BC Boards

Obedience vs. Agility For Border Collies

I have to disagree with the idea that BCs don't enjoy mindless repetition - they're bred for OCD. Mindless repetition is a way of life, if not diverted.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets that there's a distinction between OCD and repetition.

One is pathological behavior, thus the word "compulsive", i.e. not by choice. The other may not be the dog's choice if it's obeying its handlers direction, not "mindless repetition" but a choice.

Well, I failed at that - sorry.

I do get that they aren't one in the same. However asking Molly, at least, to repeat something more than about 3 times and it really seems to trip from 'choosing to repeat' to "can't stop/can't think."

Molly, admittedly however, has some... issues. Most of them are no longer major concerns, and I don't consider this to be anything I particularly care about, but there is definitely a tipping point there that makes me disinclined to repeat things too much. Getting 'stuck' in that state cannot be good for her.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets that there's a distinction between OCD and repetition.

One is pathological behavior, thus the word "compulsive", i.e. not by choice. The other may not be the dog's choice if it's obeying its handlers direction, not "mindless repetition" but a choice.

Getting 'stuck' in that state...

Yeah, that's an apt distinction. Getting stuck in the repetition is OCD and not normal or desirable.

Repeating a behavior over and over because you've been asked to to it, and maybe even would prefer not to, is entirely different. Like factory work where a worker has to repeat the same actions over and over and over again, not because she or he wants to or is compulsive about doing it and can't easily stop, but because she or he has to do it, but can easily -- perhaps even eagerly -- disengage.

And yes, border collies have indeed been bred with a predisposition towards OCD behavior. But that's not an asset IMO.

And yes, border collies have indeed been bred with a predisposition towards OCD behavior. But that's not an asset IMO.

It's not. Because it is, as mum said, mindless. I would hope that no one wants the dog their training to be engaging in mindless behavior!

I haven't seen the OCD stuff from Molly for quite a while, thankfully, but honestly it doesn't even look close to the same as repeatedly working on the same skill in a training session.

The dog isn't listening, it isn't acting in response to being cued, there is no upping the difficulty or adjusting for precision or shaping or anything else. There is no *training* or learning going on. Just a lot of mindless repetitive action - emphasis on mindless. Nobody's home - at least not really. It's the same as with reactivity. Once that's going on, no learning can happen.

I'm coming back here because this thread made me realize that, at least right now, obedience is probably a better fit for Molly than agility for lots of reasons, at least for the time being.

So while we're on agility break for the summer (and by we I mean me and my currently competing other dog), I'm going to be learning Rally with Molly. If what she wants to do changes, I'll go with the flow, but right now the fit for her is something more controlled, slower, and using her brain more.

So, basically: Thank you for posting this and making me THINK.