BC Boards

As the journey starts nearing the end

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^^ This. And I'd add you don't need to make any decisions right now. Grieving such a loss takes time and energy and more time. It goes on until you're done, and nobody knows how long that takes.

I wish for you that your wonderful memories of Jester sustain you, make you smile, and give you hope.

Ruth and Gibbs

This was just the most heart wrenching story. I knew it would be, and waited till today to open the thread. Now, I am at my work desk holding back tears. My pup is only 5 Months old, I just cant imagine the hurt.

I am so sorry for your loss. You handled everything with such grace.

I can't imagine life without a border collie or in my case several at a time.

I always replace the old ones I lose . I just don't want to live without my dogs. They are an importent part of what makes my life good. They make me stay engaged no matter what other things are going on around me. I am never depressed and a lot of that is simply having my guys there to keep me cheerful.

Thanks so much for all of the kind words. I know that most of you have been where I am and know what it is like. I have been pretty depressed, occasionally second-guessing myself about the decision.....should I have waited....but I know that it was probably the right thing to do and at the right time. I will be putting up Jester's "In Memoriam" post soon. I am especially appreciative lately of my other dogs. Don't know what I would do without them at any time, but especially now. It hurts so much when we have to say good bye to one we have loved well. I feel a silly sort of anger as well....why don't they live longer? But it's worth it. I wouldn't do without a dog, even knowing how short a time it will end up being.

I just don't want to live without my dogs. They are an importent part of what makes my life good. They make me stay engaged no matter what other things are going on around me.

Agreed on this, so, so much. We were dog-less for only about a month and a half after we lost Cole and before we got Gabe. I started looking for new dogs just about instantly. Losing my dog felt like losing a limb, part of me that was essential to my concept of who I was and how I got around in the world. I do think we'll eventually be a two-plus dog household at some point, so we never again have to live with being a no-dog household. My dogs provide such a rhythm to my day, and without them it feels like my heart doesn't know how to beat. It's so hard to say goodbye, but the journey is so worth the pain at the end.