BC Boards

Paw pad injuries

Since November of last year I have been the new organizer of Austin Border Collie Meetup. Typically I have been scheduling meets at dog parks and hiking areas with creek areas since the Texas weather is becoming quite nice. Recently however I have had many members that have complained of paw pad tearing from some of the dog parks or are just worried about paw pad injuries in general especially the creek areas.

This last Saturday we had a pretty good turnout half old and half newer members. Once we hiked to the creek area and the dogs played in the water most of the newer folks left in less than 20 minutes! It was bazaar...our regular members stayed of course since they enjoyed/recommended this location previously. A member told me that they had to leave because they were concerned that their border collie was tearing up her pads already. I apologized of course I felt really bad. I hope the other newer members didn't leave because they were afraid of injuries.

My borders are pretty young one is almost 2 and the other turned 1 recently...they play really hard everyday. I also do not rub anything on their pads like most recommend. Pads are normal not too soft or calloused. They have never suffered any paw pad injuries...neither have any of the dogs I grew up with. I'm trying to become more sensitive to this issue as an organizer. Does anyone have paw pad injury problems or have any insight they would like to share?

Here is the exact location we were at. This was the first time we met up here and was recommended by another member. (Those are my crazy two that jumped off the ledge it was unexpected but luckily they were not hurt!)

Dear Doggers,

My 4 year old sheepdog runs and runs and runs. He has created a dirt track around the house and one of his paws is almost always cracked. Now the older dogs (10) are running with the ATV they limp.They run on a farm road and grass. Anne puts vitamin e on pads and I have ordered iditarod boots. http://mtnridge.com/booties.html. I worry that a cut pad might get infected.

Donald McCaig

Helicopter dog parents? ^_^

Your photos look just like our creeks here in NY. We have a creek in the woods behind our property, most county land does as well where we walk the dogs. Yesterday was 70 so we took the dogs down to the bigger creek in the morning and they run and run, splash and play. I can't imagine not letting my dogs run or walk in creeks, it is a weekly/daily activity that the dogs absolutely love. Our dogs run daily off leash in fields, muddy/rocky/slate ground and their pads are used to that.

Only once when we were in a park Levi cut his pad on broken glass (irresponsible people leaving glass behind). He did not even notice, as the water turned red! We just kept it clean and had him stay home for a few days to try to avoid it getting infected. It healed just fine without medical attention.

We haven't made it out to a meetup yet because I'm not confident Livi would listen to me with that level of excitement going on, but I'm hoping as she gets a little older and more reliable we'll start making it to some meetups. It looks like y'all have a lot of fun! I think she'd have a blast in that sort of location. So far she only gets real off-leash time at my parents' place out in Bastrop. She runs around like a crazy thing, including jumping in and out of creeks and on rough terrain. So far no injuries. If they do happen... well, my son scraped his hand yesterday climbing a tree and I put a band-aid on it and told him to go play some more. But I think Waffles is right about helicopter dog parents. It's Austin: people are paranoid about their special snowflakes, be they kids or dogs.

I agree that one issue may be the helicopter parenting. I have seen that too. I try to let my dogs 'be dogs' within reason. There have been times when I have almost called them back because I thought they were getting into something more risky than I was comfortable with, but then I just mentally crossed my fingers and hoped that they would be OK. If not, I would deal with it. Then there are the times when a situation is obviously not good (like dogs chasing a deer through deadfall where I worry about a wrong move and the dog getting impaled on a stick), and I call them back. [Well, I call them back whenever they start to chase a deer because I just don't want them doing that, regardless of terrain.]

I think that one has to consider what the dog's life is like. Because I live rurally, my dogs are exposed to grass, gravel, creeks with rocks, sticker bushes, logs, sticks, animal poop, etc. when we go on daily walks. If a dog is kept on the green grass in someone's back yard, their pads will be softer and more prone to injury. One can not keep their dog bubble-wrapped and then expect it not to get injured when being a 'normal' dog.

Perhaps a mention to newbies that they should evaluate their dogs' normal daily activities and consider 'hardening up' their dogs' pads if they are too soft?

It seems to me that the issue you describe may be a lifestyle issue. [Excuse my cynicism. ;) ]

ETA: To me, this is somewhat analogous to expecting anyone (dog or human) who walks 1 mile every day to go on a 20 mile hike and NOT have any negative effects.

Yeah, as I was reading the original post I was thinking: Bet these dogs spend most of their time in the house and get walked only on grass so their pads never get a chance to toughen up.

Perhaps a mention to newbies that they should evaluate their dogs' normal daily activities and consider 'hardening up' their dogs' pads if they are too soft?

