BC Boards

Aggression question

^ Yes to both of those things! Also a big reason why it's nice to have a trainer help out in this is that you need to be able to read her body language really well and notice those subtle things like stiffening or even just suddenly stopping whatever she's doing (in this case stopping chewing/gnawing). Just because she's not growling doesn't mean she's comfortable. In the absence of a trainer simba's rule becomes really crucial to make sure you're not accidentally trying to make positive associations while she's already wanting you to go away.

Also wanted to add that the bigger difference in value between what she has and what you're giving, the easier this is going to be. For example, my dog WILL trade his kibble for milk bones, because why not, he likes milk bones. But he'll be way more excited to trade in his kibble for steak or liver, and that's the exchange that will stick in his mind and have him thinking "How do I make her to do that again?!" Not to mention, if he had a bone and I tried to trade it for milk bones I would have absolutely no luck. Either way, resource guarding is a serious problem and I wouldn't hold anything back here*. Give her something she really, really wants, not just something she likes a bit better than what she has.

*That said, obviously don't give her something that is the highest value possible if it's something she might guard instead (like a bone or a big piece of meat).

Would she guard a lower value chew like a bully stick, a pigs ear, or a Kong? If she guards edible chews maybe try a plain man made chew or a toy.

yes, anything thats a chew chew she guards. I was going to go after a Kong toy once but forgot my wallet and only had cash, not enough cash either, I was bummed, had I had my credit card, all would be good right now. I took all of her bones away.

Took all of the chew bones away from her....she goes from room to room looking for them, she can't figure out where they all went. Toys she has plenty of, I try to keep them new to her trading out every two weeks or so, what's left of them anyway. Grace is a chew dog, she loves tearing things up. she takes her back teeth and goes to town. We are learning now how to catch a Frisbee, she does pretty good I have to say, we are taking baby steps, she can't catch it far away, but does really well up to three feet. I'm proud of her. I gave her these things that clean her teeth, she loves them and I went to trade it out for something else but my something else wasn't any interest to her and by the time I found something she would rather have the teeth cleaner was long gone, lol. I will be better prepared tomorrow!! Grace is a mess but I tell you the truth she is a smart beautiful dog, she loves me and I love her, she isn't super affectionate but she has her moments. I have also been teaching her to not jump up on me, not for just when she see's me after a period of time but she jumps on me for all kinds of reasons, I was told to put her on the end of a leash, walk up to her and not pet her until she sits , it's working but when she is off leash she still gets pretty excited. We will get a groove yet.

Teeth cleaners might be a bit high value to start with, if she loves them? They are to my dogs anyway, they don't guard but they have all loved the teeth cleaning chew thingies.

You could try the stem of a bit of broccoli, or a carrot? Or a bit of stale bread, a stick if she picks them up when outdoors? And then have something ah-mazing like hot dogs or liver to trade for it. Have it 'set up' so you are ready.

There should be no comparison- what she has should be something she's barely interested in, what you have (and unexpectedly produce without her seeing) should be something she goes crazy for. This is just me being my 'softly softly' self. You're not as likely to do harm with broccoli vs hot dogs as you are with something that she loves.

Teeth cleaners might be a bit high value to start with, if she loves them? They are to my dogs anyway, they don't guard but they have all loved the teeth cleaning chew thingies.

You could try the stem of a bit of broccoli, or a carrot? Or a bit of stale bread, a stick if she picks them up when outdoors? And then have something ah-mazing like hot dogs or liver to trade for it. Have it 'set up' so you are ready.

There should be no comparison- what she has should be something she's barely interested in, what you have (and unexpectedly produce without her seeing) should be something she goes crazy for. This is just me being my 'softly softly' self. You're not as likely to do harm with broccoli vs hot dogs as you are with something that she loves.

That sounds better than the teeth cleaner, your right , its high value. Thanks and I will let u know.

^^ Yep, this is the right process.

But still don't start with something as high value as the bone! Start with something lower value, as has been mentioned previously, and work up to the bone.

You start with the small stuff and work up to the big things.

What does this look like? Is it right?

• 3 years later...

I know this was a long time ago but was re-reading.  I did do the trade thing.....worked!!! Oh, no bone, not now, not ever!  She snapped at me when I gave her something and went to take the bone. Gracie is now 3 years old and I have to tell you all, your advice is so valuable that without it Gracie might be someone else's dog.  I can take anything I want from her now just as easy as giving it to her.  Gracie is the best dog I have ever ever had.  I feel very blessed to have her. 

Thanks for posting the follow up. When we have puppies and are so invested in them, any slip up feels horrible but if we stay the course and do the right things it almost always works out fine (at least that's what I tell myself).