BC Boards

bump on lip

chrisandgabe

I already made an appointment at the vet, but it's not until Saturday which feels so long from now, and I'm getting nervous. Gabe has this weird little bump on his lip. I emailed a picture to the vet, and while she thinks it's nothing to worry about does want to examine him. He's not great at the vet, and always needs to be muzzled, so it's going to be hard for her to check, and I'm really nervous about it. Has anyone seen anything like this before? It doesn't seem to bother him at all, and he isn't acting sick.

26322755312_b7dd6b6e20.jpg

Add onto all this that we close on our first house on Tuesday, move next weekend, and are coming up quickly on the one year anniversary of our dog dying from liver failure of unexplained causes, a month after his 5th birthday. I've never had a "little bit sick" dog, my dog was just healthy until he was dying. So obviously my mind goes straight to that.

Any thoughts on what this could be? Or should I just try to forget about it until Saturday?

Thanks all.

I looks like just a bump or maybe a small abscess. Maybe a bug bite of some sort? Getting it checked out is smart though.

If it makes you feel better - Kolt had a small bump on the top of muzzle for a couple months. It stayed small and even (like a small wart) so I just kept an eye on it. Then I read something about Vit E maybe being helpful to get rid of warts so I put a drop on for a few days in a row. It looked a bit different one day so I put some pressure on it with my thumbnail and out popped a tiny thorn!! It completely went away after that.

If you're looking at the little "bump" on the lower lip - yeah, it looks something like a skin tag to me.

One of mine has several of these. I keep an eye on them, have the vet check them when we're in,

but really, they're nothing to worry about.

Good on you for getting it checked. But don't freak out! ;-)

diane

I've gotten skin tags on myself, and that is really what it looks like to me. Logically, I understand why the vet's response was "it looks like no big deal but come in to be sure", because on the off chance it WAS a big deal and she didn't say come in, that could be a big liability on her part. Logically, I understand all of this. However, nervous-dog-mom me is freaking out "the vet needs to see him! she's concerned!!" I so, so appreciate the votes of confidence to hold me over until Saturday.

Your vet needs to cover their ass, and they need to reassure you. If they made a diagnosis based off of an emailed picture they would be a terrible vet and there's a chance you would be worried for months to come. What if the picture didn't accurately depict it? And a good doctor of any kind recognizes that if something worries an owner/patient enough to come to them with, then they owe it to the person to follow through on it. I highly doubt that your vet is at all worried - they're simply being a good doctor. Put yourself in her shoes. Wouldn't you have asked the owner to come in, even if you saw nothing worrying on the picture?

Anyways, it looks like a skin tag to me too.

Your vet needs to cover their ass, and they need to reassure you. If they made a diagnosis based off of an emailed picture they would be a terrible vet and there's a chance you would be worried for months to come. What if the picture didn't accurately depict it? And a good doctor of any kind recognizes that if something worries an owner/patient enough to come to them with, then they owe it to the person to follow through on it. I highly doubt that your vet is at all worried - they're simply being a good doctor. Put yourself in her shoes. Wouldn't you have asked the owner to come in, even if you saw nothing worrying on the picture?

Anyways, it looks like a skin tag to me too.

Yeah, I rationally know that's what's going on. I think I'm also just nervous that he's going to need to be sedated to let her really look at it. He's awful at the vet, and is always muzzled, and I can't picture how she's going to look at this with a muzzle on. But, that's her job to figure out. I'm sure he's fine. I'll know for sure tomorrow. Thanks again, everyone.

Overall, a good visit. The vet's working her way into Gabe's "circle", so he was good enough for the exam she wanted to do (check lymph nodes, around his genitals and anus) while muzzled, and then hung out with her and got lots of treats afterwards. I was so proud! She thinks it's a viral papilloma, and we'll try some lysine to help clear it up. ::Big sigh of relief::