Yep. This is what I'd do. And maybe suggest they pack a basic first aid kit containing some wound wash, alcohol free liquid bandage, some gauze squares and vet wrap. Might not be a bad idea for you to have something like that on hand as well for everyone if they need it.

Looks like a lot of fun, though. You've given me the idea to start a border collie meet up here. :D

Assuming this is not merely helicoptering... my guy gets bad cracks (that have torn off in chunks) but only on his carpal pads-- It usually seems related to seasons when his pads get wet/dry/wet/dry...

Last year my vet suggested trying tea leaves --seriously. When applied directly, the tannins will gently toughen up the pads. Open up a damp (black) tea bag, place it on the pad(s) for a few minutes 2Xs/day. Wrap with saran wrap to hold them in place. The wet leaves need to be applied directly, not just the bag ...If nothing else, it makes for a good training exercise ;-)

Just be sure NOT to let your dog ingest the tea leaves!!!) BTW, It did seem to help... :-)

There's also a product called "Toughen-Up" sold by Vickie Close (Handhills Border Collies) CDA, ID- that many recommend, although I haven't used it myself.

Dear Doggers,

My 4 year old sheepdog runs and runs and runs. He has created a dirt track around the house and one of his paws is almost always cracked. Now the older dogs (10) are running with the ATV they limp.They run on a farm road and grass. Anne puts vitamin e on pads and I have ordered iditarod boots. http://mtnridge.com/booties.html. I worry that a cut pad might get infected.

Donald McCaig

Wow that's intense I hope they get better. I heard of people using vitamin E I hope it works. On the Disc Team I'm on I've seen a member use a wrap bandage to protect the area during a meet. The dog actually did really good during comp and got an award. He healed up pretty fast I assume. :)

What a great location. Am I getting it right that people are only worried about these injuries?

Yes that is the biggest complaint I have gotten as the organizer is paw pad injuries occurring at certain locations. Sometimes members leave before their dogs have time to really play because they are nervous about these injuries because of the rocks.

We haven't made it out to a meetup yet because I'm not confident Livi would listen to me with that level of excitement going on, but I'm hoping as she gets a little older and more reliable we'll start making it to some meetups. It looks like y'all have a lot of fun! I think she'd have a blast in that sort of location. So far she only gets real off-leash time at my parents' place out in Bastrop. She runs around like a crazy thing, including jumping in and out of creeks and on rough terrain. So far no injuries. If they do happen... well, my son scraped his hand yesterday climbing a tree and I put a band-aid on it and told him to go play some more. But I think Waffles is right about helicopter dog parents. It's Austin: people are paranoid about their special snowflakes, be they kids or dogs.

Can't wait for you to be able to make it! Lately I've been trying to squeeze in all the good hiking locations before it gets too hot! I'm hoping to do more dog parks that are enclosed during the summer. In specific we actually did have a problem with Cedar Bark Park with paw pads on the non-water side. There were more rocks than usual I'm not sure if its because there was heavy rain or if someone dumped all the rock buckets on the ground. I suggested halfway through the meet to go to the water side that has a grassier and soft dirt surface but a lot of people wanted to stay so their dogs wouldn't get wet. Next day I heard at least four dogs had some paw pad tears...:( I felt bad but I tried to push to move locations several times when I felt it was unsafe! Its a great location otherwise if you're willing to let your dog get a little wet...there is a wash station at the end that I love! Your pup sounds so much like mine. Loki has to jump off everything (good for disc) so I really have to grab him before he notices the opportunity to jump off something high. As for Walnut Creek my fiance thought maybe it was a case of helicopter parenting. I did not observe any dog fights, problems with other people, etc.

Helicopter dog parents? ^_^

Your photos look just like our creeks here in NY. We have a creek in the woods behind our property, most county land does as well where we walk the dogs. Yesterday was 70 so we took the dogs down to the bigger creek in the morning and they run and run, splash and play. I can't imagine not letting my dogs run or walk in creeks, it is a weekly/daily activity that the dogs absolutely love. Our dogs run daily off leash in fields, muddy/rocky/slate ground and their pads are used to that.

Only once when we were in a park Levi cut his pad on broken glass (irresponsible people leaving glass behind). He did not even notice, as the water turned red! We just kept it clean and had him stay home for a few days to try to avoid it getting infected. It healed just fine without medical attention.

Kind of what my fiance and I were thinking (but in a respectful way). :P I'm trying to be more understanding but I'm beginning to realize you can't please all the members unfortunately.

That's nice that's how the weather has been here! Best time of the year before it gets too hot! Yeah that's generally what I do with my dogs they have to get at least 2-3 hours of hard play each day. I assuming our dog's paw pads are use to the rough play? My fiance suggested maybe their dogs have softer pads due to only having yard play?

