BC Boards

Border Collie Escapes Kennel

So I recently purchased a 10x10x10 metal kennel for Eevee and she goes in there when I go to bed. I take her for walks/runs daily so she gets her exercise and she plays actively with our other dogs. However my mom noticed that she somehow managed to make a hole at the bottom of her kennel and squeezes through the hole. My dad fixed it and turned the side where the hole was against a wall but shortly after she made another one. Is there a reason why she does this? She doesn't spend all day in there and only is there at night or if she gets in trouble. She's very calm and if she isn't playing with our other dogs she's asleep under our patio table. Could she be in heat? She was bleeding a month or two ago. She's going to be 1 on September 16th.

A normal canine heat is usually around 3 weeks. I have heard of a 6 month old that went into heat, and my friend has a 2 year old that has not yet gone into heat.

If she is old enough to have heats, I would make sure that her kennel is escaped proof. Not only can she escape, but a male could also wiggle in. I am assuming that you do not want puppies.

She could be bored? Put some chew toys in there. She could have some separation anxiety, and is trying to get out to be closer to you. She may be much happier to sleep inside, with her pack, at night

Well she's in our backyard with our other dogs and our German Shepherd is neutered but I haven't had time to go get her spayed. She has toys, but I do think she's just bored of those toys. She had an elk antler that she absolutely loved but someone stole it recently. But no, no puppies. Our Terrier recently had puppies so we have a house full of tiny fluff balls. I was thinking it was separation anxiety. When she escapes the kennel I hear her outside my window and Whenever she comes into the house she'll go straight to my room (she was an inside dog her first few months) so I'm thinking it is that. The thing is my room is ridiculously small and crowded. She is house trained so she wouldn't have problems with peeing/pooping inside. But we're moving soon so when we do move I'll be keeping her inside and outside. I'm starting 2 new jobs soon and I want her to be okay with me being away for hours. She won't be alone of course, we have our other dogs and my mom or brother will be taking over the walks for her once I start working. Is there any way to ease her into not seeing me for hours at a time?

A bitch in season in a kennel or inside a fence can also get pregnant so even though you sound extremely busy, you really need to find the time to get her spayed before you wind up with another litter on your hands.

A bitch in season in a kennel or inside a fence can also get pregnant so even though you sound extremely busy, you really need to find the time to get her spayed before you wind up with another litter on your hands.

Exactly what I was thinking. They find miraculous ways of getting out while in heat and getting hit by cars or pregnant by a dog you never saw.

Having her spayed does not take much time. Make the appointment on the phone, have someone drop her off in the AM, and usually 4-6 hours later you return to pick her up. It is well worth the peace of mind.

Is there a reason she can't be in the house and crated at night? Is she crate trained? It does not sound like the outside kennel is seen as a positive place. Plus with you still home...of course she will want to be with you and not locked outside. I would work on either kennel training her or crate training so she can be inside. For either of them, start slow, build a positive association, and don't expect to be able to leave her alone in either for long periods of time at first. Google 'crate games' for some good ideas. Stuff and freeze kongs for her to use in the kennel or crate as well, may also want to feed her in there.

Exactly what I was thinking. They find miraculous ways of getting out while in heat and getting hit by cars or pregnant by a dog you never saw.

Having her spayed does not take much time. Make the appointment on the phone, have someone drop her off in the AM, and usually 4-6 hours later you return to pick her up. It is well worth the peace of mind.

Is there a reason she can't be in the house and crated at night? Is she crate trained? It does not sound like the outside kennel is seen as a positive place. Plus with you still home...of course she will want to be with you and not locked outside. I would work on either kennel training her or crate training so she can be inside. For either of them, start slow, build a positive association, and don't expect to be able to leave her alone in either for long periods of time at first. Google 'crate games' for some good ideas. Stuff and freeze kongs for her to use in the kennel or crate as well, may also want to feed her in there.

We live with my stepdads family until we get a place of our own and the house is separated so our half is a lot smaller so we don't have room for anything. It's more of an apartment than a house for us. She is crate trained and house trained the only problem is we just have no room inside our house.

So I recently purchased a 10x10x10 metal kennel for Eevee and she goes in there when I go to bed. I take her for walks/runs daily so she gets her exercise and she plays actively with our other dogs. However my mom noticed that she somehow managed to make a hole at the bottom of her kennel and squeezes through the hole. My dad fixed it and turned the side where the hole was against a wall but shortly after she made another one. Is there a reason why she does this? She doesn't spend all day in there and only is there at night or if she gets in trouble. She's very calm and if she isn't playing with our other dogs she's asleep under our patio table. Could she be in heat? She was bleeding a month or two ago. She's going to be 1 on September 16th.

