BC Boards

Molly's agility thread.

CptJack

She definitely doesn't have any trouble with her jump height, or in clearing it without OVER clearing it.  She's a very, very efficient jumper and it's very cool - to me, anyway, after seeing so many pictures of dogs jumping WAY above the bar and sometimes even nearly clearing the jump standards and thinking that was desirable.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
Just now, Lawgirl said:

That is excellent, I love the distance you are getting.

THANK YOU!

Meeeee, too.

More importantly, so does Molly.

She has a space bubble  and would prefer  I stay out of it.  She also prefers me with distance because  I have some time to think and cue her.  It's  cutting down both our frustration levels by a TON.   Learning how to use that distance on more 'cluttered' courses  is a work in progress  and going to be worth it.

Ah, I wondered why you were working on it so hard.  Me, it would be so I don't have to run so much:lol:.

But if Molly prefers the distance work, then that is where you need to go. And if it is easier on you (on course, not in training) so much the better!

Are you using verbals, or is it mainly the arm signals/body movement?  Because I suspect some combination will be needed for the more cluttered courses.

Just now, Lawgirl said:

Ah, I wondered why you were working on it so hard.  Me, it would be so I don't have to run so much:lol:.

But if Molly prefers the distance work, then that is where you need to go. And if it is easier on you (on course, not in training) so much the better!

Are you using verbals, or is it mainly the arm signals/body movement?  Because I suspect some combination will be needed for the more cluttered courses.

There is also an added benefit  in not  having to bust butt and run :P

We're  doing  both.  My body language needs  cleaned up  a  lot. Sadly what you're  seeing there IS  improved.  Hopefully it will  continue  to do so.  Verbals are in play too, though,  in  a handful or so of commands.   We'll  see where  it goes/how  it goes. I don't need anymore  distance  than I  have with her now - that's  elite chances stuff, which  she excels at - I  just need to be better at using it.   I've  got a seminar coming up in November that's  distance focused.   Hopefully  it helps.

7 hours ago, alligande said:

You are really starting to get some nice distance, the one handling move from NADAC that I have always liked is the switch (change lead) and you have it down.  

Thanks! The dog is happy  about the distance! 

I really like switches.  They confounded me for a while.   At this point they're my favorite thing, even with slower dogs who are closer. They just seem to  create a really nice, clean,   turn and side change. 

21 hours ago, CptJack said:

Thanks! The dog is happy  about the distance! 

I really like switches.  They confounded me for a while.   At this point they're my favorite thing, even with slower dogs who are closer. They just seem to  create a really nice, clean,   turn and side change. 

In my world of agility they don't have a lot of use, but on the wide open NADAC courses they work really well. It is something I would like in my tool box but my youngster has so many other critical skills to master that I don't think its going to happen, an independent backside is much more critical for us. 

A  NADAC switch is   essentially a OMD tandem turn.    Or,rather, a tandem turn is a kind of switch, I  guess.

I've used them on AKC style courses, but I definitely don't disagree international courses are  a whole 'nother ball game!    OneI know nothing about  and play  very little.  Independent  backsides sound  super  fun though!  Hard! But fun!

On 9/19/2019 at 1:58 PM, CptJack said:

A  NADAC switch is   essentially a OMD tandem turn.    Or,rather, a tandem turn is a kind of switch, I  guess.

I've used them on AKC style courses, but I definitely don't disagree international courses are  a whole 'nother ball game!    OneI know nothing about  and play  very little.  Independent  backsides sound  super  fun though!  Hard! But fun!

I started in NADAC, its not really a tandem turn, as its taught as a change of lead, I think what makes it so unique is that it is primarily used on the flat as a change of direction, I have watched NADAC masters use it well and always loved it. There were many things I hated about NADAC but I always loved the switch command. 

Hm.

I wouldn't  try to speak about OMD or  international  courses,  and won't dispute  that they're not the same (though I will say that first example in this very old video is something  I've seen used as a skill example in OMD videos for tandem turns).

Switches are  taught as  a lead changes, initially, but it's also taught as 'turn away from  me' at  that  stage.  - dog on left, walk forward cookie in right  hand  goes  on  dog's nose, flip  out away from you in about turn.  In  use - they're  used  a LOT on the  flat but also used pretty freaking  diversely from barely any turn as  a regular old rear cross on   the flat, to the common lead  change flip out at 90 degrees to 180  degree entries  to obstacles  to wraps  (switch-tight) where the dog takes the obstacle, lands and flips  around/away to wrap the  upright (hoops   mostly, or barrels,  sometimes  jumps,  I think.).

NADAC  courses  have  changed pretty massively over the  past few  years.  Open flowing  courses are no longer super  common.  They're  still not the same as many organizations (and for me thank god),  and still  with lots  of flow, but   OPEN and flowing mostly  only in the  special skills/secondary  classes like touch  and go,  (and very,  very occasionally  jumpers - never regular),  they're what I  sometimes see  and get happy about,   not what  I  expect.   

And that tandem turn  'how to start teaching it' is accidentally a great  example of how  dogs are started  on switches.

I'm not telling you to  teach  them.  I'm just saying they're not NADAC specific.   UKI uses  them  and even uses  the same verbal, in particular.  

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
17 hours ago, gcv-border said:

Super distance handling. You should be proud of Team Molly.

thanks.  Surprisingly (or perhaps not) that's less intentional use of distance for the sake of distance just... what's required of me to handle her at all.   Buys me time.

I understand. Fast dogs demand distance handling. With my first agility trainer, she taught a style that didn't use much distance handling. (very few rear crosses, no layering) She kept encouraging me saying "you CAN get there for that front cross". Oh Heck no I can't. Torque and I were extremely frustrated. Then she tried running a short sequence with him one day. HaHa. After that, she understood and was more on board with layering and rear crosses.

Yeah.   No, no I would not/cannot get there in time for the front :P

Also just pressure sensitivity.  Trying to run into Molly's space/get ahead of her isn't going to work anyway. She has a bubble and if I'm pushing too hard at it she's going out ANYWAY and there will be layering whether I like it or not (sometimes).