BC Boards
Sign in to follow this  
brookitar

New favorite Dog Spot: Emma Long Park

Recently I hosted a meetup at Emma Long Park on Turkey Creek Trail that was recommended by another member. I have fallen in love with this place, I have taken my dogs several times since. If you live in Austin you've got to check this place out. :)

post-16800-0-20193700-1459190025_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-89441700-1459190045_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-24886000-1459190048_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-80113600-1459190051_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-09309400-1459190054_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-44043700-1459190057_thumb.jpgpost-16800-0-09794300-1459190062_thumb.jpg

What an utterly gorgeous spot! I'd be tempted to jump in those pools right along with the dogs. ;)

~ Gloria

It was very tempting! Some parents let their kids swim in it so I'm sure there's no harm! :P

Our dog parks are about one flat acre surrounded by a fence.

We have a few of those too but Austin has built a number of nice dog parks in the recent years. This trail is luckily dog friendly off leash but you see all kinds of people there. It drives me crazy all the limestone we have...its hard for me to find a good flat disc spot with the dogs. I suppose I'm going to just start using soccer and baseball fields I can find.

This place looks lovely. I was going to move to Austin a year ago, but then plans changed. Now I wish I had moved.

In NY the places we have like this are usually overrun with disrespectful, loud people and littered with their beer cans.

While supposedly our places are friendly to off leash dogs, people will come grab at your dog and let their kids tug at them. It's horrible.

Austin has a lot of nice places still...I hope they last. Everyone has been moving here its making traffic unbearable, cost of living is going up without increasing pay and everything is being developed for more housing. Its better as a small city but nice place you should try moving here if you have another opportunity. :)

Also for the loud, obnoxious people...we have some of those too but there are many good spots to avoid them. Austin is pretty good about handing out tickets in the park areas...a little too good sometimes! Several of our dog park bars don't allow children...works out so well for me. One of my borders has to wear a muzzle at parks around kids if she's off leash her herding becomes aggressive/unpredictable.

My dogs are both pretty great around children and other people, but Luna gets a bit upset if people she doesn't know come up to her and tug on her or whatever.

It's hard to get people to listen around here. Even on private property with clear signs saying to keep out people will invade on your animals space. I have horses that I'll often see random little kids in with them, as if their parents didn't teach them its dangerous. They try to hide and run off when we show up, because they know there are keep out signs. It's like nobody taught their kids boundaries.

I hope I do get another opportunity to move. NY is way too expensive to live in, unfortunately that's where we have our jobs though, so we don't want to relocate and not find work.

I went to UT, waaaay back when it was commonly referred to as "The University" and everybody knew what that meant. Austin was just about bucolic in the late 70s.

I visited about 15 years ago or so, and didn't recognize it.

I have particularly fond memories of Barton Springs, and the bats from the underpass. And Armadillo World Headquarters, which is long defunct. It was a great place to live and go to school.

Ruth and Gibbs