She digs out because she can. ;) She may be bored and she may also dislike being separated from you. Does she have a dog house in the kennel for privacy?

But most of all, if she's not spayed and you're concerned about her having puppies, for goodness sakes, make or arrange the time! There's no such thing as "no time" to spay a dog. It's part of your obligation to her as a pet owner and you can ask family to help out with dropping her off and picking her up. Usually they go in about 8 a.m. and are ready to come home around 3 or 4 p.m.

If she is getting out, please don't risk making her the mother of pit bull/border collie puppies or whatever else may be roaming the neighborhood. She does not need to go the way of the terrier. It's simply not responsible dog ownership.

Also, if you can't let her sleep inside at night, consider putting in a solid floor if she's digging out. Maybe lay some sheets of plywood nailed onto a frame and cover that with 1/4 inch rubber stall mats. You can get those from Amazon. Best of luck~

~ Gloria

Is she digging in the dirt to get out or pulling at the chain link and making a hole in the kennel wire? If digging in the dirt you can add wire on the ground - wire to kennel and put dirt on top. If she is pulling the kennel apart then need a heavier welded wire kennel. I have had dogs climb out of a 6ft kennel - simply did not want to be in there. I had to add wire across the top.

It is an individual thing - some are fine in a kennel some do not like them. I would not put her in as a punishment and then expect her to be ok about being in there. Might be that she is ok in a kennel when she knows you are gone but does not want to be there if you are home. With working I would try to allow her time with you overnight since she is most likely in the kennel while you are at work

She digs out because she can. ;) She may be bored and she may also dislike being separated from you. Does she have a dog house in the kennel for privacy?

But most of all, if she's not spayed and you're concerned about her having puppies, for goodness sakes, make or arrange the time! There's no such thing as "no time" to spay a dog. It's part of your obligation to her as a pet owner and you can ask family to help out with dropping her off and picking her up. Usually they go in about 8 a.m. and are ready to come home around 3 or 4 p.m.

If she is getting out, please don't risk making her the mother of pit bull/border collie puppies or whatever else may be roaming the neighborhood. She does not need to go the way of the terrier. It's simply not responsible dog ownership.

Also, if you can't let her sleep inside at night, consider putting in a solid floor if she's digging out. Maybe lay some sheets of plywood nailed onto a frame and cover that with 1/4 inch rubber stall mats. You can get those from Amazon. Best of luck~

~ Gloria

That's the thing, our backyard is cement, the only places for her to be able to dig is behind the shed but it's a small patch of dirt surrounded by recyclables. She literally rips the metal. I've made an appointment for her to get spayed this week so I'm thinking during that week she stays inside my room with me so she isn't out in the cold. She does have a dog house for privacy. But I'm going to drop her off to get spayed before I go in for my new job orientation and my mom is picking her up. I know she's attached to me as I am attached to her, she runs up to me when she sees me and jumps into my arms nearly knocking me to the ground.

Wonderful that you've made the spay appointment! She'll need to be quiet for probably 10 days, so be super careful that she doesn't overdo it. Border collies aren't famous for their good sense, when it comes to caring for their own bodies. :P If you think she might fuss at her stitches, do get her a cone, because you do not want to take her back in to be re-stitched! I had to do that with my Aussie girl 6 years ago. Not fun.

So you're saying the kennel is on concrete but she's tearing up the kennel itself? That sounds like separation anxiety, if she's working that hard to get out. If you can bring her in at night for the spay healing, I'd consider keeping her in at night until such time you can get a place with more room. Dogs can wreck their teeth tearing at chain link and kennel panels - which is another vet bill nobody needs.

~ Gloria

Wonderful that you've made the spay appointment! She'll need to be quiet for probably 10 days, so be super careful that she doesn't overdo it. Border collies aren't famous for their good sense, when it comes to caring for their own bodies. :P If you think she might fuss at her stitches, do get her a cone, because you do not want to take her back in to be re-stitched! I had to do that with my Aussie girl 6 years ago. Not fun.

So you're saying the kennel is on concrete but she's tearing up the kennel itself? That sounds like separation anxiety, if she's working that hard to get out. If you can bring her in at night for the spay healing, I'd consider keeping her in at night until such time you can get a place with more room. Dogs can wreck their teeth tearing at chain link and kennel panels - which is another vet bill nobody needs.

~ Gloria

Yeah I'm going to have to get her a cone I already know it >.<

I know, I hate that she has to be in there at night but since stray cats wander into the backyard and raccoons as well, I don't want her getting hurt or biting one and end up getting horrible sick. Once we get a bigger place she is for sure staying inside with me at night. She is well trained and she likes to hang out inside for a bit with me before she starts scratching at the door to let her out to use the bathroom after she's done she either stays outside or comes back inside and sleeps.