BC Boards

Having Strokes

Traneman

Our little 14 year old girl has had 5 little strokes that she has come out of pretty well.

She has had 2 this past week,it takes her about an hour to start walking again and in about 2

hrs she seems fine.

The Vet said there is really nothing we can do, is this true?

Every time she has one it breaks our hearts.

Thanks for any advice.

Seizures come in different shapes and sizes, and (without ruling out strokes or anything else here) at this age these may well be secondary symptom due to some other problems. I think that doing blood and urine tests would be a minimum beginning here.

My 14+ year old dog was having transient neurological episodes and it was never clear if they were seizures (from a brain tumor), strokes, hypertension (high blood pressure; she was hypertensive), or some sort of transient metabolic issue (she had several liver masses and kidney disease). Due to her age and other health problems, I did not pursue the MRI etc. Although she recovered (over a period of a few days) after these episodes, she did become progressively weaker over time. Acupuncture did help, but I think that she was too far gone towards the end :(

Anyway, as to there being something to do, it depends on the cause. Some metabolic conditions (low blood sugar) are manageable as are high blood pressure, and seizures. I think that it would be helpful to take some blood immediately after a episode and to measure her blood pressure. Depending on the suspected cause, some medications may give her more good time.

BTW, in the past, it was conventional wisdom that dogs do not have strokes and transient ischemic attacks, but there is now MRI evidence that dogs do.

I'm sorry about your dog. It is very difficult when they get old.

This is from my post from back in February. Very similar to what you are describing :

← Health and Genetics

BC Boards

»

Crazy health scare

LauraV's PhotoLauraV

26 Feb 2016

So I just want to share this story. A little over two weeks ago, my mother texted me while I was at work that my 15 year old border collie has taken a turn for the worse. (For various reasons, he lives with my mom and grandmother.) Ok so he went out in the morning and was fine. He had some breakfast and was lying down on his side. He started lifting his head and it dropped about three times. He was not able to get up at all and was having trouble breathing. I told her to take him to the vet. When he got there he was dead weight and not doing much at all. The vet called me and let me know what was going on ( I make all of his medical decisions). She told me there was not much if anything to do. I asked her to do blood work because I like answers. It came back that he was anemic and had low levels of sodium. His heart rate was 60 bpm, he wasn't able to get up and just not doing well at all. I had to make a choice. I told my mom I would meet here there and my decision would be made. So my fiancé left work early and picked me up at work. I knew what I had to do. It wasn't fair for me to be selfish and try to prolong his life. When I got there my mom was gone as she was distraught and the doctor was in surgery. They took me in the euthanasia room (couch and a chair). The tech who just got there went to get him. To my utter surprise, he just waltzed in there as if nothing was wrong. I was shocked. Was this a joke? I asked her how long he was walking and she said she just got there and didn't know anything about what was going on with him. When my mom met me there, her jaw dropped. She said "this is NOT the dog I brought in here." She was in shock as well. As we waited for the vet, I noticed that he was dripping urine. So naturally, I asked for a urinalysis to be done. They took him in the back and had to use a catheter to make sure the sample was as sterile as possible. The tech that was working there when he first arrived brought him back and was stunned like the rest of us. The vet finally came in and was confused as well. The urinalysis came back that there was some bacteria in his urine, and I asked if they could start treating that. I could not euthanize a dog that bounced back like that. It was as if he was telling me that he wanted a shot to keep living and I couldn't deny him of that. The next day, he was acting completely normal again. Sorry this was long. It was just a crazy situation and I thought I should share. :) Still, nobody knows what was wrong with him or what happened. It was just a freak situation with an even freakier outcome.

However, he ended up not having UTIs. But these did happen again but not to the same severity. I talked to several vets. Some said TIAs and some said seizures.

His episodes cause walking into things or in circles and about 2 hour bounce back.

But I'm going to be honest and tell you these did cause neurological damage. Not sure if that will happen with your girl or not.

I let my 14 year old go last fall after a series of neuro events. The last one was very bad and she was not recovering. However, all these events took place over about a one year period, so we had some good time together to prepare and say goodbye.

Thanks for the reply's every one. I am going to take her in Monday and have some blood tests done at least.

This is the 4th episode that she has had that we know of ,she has come out of them in a couple of hours.

Hopefully they can find something by doing the test.

Thanks for the reply's every one. I am going to take her in Monday and have some blood tests done at least.

This is the 4th episode that she has had that we know of ,she has come out of them in a couple of hours.

Hopefully they can find something by doing the test.

Good luck to you guys. I hope they can figure something out because we were unable to find the cause. Each time Nikko had one he was fine within a couple hours and almost perfect in 24 hours. Please keep us updated.

Choco had what the vet called a "cerebral event" as he would not say for sure it was a stroke. The result was obvious. He had his head pointed to his hip when laying on his stomach and when partially upright. Could not walk unaided. I called the vet thinking we would need to euthanize him. Vet said to wait a few days, since Choco gave no indication of pain and was eating and drinking. I fed him by holding the bowl where he could reach it. He was outside in 4 days, sitting against a chair for extra support, head to the front as normal, and was obviously feeling good. He continued to progress. We did have 5 more months together before I had to let him go at 17 years due another health issue. He did have a very strong will to live and bounced back. I am glad the vet exercised caution, but he also knew my dog well and his ability to bounce back.