BC Boards

How Many Agility Dogs Also Herd Competitively?

Rex has been competing in sheepdog trials since he was 18 months old. He has been running in Open for the past three years, and he will turn 9 at the Bluegrass in May. I don't know how much longer he will be running in field trials but I will enjoy the (white knuckle) ride until it's time to walk away.

He has been competing in agility since he was about 3. He has earned his ATChC in AAC, is a couple Jumpers Qs away from his ADCH (stupid tunnels!) in USDAA, he has competed at two AAC Nationals and two Cynosports.

To prepare for agility regionals in June, my instructor asked her students to make a highlight reel to motivate and inspire as we get ready for regionals. I posted mine on Facebook and some of my sheepdog friends asked where was Rex's herding highlight reel? So of course, I did one of those too. :D

Same dog, same handler, same inspirational soundtrack ... only the outfits change. :D

Rex's agility video

Rex's herding video

He has no problem switching between venues. He does not stare at me when we're working sheep. He doesn't try to cue off my body language - in fact, it would be nice if he would check in every now and again! Similarly in agility, he doesn't stare at stuff, or run wide around equipment. As others have said, dogs have a remarkable ability to understand context. They adapt better than people do!