BC Boards

UK border collie lines?

I'm wondering what lines of border collies are there in the UK?

This is a very broad question, so I'll narrow it down a bit.

I'm talking about high drive working line border collies, which are built with a lighter frame possibly too, Im interested to know a few breeders or bloodlines that you would regard as great working dogs.

Also, I've already decided on the breeder for my next dog, so this isn't for me to choose a puppy from, just curiosity.

I'm just interested to hear about some different breeders and lines that you all know of and would classify as being "higher quality" working dogs :)

(higher quality may not be the right word, perhaps renowned?)

This type of thing really interests me for some reason, i'm not sure why though!

(also, this may be in the wrong area of the forums, if it is, sorry!)

That's like asking if Kentucky has race horses. ;) Seriously, I wouldn't even know where to start. England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales all have lots of good dogs and lots of good working lines. There are some breeders who rise to prominence because they are also world-class handlers, but they may not breed very often or have waiting lists when they do, and there are plenty of good dogs and good lines of dogs outside the more famous names.

If you join the ISDS through the website Dave linked above, they have a magazine that goes out 6 times a year with tons of articles about various dogs and handlers. Reading and research are the best I can recommend.

~ Gloria

The subject of breeding come up quite often when I'm up at my dog's breeder's place. Never once have I heard him talk about "high drive" or breeding for a particular build. Those are concerns of the sport world.

He talks of how a dog works, whether it's "a good one", whether it was a slow starter that came very good eventually or one that started well and was overtaken by the initially less obviously talented dog etc.

My dog is very finely built but not in the "puff of wind would blow it away" sort of way you can see in some purpose bred agility dogs. He is tough and robust, which is what is needed in a working dog. No one needing a working dog wants one that is going to keep breaking down.

Gloria is spot on in what she says.

The subject of breeding come up quite often when I'm up at my dog's breeder's place. Never once have I heard him talk about "high drive" or breeding for a particular build. Those are concerns of the sport world.He talks of how a dog works, whether it's "a good one", whether it was a slow starter that came very good eventually or one that started well and was overtaken by the initially less obviously talented dog etc.My dog is very finely built but not in the "puff of wind would blow it away" sort of way you can see in some purpose bred agility dogs. He is tough and robust, which is what is needed in a working dog. No one needing a working dog wants one that is going to keep breaking down.Gloria is spot on in what she says.

What Mum24 describes is just why I finally decided to get my dog from the same breeder, I have said for ages I wanted a sheepdog .. And all the decsriptions I got of the parents where all about their working style, but I think mine is going to be much heavier set. Another breeder who I was looking described how they liked to play, I had to re-ask about their working style.