BC Boards

Made a decision on my next dog

After much thought I have decided that this young man is going to be my next partner, He is from Killiebrae Sheepdogs, his sire is Finn.

We will all be going on a long road trip to get him, first Mallorca to Kent, and then the 7 hours from Kent to Cumbria. He will spent a couple of weeks with me in the UK at my mothers until he is old enough to travel to Spain.

post-9159-0-14095100-1459249318_thumb.png

Names ... I don't think that will happen till we meet him, right now he looks like a guinea pig. One of the downsides of getting a dog from a traditional source is I am not going to get cute photo updates . Maybe on the drive when it seems real then we will start trying names out. Rievaulx has such a personal name, that I am thinking of naming him after somewhere that has significance to Newport, RI our home of 20 years, but we are struggling to find something that would make a good name. North Yorkshire was a rich source for dog names.

I decided on Killiabrae because after a number of conversations with some very helpful people online, I started to think about why occasional breeders breed, which is of course they like their bitch, but without knowing the dog, I was personally unsure of what I was potentially getting. I started to appreciate Killiebraes unemotional approach to breeding. This was really focused when I was looking at a litter that was near my family in Yorkshire, semi-retired farmer, who trials extensively and does well and his wife who trials and does agility. She gave me very honest descriptions of the dogs, both of them theirs, but other than the fact they liked their dogs there was nothing on paper that said this was a good pairing. Plus just about everyone I corresponded with said if you don't get one of our dogs you can't go wrong with Killiebrae.

• 2 weeks later...

Now he looks slightly more like a dog, we have come up with a name. He is Fenway aka Fenn, my husband is a New Englander and a baseball fan. As Rievaulx has a Yorkshire name, it felt right that this guy should have a New England name, ideally it would have been from Rhode Island but nothing fit, American Indian names just don't work for dogs

I am still holding my breath on if he is going to be cute , mum is very cute with lots of spots on her nose, so I have my fingers crossed he takes after her, dad looks very handsome on his biography page, but I have seen other photos of him stood with Derek and he looks like a dork, there is no doubting his talent but he would not be winning any beauty contests!!!! Fenn will be my first non-tri and my first almost smoothy which I keep telling myself is a good thing as he will not be compared to the others, some sort of coat was the only thing I wanted but if I can't have a coat, I love that he has traditional markings.

Finn's just broader than we're used to in agility but he's impressively powerful. I never used to like short coated prick eared dogs but now they're my favourite.

I think a lot of dogs don't look much when they're just hanging out but they transform when work is on offer.

You don't want a cute dog - people will call him she which I get all the time with Risk.

Fenn's a good name for a Finn pup.

I think a lot of dogs don't look much when they're just hanging out but they transform when work is on offer.

I totally agree with this.

I really like the name Fenn (for Fenway). I grew up in Vermont so appreciate the reference.

• 2 weeks later...

I got very sad news on Sunday night, I will not be getting my puppy. There has been devlopmental problems with a couple of the litter mates who are going to be put down. The rest of the litter will go to working homes unregistered and castrated.

I respect the breeders decision but I am pretty disappointed, we had even had to name for his paperwork. To make it worse I had just booked our ferry tickets on Friday, so I am not only not getting a puppy I am out of pocket 400 euros.

I am still trying to figure out what to do next, but the puppy hunt continues.