BC Boards

2017 Bluegrass Classic SDT

One of North America's oldest, largest, and most respected sheepdog trials will be held once again at beautiful Masterson Station Park in lovely Lexington, Kentucky, May 17-21. If you have the chance to go and watch any of the two two-day sanctioned Open classes, four sanctioned Nursery classes, two each Ranch, Pro-Novice, and Novice classes, or the Double-Lift, International Shed Final, do yourself a favor and do so! It is free to the public, dog-friendly (all dogs on leash and mannerly, please, and a large dog park is right there), has food and vendors, and is an outstanding opportunity to watch the best dog and handler teams in North America compete at one of the most beautiful venues there is.

And, whether or not you can attend, you can help support this trial by sponsoring a class or trophies and ribbons. Or, you can purchase an ad in our program, where you can memorialize a favorite dog or person, acknowledge a mentor, wish luck to a competitor, or advertise your product, service, or website.

Find out more about the Bluegrass Classic at our website, https://bluegrassclassic.wordpress.com/ or access our sponsorship/ad form at https://bluegrassclassic.wordpress.com/sponsorships/

Thanks for your consideration!

One of these years I'll make it there...

It's a big commitment in terms of mileage, time, and money. Certainly worth it if and when you can but understandably not an option for everyone at any particular time.

I started going when I ran Celt in Novice back in 2005 and never ran a dog there again but picked up a couple of volunteer slots that year and have gone back every year since as a volunteer. It means a lot to me and I hope I can continue helping out until I get to see you send your dog on the field at Masterson Station Park someday.

I would love to but sadly the US is not a very attractive country to travel to these days.

For some of us already here, it is stressful as well. I'll leave it at that.

This is an absolute class trial and I'm looking forward to running Bar on that big gorgeous field. This will be my 4th trip to the Bluegrass. Great sheep, great set out crew, the aforementioned gorgeous field, and the top dogs and hands in North America. Oh, and a fibre festival for all those knitters out there! Then there is the whiskey trail, the horse farms, the fried chicken ... :)

Sorry for having dragged politics into your topic Sue.

What I actually meant (and should have made clearer) is the practical trouble you can have travelling to the US nowadays. The breach of privacy you are submitted to, and the possibility of long delays at the airport, possibly (even seemingly random) being turned back after arriving. I don't have the time or money to take such a risk.

Is it possible to follow this trial online?

We post the scores at Handlerspost.Com but I am not aware of any live streaming. Last year's videos are still available from Cat bird Video as DVD or streaming for purslane or rent.

The few bad apples in the barrel make it difficult for all the good apples...

• 2 weeks later...

It's not too late to help support the Bluegrass! We are now taking orders for tee-shirts, long-sleeve tees, hoodies, and caps. You can print out and submit an order form and payment via our website at bluegrassclassicsdt.wordpress.com. Under "information" you will find the link to the page for 2017 merchandise. Under "information" you will also find the link to the volunteer page.

Sales of shirts, hoodies, and caps help support the trial financially. And it takes a small army of volunteers to make the trial run efficiently and smoothly. Please consider being a support and a part of the Bluegrass by purchasing our merchandise and/or being a volunteer - you'll be a part of one of North America's oldest, largest, and most prestigious stockdog trials, one that is respected internationally, and helping to perpetuate the tradition of a grand trial in the heart of Bluegrass country!