BC Boards

Please keep your fingers crossed that this is going to be my pup.

This is the young lad that I am hoping will be our next dog. We do not have a name yet, we really liked Fenway but that name was for the other pup, and it is weirdly not sitting well for either one of us to use it for this guy. If anyone has a name that would somehow represent New England, yet still make a great dog name, we are open to suggestions.

post-9159-0-24301200-1462343461_thumb.jpg

um, Delaware no where near New England. there is always papi after big, babe after babe ruth or yaz after carl Yastrzemski.

Tuck, for Nantucket. Although that might sound bad if you have to raise your voice... ;)

Vinny, for Martha's Vineyard.

Bay.

Keene. (I like this one best.)

Very best wishes!

Thanks for all the ideas, my husband is from Vermont and we lived in Newport, Rhode Island for 20 years. Geographical names are hard, Newport is a horrid dogs name, and I don't want to use a name that has no connection. And Aquidneck, which is Native American name for the island is not meant to be a name, if people have a problem with Rievaulx (Revo) I can only imagine the outcome!!!!!

I think Brady would make a great dogs name, but first I am not naming my dog after a quarterback no matter how cute and talented, plus our previous border collie was called Brody.

My other half is a huge New England sports fan but does not want to use an obvious reference.

Oh! I had a blast looking for names for my dog before I even chose her. I spent a lot of time on New Englandy names.

Plants: Hemlock, Spruce, Maple, Ash, Willow, Pine, Lilac, Daisy

Authors: Emerson, Dickinson, Hawthorne, Whittier, Longfellow, Alcott, Frost

Birds: Crow, Finch, Sparrow, Wren, Goose, Jay

Geology: Granite, Slate, Quarry

Old-Timey Celebs and Politicos: Curley, Kennedy, Coolidge, Adams, Hancock, Mather, Corey, Revere, Franklin (I wouldn't go with a current celeb for fear they'll be arrested for some indiscretion!)

History: Pilgrim, Puritan, Plymouth, Cotton,

Artists: Winslow, Homer, Wyeth, Gorey, Rockwell, Parrish, Kent

Place Names: Lowell, Boston, Salem, Keene, Ogunquit

Wikipedia has long lists of, say, "Massachusetts politicians" or "Vermont native plants" or "towns in New Hampshire" that you can use to springboard ideas!

I think Brady would make a great dogs name, but first I am not naming my dog after a quarterback no matter how cute and talented, plus our previous border collie was called Brody.

Well then, the only logical alternative is Gronk. :D

Dear Doggers,

The problem with naming that's intended to say something about the (clever) owners is that it also says something about the dog.

Traditional names "Spot", "Fly", "Cap", "Bill", "Joe" . . .also say something about both.

Donald McCaig