BC Boards

Frustrated! (Mini rant)

larryfoster

Heartworm prevention medicine is for more than HW. It is also used to prevent many intestinal parasites. Interceptor Plus and Sentinel Spectrum prevent tapeworms in addition to several others.

Is this true of all kinds of HW preventatives?

The ones you mention are combinations of different chemicals, which is what I was referring to in my comment above.

I do know that Ivermectin kills roundworms, but anything else?

Not being argumentative, just trying to understand this better. If the day comes I choose to do HW preventative, I really wouldn't want to be adding extra chemicals for intestinal parasites that haven't been an issue for me.

That may not hold true for a sporter, pet or ACK border collie . . . though we could argue, as I would, that if the dog's lost its instinct it's not really a border collie. <_<

BCINO?

Border Collie In Name Only?

I have goats and not sheep.

Would that work?

Also, can we see pics??

Posted on the previous page.

:)

There's nothing I see in the photo of your pup that would say to me he's not a border collie. Not all border collies crouch. One of my main work dogs has eye but very little style. My other main work dog exhibits a lot of style. A plain working dog will never show the "border collie crouch."

You've gotten plenty of good advice. If you have worms/worm eggs in your environment, then your pup can easily re-infect itself. If you're using OTC flea preventives, you may be using something that just isn't working that great (the only things that have been working for me are Seresto collars and Nexguard for different dogs; Frontline and like products quite working years ago for me). Droncit/Drontal will kill the tapes in the pup but will have zero residual effect if the pup continues to ingest fleas or other sources of tapes.

As for your breeder misrepresenting anything, it doesn't sound as if that was the case. You don't say if you were looking for a working dog, but next time around you'll know what registries NOT to consider. Just remember that ABCA registered no more guarantees a working dog than any other registry. If you want a working dog look for a breeder whose dogs are actually working (and that doesn't mean just occasionally seeing stock out in the field). If you were just looking for a pet, then I don't guess it matters so much about the registry other than what the registry might imply about the breeder (in this case, likely a BYB or similar).

Roxanne,

I use ivomec as an HW preventive. I assume (especially at the low doses given) that it gets nothing but heartworms. I use 10% fenbendazole cattle dewormer roughly quarterly to cover intestinal parasites, mainly because the dogs will eat poop (sheep, goat, rabbit, etc.). Maybe that's overkill, but I've never expected the ivomec to get anything else....

J.