BC Boards

Just wanted to say thanks

I'm sitting here at my computer with 10ish-month-old Livi zonked out on the floor behind me. Sundays are pretty full of non-dog-friendly activities for us, so it hasn't been a very exciting day for her. She got some play time in the backyard and some training this evening, but none of this "running for miles" or "hours of fetch" stuff you hear about Border Collies. In spite of that, she's been mannerly in the house -- yeah, she tried to get the cat to play, and I've had to confiscate a shoe and a piece of paper. But mostly she wandered around and sniffed, played with her toys, settled down with a chew for a while, and then went to sleep. It's been a while since we've had to crate her to get her to settle down or stay out of trouble. I think partly she's a good dog with a solid temperament and a good early foundation from her foster home (they had her till about 4 months). But I started reading here well before we got her and what I saw over and over again was not to feed an obsessive need for exercise and stimulation, and instead to teach the off switch. We stuck to that, and it's really paid off. We still have other issues to work on -- she's only 10 months, after all -- but having a dog who knows when to settle down without being physically exhausted first? Priceless.

So thanks, y'all, for being a source of real, reliable, rational information and advice. I'm incredibly grateful.

There is such a lot of help here. I often feel people don't realize what a terrific resource it is. And I know people on other breed boards who are amazed at the high level of help, caring, and civility there really is here. As one friend said, we haven't seen anything in terms of nastiness that she sees on other dog boards.

A "thank you" like yours makes it all worthwhile for the many people who make the effort to help.

In total, 100% agreement. I really should just say 'Thank you' at least once a month to the generous and knowledgeable people on these boards.

I don't post often asking questions any more - it seems someone else is asking what I need to know. The support I've gotten here when going through tough times is incredible. The wisdom of the collective minds just blows me away.

Thanks for saying thanks, TxMom. It reminds me I should do it more often.

Ruth and Gibbs

Yes, to all of the above. I came for knowledge about border collies (having discovered these forums when I had a young BC pup), but have repeatedly heard solid, common-sense advice that can be applied to all dogs - in addition to the border collie-specific advice I originally came for.

So - Thank you from me too. :)

Yes to everything and a big thanks from me too! When we lost our previous dog almost a year ago, I was distraught over both the loss of him and everything he was to me, but also the community that I lost with him. I had people I walked with, we did therapy dog things, he was a social dog that participated in a lot with me. Adopting Gabe helped fill the hole that Cole left, but the hole where the rest of the community used to be was still gaping. I'm so grateful to have found you all, to provide a dog-centered social outlet that doesn't stress out my nervous dog, and to find support and excellent guidance from the great minds here.

I will add my thanks too! Finley isn't our first dog, but he is our first with "herding personality". I have learned a lot about the breed from reading here. At almost 14 months he is still keeping us on our toes everyday! We just finished an obedience class, he learned school sounds amazingly similar to SQUIRREL!!!, oh and he improved his recall, heel and stay also. :)

Heidi

Will add my thanks here too. I've been, am on, other boards, and will say this one is an amazing combination of kindness, intelligence and generous training advice. I don't have the best personality for Sonic's needs, so I would really feel adrift with all your support.

Thanks so much.