BC Boards

Hyperactivity in Merles

Betsy

In a border collie Facebook group that I am on there is a poster claiming that as a general rule of thumb, merles will be more hyper than any other color of border collie, that it is caused by a genetic anomaly in the merle gene. Has anyone here ever heard of this? She says "you can't argue with science" yet can't produce any scientific studies. Also claims that "vets she has met has studied it and came to the same conclusion". Again, no specifics provided. Just curious about the thoughts of those here..

That's what I thought. We'll see if she really goes and digs her books out of the attic with the supposed "scientific studies". I just see too many variables going into the dogs (such as how it was raised, what kind of life does it live daily (crated? working livestock?), how much exercise does the dog get, how much mental stimulation, was an off switch trained) to be able to say it's the merle gene. This is a real life example of correlation does not imply causation!

I don't know about this, but it is scientifically proven that merles have a goofy gene.

:D:D:D

Well I do have living proof of this. My merle will fetch toys and return them to about 5 feet away and the stare at you. But socks? Socks he returns to your lap. And will pick it up and put it back down over and over again in your lap. He loves socks!!

My first merle must've missed that gene. He was one of the least goofy dogs I've ever known. Second one wasn't particularly goofy either. :rolleyes:

I've heard any number of behavioral characteristics attributed to various colors (whites are calmer, reds are feistier, merles can't work, etc.) and I don't believe any of them are true.

You should ask her if phantom merles display the same traits. Or if it's just the regular merles...

Good point. Also, I think she was saying that it's an anomaly of the merle gene so SOME merles COULD be hyperactive, but not necessarily so. Which implies that all other colors could not be hyper since they don't have that gene.

Ummm, genetically phantom merles are "regular" merles, so if there were color-linked (or in this case allele linked) behavioral characteristics, there wouldn't be a difference. Phantom merles are fully merle as far as their genes are concerned.

Actually, what I infer from this is that this person is talking out of her ass. :rolleyes::lol:

ETA: I'd be inclined to ask her if she's never heard of a hyperactive border collie that isn't a merle. It's not like the breed doesn't have a reputation for hyperactivity across all colors. SMH

Ummm, genetically phantom merles are "regular" merles, so if there were color-linked (or in this case allele linked) behavioral characteristics, there wouldn't be a difference. Phantom merles are fully merle as far as their genes are concerned.

Actually, what I infer from this is that this person is talking out of her ass. :rolleyes::lol:

ETA: I'd be inclined to ask her if she's never heard of a hyperactive border collie that isn't a merle. It's not like the breed doesn't have a reputation for hyperactivity across all colors. SMH

Lol - I know ;)

But I tend to want to string people like that along just to see what sort of, umm, interesting things they'll say next :D

Rubbish. Just selective bias based on a myth.

You get nutter merles just as you do dogs of any colour.

I get the impression that it's more a thing in the US that agility people in particular want high wired OTT dogs. Everywhere fancy colours and merles in particular are in much greater evidence in sports than elsewhere in the general dog population.

It doesn't take a genius to realise that if people want crazy dogs and they favour merles then crazy merles are what will be bred for. That doesn't mean that there is a specific gene for it that only merles have.