BC Boards

What size collar and harness would a 10 week puppy wear?

I was carrying home the puppies puppy sized travel crate yesterday and realized I should probably have a collar and harness to take with me when I go and pick him up as he will have a lot of travelling to do. As this is my first little puppy I have no idea what sort of size to get.

And any other suggestions for things that will make travelling with a new puppy easier.

If you go online or in stores, collars and harnesses usally have sizing charts/information on how to find the best fit. So if you know the general size that your puppies neck and or chest(for harnesses), you should be able to use the size chart to pick out the right size for your puppy! If you can't figure out a general size, maybe contact the breeder or look online for an idea.

To make travelling easier, I would suggest bringing along a lot of chew toys and bully sticks/bones to keep your puppy occupied. I know that when we drove one of our puppies home, she would not stop crying, and it took ALOT of different toys, bones, and treats to keep her calm and happy for the long ride.

Hope this helps, and congratulations on your new puppy!

You can get 'puppy harnesses' or small dog harnesses that are enormously adjustable so they don't grow out of them too fast. I use one for a small dog and it's amazing how much bigger or smaller a dog it would also comfortably fit. Plus you can put a collartag on it.

They can range anywhere from 8 to 20 lbs at that age, so choosing the right size of crate, collar, harness, etc can be difficult.

For a collar I generally buy the 9 to 14" size. Matching size for harnesses. For a few pups, those have been too large. So I would have a spare smaller size just in case.

How long is your drive?