BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
Islanddog

Who's my daddy?

finally, got some pics ready. I'm glad I waited, because Sonic looks very different from the dog that came through my front door in January.

For instance, he has MUCH more hair; he arrived smooth-coated and now has a full undercoat. He had a skinny tail, and now has a plume tail. He had some ear whiskers, now he has pouf. Gained some weight too, 38 lbs, which is where I will keep him.

As for the 'who's my daddy' question, he's mostly streetdog (in the Dominican Republic, canines self-select their dance partners), and from some views, he looks to me very much like every other street dog, but with funkier hair and fancy dress. So he 'might' be zero border collie, or not, or maybe they've kept farm dogs around and, well, with a street dog, it's anyone's guess. I just love the way he turned out, regardless--especially all that extra hair.

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

Bottom pic, you can see he stands elbows out & bow legged, middle two pics reminds me of my working-line gsd, and top, he looks all collie. Like I said, self-selected streetdog.

Happy guessing, and nope, I'm not doing genetic testing; the dog in front of me is the dog I have, but guessing is fun.

Honestly? That size and that look don't say anything but Border Collie (or very similar breed) to me. I mean, his origins strongly suggest that that isn't the case. But if I were pulling him from a local shelter I'd think he was all BC. What is his behavior like?

He's quite handsome.

Honestly? That size and that look don't say anything but Border Collie (or very similar breed) to me. I mean, his origins strongly suggest that that isn't the case. But if I were pulling him from a local shelter I'd think he was all BC. What is his behavior like?

He's quite handsome.

Yeah, I'm still amazed...he looked bc when I got him, but now he looks MORE bc (they must have trimmed him at the rescue and now it's grown in again).

Behaviour; well, he's still changing/settling...but pretty hyper outdoors, always excited!!! high prey-drive for anything alive that moves outdoors (the list is growing, squirrel, muscrat, goose, dove, argh....), VERY handler focussed when he does focus. So the energy is either crazy unfocussed reactive stuff, or, when he can focus, it is intense and includes high energy behaviours, but intense on me (or husband if he is handling)

He is a little skittish/fearful of loud noises (motorbikes, vacuum) but now that he's settled, it is not excessive, or much different from my previous dog-- purebred shepherd)

Favourite game--chasing his humans. Getting him to chase us, is the one thing he is always interested in, no matter what is going on. When he is not distracted, and feeling secure, he plays a loose bouncy tug, he is learning to fetch (and this is the problem with answering the behaviour question, as he is still learning how to be a 1st world pet) but he does seem to love the chase.

He has zero BC stare/creep--the border collie low-slung stalking behaviour is absolutely non-existent, and I'm sure is not a thing that will arrive, it simply non-existant.

I would describe him as a high energy dog. He is soft, people friendly, likes polite dogs. He settles quite well indoors though, so that's nice. But, if I used one word for him, EXCITED.

He looks all BC. Maybe he was brought in from elsewhere because someone wanted a BC, then they found out they didn't know what they were in for and turned him out.

One of mine does not ever do the BC stalkng behavior except actually on stock. And he happens to be the better worker of the two, by far.

He looks all BC. Maybe he was brought in from elsewhere because someone wanted a BC, then they found out they didn't know what they were in for and turned him out.

One of mine does not ever do the BC stalkng behavior except actually on stock. And he happens to be the better worker of the two, by far.

I keep an eye out on the rescue facebook page, and a few come through that look like Bc's, so it's a mystery, fun to speculate.

Interesting to hear that the "stalking" behaviour could be "latent? Hidden?" until the right stimulus comes along. I would have thought it would turn up in play or crittering by now.

Very handsome. I would guess a very high % of BC. The last pic does show him as a bit wide in the chest and front stance so I think that there may be something else in there, but otherwise, if you were to tell me he was 100% BC, I wouldn't quibble.

Looks very BC to me.

If I had to guess a second breed,mid guess a heeler. The forward front assembly and straight shoulder with the bowleggedness make me think there might be some ACD in there. It might also explain the more upright play style.

But there's definitely BC in there.

