BC Boards

Main type of protein on food?

I was wondering if there are any opinions or proven facts on what type of dominant protein on the food. i.e. Chicken/Turkey/Lamb/Fish/Beef/etc. recipes. Prices and the brand of food are off-topic (it doesn't matter), I was just wondering what type of recipe would be the most recommended. My BC is a extremely active one, if that makes any difference.

As long as your dog doesn't have a medical condition (allergies) that precludes a specific protein, they should all be fine. I haven't seen where one is significantly better than another. I have read (I forget where) that beef may be a little harder to digest. I feed my dogs are variety of proteins. I think it is a good idea to 'hold back' on some of the more unusual proteins in the (hopefully) rare event that your dog becomes allergic to a common protein, you still have other options for proteins.

Interested to read other replies.

As long as your dog doesn't have a medical condition (allergies) that precludes a specific protein, they should all be fine. I haven't seen where one is significantly better than another. I have read (I forget where) that beef may be a little harder to digest. I feed my dogs are variety of proteins. I think it is a good idea to 'hold back' on some of the more unusual proteins in the (hopefully) rare event that your dog becomes allergic to a common protein, you still have other options for proteins.

Interested to read other replies.

And just to prove your point, my BC does a lot better with beef than any other protein. He can do lamb but anything poultry gives him gas and soft stools.

It's an individual choice - I don't think one is better overall than others.

I avoid fish because of mercury.

My dogs seem to like chicken the best, and it is often the cheapest meat, so that is what I use most of the time for their raw meat "topper" on top of their kibble. Their kibble rotates among lamb and turkey and chicken and duck, as I switch off the brands and the flavors occasionally, but I feed them only high quality grain-free kibble. I think as long as the food is high quality the type of protein doesn't matter that much.

I like to switch protien sources up whenever I buy a new bag and still have a little of the old food. I've heard that it's good to mix it up just in case you can't find the exact food you usually get or you have no choice but to switch their food it won't be as hard on them (or have them reject food y because they've only ever eaten food x). I usually get the same brand so it's not a total shock to their systems. However chicken seems to cause Lyka digestion issues, so I stay away from that. I will also add bits of raw food and dehydrated raw that is different from their food for the same reason as above.

It comes down to whatever your dog can eat and you want to feed.

I change foods every bag with my adult dog, he gets bored with the same type, and as he is used to this I don't bother with doing it gradually, at the moment in rotation we have reindeer, boar, duck and lamb. He doesn't like fish kibble (loves fish) and his digestion doesn't like chicken. My puppy can only eat chicken or turkey at the moment, the adult dogs food just doesn't agree with him. So others have said it is dependent on the dog.

We try a new food almost everytime and then I keep track of which ones worked and which ones didn't (and never use the ones that didn't sit well or that the dogs avoided ever again). Personally I think it's less about the protein and more about what the works best for the dog. It REALLY varies between companies, for example a chicken food from one company they will do great on and then chicken from another and they don't, so I have given up on preferring one protein over another... However my dogs seem to like the taste of some proteins better than others :) so if I'm trying a new brand I like to see if they have lamb or turkey first, because I like it when the boys get excited about their food.