BC Boards

Rave rocked the house!

Rave

well I promised pics... these are actually from this weekend, not last. The first one's a bit fuzzy, but I still like it for showing Rave's intensity and focus,,, which just kicked in today, BTW. :rolleyes:

IMG_8021.jpg

IMG_7610.jpg

It was nice to meet Cindy today!! Although I never got to see her run, as she was in the only ring I wasn't running in...lol. Hope to see you around some more Cindy - and meet your dog!

-Laura

Chucka-who?? lol we're doing usdaa and aac in october so far, but tell me about this other one. Although I think I've had enough nadac for awhile though... just hard to take it seriously after doing so much usdaa. (no offense to anyone doing nadac, it's just not my pref)

maybe some of you locals can tell me what's up with the anti-barking sentiment in WA State? back east, only the ACK trials have {some} people anal about not ever allowing their dogs to bark; I guess as a carry-over from conformation. Here, I was yelled at this past weekend (nadac) by no less than 4 people for letting Wick bark during her warmup before her run. In my 10 years of trialling in 15+ states, I've NEVER met such people more anal about not allowing barking. What's up with that????

Well, this is the first place I have done Agility. And yes, people don't like barky dogs. On or off course. And, I don't either - cuz it could skrew up my run and it is really LOUD etc etc. However I don't ever go and tell people to quiet their dogs, but I don't like it.

Maybe it is all the rain or something, but it is a fact that people here tend frown apon vocal dogs.

I thought it would be like that everywhere......I guess not. But if your dog needs to bark though to do a good warm up - I am not gonna stop you! :D But don't expect all other people here to feel the same. :rolleyes:

Laura,

I agree with the Nadac part!

I live in Ct lots of Akc Trial . mostly work out of my car and the dogs are good most of the time but sometimes they can bark . I tell others they can tell them to be quite.

I have never seen or heard any one yell at someone for there dogs barking in the warm up jump. If someone YELLED at me for leting my dog bark while I was next on the line ,As long as my dog was not distracting a dog at the start line I would lough at them.Once any of my dogs are on Line they are quite. but in NE ngland we have many barking dogs So what !

Kat , many of the top handlers dogs are barky bobh

Perhaps I should offer to go around to local classes then and help people proof their dogs against barking?? It's just another distraction to train through if your dog is sensitive to it. I try to stay as far away from the dog on the line as possible, but in some of these crowded arenas, that's pretty hard. I didn't see any dogs affected by it, just owners.

I've also noticed a lack of playing with your dog after runs. Or is that my imagination? Or because of the close space inside, does everyone run outside to reward play after runs? I wait until I'm the 10' from the ring and then will start tugging with my girls.

I'm curious to hear about other areas and their attitude towards barking dogs.

Originally posted by wicked:

I'm curious to hear about other areas and their attitude towards barking dogs.

Can't stand 'em. :rolleyes: Just kidding, come up to Canada and bark your fool head off. Barkings Wicks!

BTW, I've trialled in Washington and no one has ever complained to me about my dogs (Bear barks a lot before his run, Wick during and after).

I always do a lot of playing after a run! As soon as I am that little 10' we have a BIG party! But I have seen a lot of people run back to their crates for treats or go outside for some better room to play bigger games. Some people (very few) don't play (or treat) their dogs at all after runs! They just run and then go talk with friends. :eek: Poor dog.

At my training center we proof against barking dogs - that is why I just don't really care that much to say anything. It just hurts me ears when it echos. I personally don't let my dog bark on the course because it distracts her AND me. We just are not a vocal team. But I have seen a lot of people that ARE vocal teams, and it works for them just great. If you messed up somebody's run because your dog barked, IMO, it is their own falt for not training with distractions. :rolleyes: So I wouldn't worry about that much. Who are they to say how you should run/warm up your dog?

I too am now curious about other places. I never thought that they would be very different withing orgs.

Hey RTPHo.... oh, that's right, you're Rave'n now!

Sounds like you're having a LOT of fun out there!

Pam called this moring, she's having a great time at Camp this week -- spending almost as much time working sheep as doing agility stuff!

Mentioned somewhere ealier that the trash hauling payment finally arrived -- made the trial this weekend very enjoyable -- thanks!

I won't go in to details now, but there does seem to be an oddly positive shift in the karma since you left these parts. Need to wait a few weeks before I can get in to specifics, but it has been good!

See ya,

CC