I actually think he looks more Aussieish than Border Collie, but I wouldn't argue that either could be a high percentage in the mix. He's very handsome!

Beautiful dog! You have a real gem there!

I am another who would believe you if you told me he was a border collie, I have no ideas on who the cross would be with, but as you say probably an island dog.

You have a BC in my eyes, Islanddog. He looks very nice.

Thanks so much for input.

I won't feel like I'm confusing anybody if I say he's a border collie. The whole truth is a rather long-winded story (which I love telling, but, you know, I'm probably being a pain when I do). So for the quick and dirty answer, he's a border collie.

And Sonic is far too modest to thank you for compliments, I, on the other hand, am not. Yes, I feel very lucky to have a such a handsome thing land on my doorstep.

Yes, Sonic looks border collie-ish. But as others have mentioned he also resembles an Aussie and, given his origins, it's unlikely he's a purebred.

JMO, of course, but I'd be more inclined to tell people he's possibly a border collie mix. More realistic and less likely to misrepresent him to anyone who likes him and may inappropriately run off to buy a dog just like him. ;)

I find lots of great opportunities to educate people about border collies when they ask what my (rescue) dog(s) are. B)

Don't worry, anyone who seems 'remotely' interested, gets the long story.

I take him to a nursing home, so sometimes even saying border collie 'mix' just gets all confusing, tmi for the cognitive impaired. Most of them are familiar with the 'border collie' as farm dog and it sparks some memories and conversations.

On the other hand, while chatting with a mentally spry gentleman, he was experienced 'island dogs' and gave me the term 'self-selected', which I love using, and then he went on with a cute scenario.

Romeo dog checking out the ladies, and wandering over, 'you have nice teeth'.

I loved the thought behind that; how do dogs choose their own mates, fancy hair is unlikely to impress.

Normally I say, 'looks like a border collie', 'could be anything'.

My old guy was a Puerto Rican street dog (sato). I had deliberately NOT looked for a BC, after reading horror stories. :)

Anyway, as soon as I got him home, people started telling me he was a BC. I eventually accepted it. I don't know how a BC ended up on the streets of Puerto Rico, but maybe someone bought him and then abandoned him. ::Shrug:: He was awesome.

My old guy was a Puerto Rican street dog (sato). I had deliberately NOT looked for a BC, after reading horror stories. :)

Anyway, as soon as I got him home, people started telling me he was a BC. I eventually accepted it. I don't know how a BC ended up on the streets of Puerto Rico, but maybe someone bought him and then abandoned him. ::Shrug:: He was awesome.

Pictures?

I wonder if BC's being practical dogs have been kept/bred as farm dogs through generations, as in still actively breeding them--as in a "she's a keeper" when a pup makes itself more useful than another. I don't travel, so I'm just wondering.

The rescue routinely gets border-collie-ish looking dogs, but also gsd-ish, bull-dogish, rottie mixs and plenty of chi's, and labrador-ish, etc...

He's a nice looking dog, but if you asked me what I thought he was, I'd say Aussie mix, not BC mix.

I'm glad you aren't doing genetic testing. My bc mix was tested and he came back an ACD, beagle, lab, chow, and mix. It's a waste of money.

I'm glad you aren't doing genetic testing. My bc mix was tested and he came back an ACD, beagle, lab, chow, and mix. It's a waste of money.

I met folks with a little mixed Mexican dog, and it tested 100% Bull Mastiff, so nope.

Finally found a good link to "island dogs", call potcake dogs. The only thing I an sure of, is that's he's one of them.

I find it fascinating that they can all look so different in size, colour and shape, and yet still have a distinctive "look"--and Sonic does have the "look"

https://www.google.ca/search?q=potcake+dog+toronto&client=tablet-android-samsung&tbm=isch&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwif0NWIpa_NAhVjw4MKHSvhCfAQ_AUICSgB&biw=962&bih=601&dpr=1.33#tbm=isch&q=potcake+dog+temperament

He's a nice looking dog, but if you asked me what I thought he was, I'd say Aussie mix, not BC mix.

Me, too.

Sonic reminds me of this Aussie (yes, with a tail) I know.

ehma68.jpg