized them correctly' they'd be fine!'

And the implication is 'MY wonderful dog is SOOOO wonderful solely because I did everything right. Neener neener'.

Gah.

Ruth & Gibbs

This happens in all areas of life.

It's a way of 'protecting themselves' from the reality that they, too, could have a dog with serious issues. If something tragic happens it must be the fault of some action or inaction or decision made. It can't be something outside their control. If it was, they'd have to acknowledge that it could happen to them. And, sadly, they can't do that - or, more infuriatingly, won't.

Dear Doggers,

Genetics rule. My Border Collies are - in differing degrees - obsessive. My rescue coonhound uses his bark to express joy and as a weapon of intimidation with other dogs (he can chase our least powerful guard dog off her food). Once he's learned something (recall, housebreaking) he forgets less readily than the Border Collies and he's stubborn in ways they're not.

All this in a pleasant, intelligent, happy pet dog. I'd have to see a lot more coonhounds before I could decide which of his actions are genetic and which individual. He's rain phobic - maybe that's personal.

Donald McCaig