BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Jeanne Joy

Mountain Goats and Bighorn Sheep

May be of interest to some. The Department of Interior has been testing ways to implement stockdogs in their management programs for several decades. In 1987, I was honored to be part of their bison project using Australian Shepherds. Here a Border Collie is being used to manage mountain goats and bighorn sheep.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/news/2017/03/10/glacier-national-park-bark-ranger-dog/

Wow! Thank you for sharing. I really enjoyed perusing this. I love how adopting a BC mix has opened a whole new world of interesting things that I never would have learned about, otherwise.

yes, i was asked about doing this in BC

No reason why you can't. I was hired by the Department of Interior for their wild bison project:

http://www.lasrocosa.com/lasrocosahistory5.html

well, actually, i am ranching fulltime for a living. this was too far away so iwould be away too long and they couldn 't make my day rate which i make dogbreaking cows, or gathering here. which is the extra work i do . but sounded interesting

I can totally relate to that. I was doing contract work during that season of my life, so it worked out well for me. I was blessed to have family minding the home fires.

Both cases described in that link are accidents caused by extreme stupidity of the visitors involved. How stupid do you have to be to stand 3 to 5 feet from such an animal? You are not living in a disney movie for crying out loud!.

People never seem to learn in spite of repeated warnings.

Yes and he lived to tell. Lol!