BC Boards

heel work to music/free style/ trick work advice

Hello!

This is my first post to this board though I've been surfing through your posts for a while.

I currently have a beautiful BC x Aussie cross and she just hit a year old this month (YAY!) and this means that I have to get more serious about what type of sports I want to do with her…

Border collies were always my favorite breed and I always had in mind that I will have to do some kind of activity to keep her stimulated.

My first instinct was stock work however there seems to be no good trainers in my area (less than an hour away) so I am debating on a few other options.. I have a good lead on an agility instructor however I haven't gotten a response in a wile.

In the mean time I don’t want to give up on my pup so I want to work on something that may be a little easier to tackle on my own being that I have no formal training/experience in dog training.

This led me to teaching tricks at home.

I was inspired by the cruft's heelwork to music competition that you can find on youtube…

So my question is this what tricks should I focus on? My pup already knows:

Sit

Down

Stay

Shake

Stand (a little rusty…)

We are working on:

Heel

Sit up/ beg /sit pretty

Directions (spinning left/right with the respective command)

Weave (between legs)

Obviously this is nowhere near the level that the people at the cruft's show were on but I don’t expect that…

My favorite trick (that I've seen) is where you get the dog to lift a paw and sort of pretend limp/skip (by switching paws as it walks) has anyone trained this? Do you have any tips on that?

Ps. My puppy's name is pepper (paprika for long) and she is my avitar

Some other good basic Freestyle moves/behaviors:

Circle around you (either direction, or both)

Pivots

Backing up (away from you independently and/or with you as you move)

Prop work can be good, too.

Circle around a prop

Paws up on a prop

Paws up on a cane

Hup over a cane

I wish you the best with it!

Doing 'turns' or circles in front of you and on both sides. This is also a useful agility command to get your dog to turn away from you and take an obstacle. If you plan to do agility make sure all the side turns have the dog start by turning away from you rather than towards you.

Paw targeting is great too. It can be used to get other tricks later.

Platform work is also great to teach dogs about their hind end and can also be a cute trick. You can use a phone book covered in duck tape or a wood platform of similar size and train your dog to move only their back end to do circles on the phone book.

Then you can train targeting with back feet to a platform as the dog learns more about how to use their back end.

If you are having a problem finding good local trainer, think about signing up for an online course. There are some really good ones now. The Fenzi Academy is one and has a wide range of courses, there is Agility University, I have taken online agility courses with Daisy Peel, and I am currently signed up to Slvia Trkmans puppy class.

Spins are my first recommendation for novice tricks - left and right.

I made a how-to video some time ago now for teaching limp. It may be helpful.

Clicker training is hacks when it comes to tricks, so if you're not using one already, I recommend you begin to at some point. Good luck!

Doing 'turns' or circles in front of you and on both sides. This is also a useful agility command to get your dog to turn away from you and take an obstacle. If you plan to do agility make sure all the side turns have the dog start by turning away from you rather than towards you.

Paw targeting is great too. It can be used to get other tricks later.

Platform work is also great to teach dogs about their hind end and can also be a cute trick. You can use a phone book covered in duck tape or a wood platform of similar size and train your dog to move only their back end to do circles on the phone book.

Then you can train targeting with back feet to a platform as the dog learns more about how to use their back end.

thanks! i don't have a phone book but I have some hefty collage books with a hard cover, that seemed to work really well too...

she was putting her front paws on it by command within 10 minutes this morning :D

...how would you suggest getting her back feet on it (would backing her onto it once she is a little better with it work?)

Spins are my first recommendation for novice tricks - left and right.

I made a how-to video some time ago now for teaching limp. It may be helpful.

Clicker training is hacks when it comes to tricks, so if you're not using one already, I recommend you begin to at some point. Good luck!

thank you as well :)

the YouTube video was very helpful, though it may take a little more work than the book thing. i will make sure to video some of her progress and show you all as she learns.

If you are having a problem finding good local trainer, think about signing up for an online course. There are some really good ones now. The Fenzi Academy is one and has a wide range of courses, there is Agility University, I have taken online agility courses with Daisy Peel, and I am currently signed up to Slvia Trkmans puppy class.

I would be OK with just doing online classes but i don't have much space at home :unsure:

I live in an apartment, (obviously we walk pepper and take her to the dog park as much as possible) but that means I don't have much of a yard to speak of...

Definitely focus on the front feet and moving the back feet first, then after she starts to understand how her back legs work (after a week or so of successfully moving her back feet around the book with her front paws just idle on the book.)

ETA: After she is ready to move onto back feet just have her step forward and put a back paw on the book. One works at first then raise the criteria and have her put both back feet only on it.

You might want to check out this site. There are TONS of free training videos, and if you scroll all the way down (past behavior and stuff), there are some awesome Freestyle/Trick themed videos.

It's all free, and Pam is very good.

http://pamsdogtraining.com/video-list/