BC Boards

Need an online agility foundation class

I have been planning on signing up for Slyvia Trkmans foundation class. BUT I have a slight problem, so much of her handling is based on CIK/CAP aka directional wing wraps but I am incabable of rembering which is which. So I am exploring alternatives.

Her puppy class has been great, I like her way of developing behaviours and how she builds on them, and it has given me a great structure to work on Fenway's behaviours.

The structure of a class is important to me, keeps me focused and provides structure. Living in Mallorca I don't have regular access to a top trainer, I am my clubs most experienced trainer/competitor and I still have a long way to go!

PS I am not a Susan Garret fan, I admire her achievements but hate her sales techniques.

Fenzi Academy is now open for signups and I would recommend any of their Agility classes. (Linked just above)

If you are looking for groundwork, I HIGHLY recommend Amanda Nelson's Intro to Distance class. The applications of that work go far beyond distance handling. I took that and it finally transformed Bandit and me into an Agility team.

Also, Loretta Mueller's Beginner Sequencing class is probably going to be very good if your dog is ready for that.

I think there might be working spots in the distance class (if you were looking for that), and there are auditing spots in the sequencing class.

I am sure Denise Fenwick has great classes, I just have never taken one.

I like agility-u, and several of the local agility handlers have taken classes there and really like them.

Personally, I like the cik/cap strategy. I use cik and wrap.(wrap for right wrap - the R sound is the same). It took me a looonngg time to get the directionally in my he5, mainly because I was not good with left and right to begin with.

In my area, handlers are beginning to incorporate the OneMind handling moves, but I don't think they have a foundation class (i.e. with feedback on videos). I may be wrong so if you discover differently, please let me know.

Thanks everyone, I think I have looked at nearly everyone before, trying to figure out what would suit me.

One mind dog don't really have a foundation class, I currently a premium member (I signed up when they had 50%off) and there are loads of videos, but not a structured program, and I really want a good frame work. Living in Europe OMD, is the current dominate handling, I also train online with Amanda Shyne and she uses it to, as does the lady I train with occasionally in England.

I have looked at Dave Munnings, he gives great feedback via Facebook, friends have done weaves with him, but I enjoyed watching others attempts with Sylvia rather than needing personalized attention, but he is a possibility.

Denise Frenzi's academy right now doesn't have anything that suits, and AgilityU is offering a class that covers a lot of what we have been doing, a couple of months ago it would have been perfect.

I don't think Amanda's Nelson style will work for a dog who is going to be spending his career on FCI courses, I will need distance but Amanda's training is for NADAC courses which now have nothing in common with the sort of stuff we meet. And we are not ready for sequencing yet.

I have started the early stages of Cik/cap I have been using turn/wrap and I laugh at myself as from one day the next I can't remember which way is which, and I am just at the stage to start using a name.

When I started Rievaulx I used the book Agility Right from the Start, and I think I give him a pretty good grounding, but with Fen I want something a bit more structured.

Jovi, I actually find OMD rather frustrating the handling works really well, but I wish I could take a focused online course with them that breaks it all down and builds it block by block. I have learned bits and pieces from a number of different trainers all of who have trained with them, but I always feel something is missing in the translation.

it is too bad that you dislike Susan Garrett as her Handling 360 is fabulous. Actually, beyond fabulous. I have to say, if you can get past the strong sales techniques, you would not be sorry. I have been extremely surprised by the quality and depth of her online classes and everything you get with it. I have taken some of the other online classes mentioned above and have been disappointed.

Have you thought of Justine Davenport? With Jessica Patterson in Canada? They are starting an online foundation class. I have not taken their classes, but from watching videos of both of them and their students, just wow! Both ladies do tremendous at international competitions. I hope to attend one of their seminars next year and I'm really excited! Not sure of their business name it should be easy to find.

I love Silvia, everything about her training, and yes I do find it challenging to call the directions as she does :).

it is too bad that you dislike Susan Garrett as her Handling 360 is fabulous. Actually, beyond fabulous. I have to say, if you can get past the strong sales techniques, you would not be sorry. I have been extremely surprised by the quality and depth of her online classes and everything you get with it. I have taken some of the other online classes mentioned above and have been disappointed.

There are lots of people who are really happy with it, I know it is not for me, I just find her annoying and for what I am looking for it is to much money. I am not looking at this point for a new handling style, just want structure for foundation training, so I stay focused. I enjoy working with a variety of different trainers and learning how other people aproach what is basically the same thing.

Have you thought of Justine Davenport? With Jessica Patterson in Canada? They are starting an online foundation class. I have not taken their classes, but from watching videos of both of them and their students, just wow! Both ladies do tremendous at international competitions. I hope to attend one of their seminars next year and I'm really excited! Not sure of their business name it should be easy to find.

I love Silvia, everything about her training, and yes I do find it challenging to call the directions as she does :).

Thank you for the idea, their class looks really promising, and actually the timing is perfect as fen will be 7 1/2 months and should be physically more mature, ready for ground games, right now he is mentally really mature, but physically a big dork, who has not grown into his front feet yet. I think I might have found my alternative to Cik/cap land.

Edited to add: 30 minutes after I read your post a friend sent me a link to the class, they had been at the AWC and a Canadian team member suggested they look at it... I think this will be my choice.