Ouch that drives me crazy when people do that. Luckily mine haven't stepped on glass yet but we've has some close calls. However I did have a stick injury in Loki's throat last month that gave me a huge scare.

I agree that one issue may be the helicopter parenting. I have seen that too. I try to let my dogs 'be dogs' within reason. There have been times when I have almost called them back because I thought they were getting into something more risky than I was comfortable with, but then I just mentally crossed my fingers and hoped that they would be OK. If not, I would deal with it. Then there are the times when a situation is obviously not good (like dogs chasing a deer through deadfall where I worry about a wrong move and the dog getting impaled on a stick), and I call them back. [Well, I call them back whenever they start to chase a deer because I just don't want them doing that, regardless of terrain.]

I think that one has to consider what the dog's life is like. Because I live rurally, my dogs are exposed to grass, gravel, creeks with rocks, sticker bushes, logs, sticks, animal poop, etc. when we go on daily walks. If a dog is kept on the green grass in someone's back yard, their pads will be softer and more prone to injury. One can not keep their dog bubble-wrapped and then expect it not to get injured when being a 'normal' dog.

It seems to me that the issue you describe may be a lifestyle issue. [Excuse my cynicism. ;) ]

ETA: To me, this is somewhat analogous to expecting anyone (dog or human) who walks 1 mile every day to go on a 20 mile hike and NOT have any negative effects.

That's how we are with our dogs. We do love them but at the end of the day they are animals not children they deserve to run around outside and play. However I have had a share of my freak accidents with the merle that was a rescue. We think he may be a little sight impaired due to the injuries he gets running into very obvious things like lamp poles, agility jumps, park benches, etc. Or he could just be a clumsy dog! Either way I can't afford to helicopter parent with this dog or I would give myself a heart attack everyday!

Exactly what I was thinking. I'm assuming some may just play in the yard most of the day and have softer pads. We take our dogs out on rural hikes and have one involved in several sports. Never had a paw pad injury yet on either of them. The terrain they are exposed to is probably a lot different from most of the meetup dogs. The regular members who stayed at this location take their dogs to places like that a lot...never heard them complain of any pad injuries.

Couldn't help but laugh. :) Haha yeah for the next hike I prepared more info and links to the Texas parks and recreation website so they can read up on the location next time. We only went about a mile on this hike (it was a shorter one) we stopped at the creek so a few of the late stragglers could find us. That's another factor...maybe people were more interested in a hike and didn't feel like waiting for the late members at that spot? Not sure but I think the most important part (the point of the meet) is to put your own needs aside and let the doggies have some fun. -my biased opinion that I would never mention to members of course

I always let my dogs run around on rocks and in creeks etc with no issues.... But then again they've been doing it since they were puppies so maybe they're paws are tough.

Same with my doggies! Maybe that's why we don't get paw pad injuries I'm assuming. We still do a lot of more rural activities.

Yeah, as I was reading the original post I was thinking: Bet these dogs spend most of their time in the house and get walked only on grass so their pads never get a chance to toughen up.

Yep. This is what I'd do. And maybe suggest they pack a basic first aid kit containing some wound wash, alcohol free liquid bandage, some gauze squares and vet wrap. Might not be a bod idea for you to have something like that on hand as well for everyone if they need it.

Looks like a lot of fun, though. You've given me the idea to start a border collie meet up here. :D

Yeah that's what my fiance thinks more like they are house dogs! Growing up my dogs have always been out on trails, at the lake, running hard everyday, etc. I do that stuff even more now that we have border collies but they love it!

Oh yeah that's actually a great idea. I will start bringing a first aide kit for now on! :) Thanks for the suggestion!

You should start one! I use meetup.com (I think its at no cost if your below a certain amount of members). We have 393 members so I have to pay a little fee to keep the page running...facebook is luckily free so I use both pages! The most rewarding part about keeping the group going is working with All Border Collie Rescue. We have fosters at most of our meets and we post meet and greets for the rescue as events. A large amount of our Austin applications have been from people who observe the BC meetups and spend time with our personal dogs/fosters. Some people even come to our meetups to observe the breed to see if they are ready to adopt from ABCR! It's been a really cool sort of partnership.

Assuming this is not merely helicoptering... my guy gets bad cracks (that have torn off in chunks) but only on his carpal pads-- It usually seems related to seasons when his pads get wet/dry/wet/dry...

Last year my vet suggested trying tea leaves --seriously. When applied directly, the tannins will gently toughen up the pads. Open up a damp (black) tea bag, place it on the pad(s) for a few minutes 2Xs/day. Wrap with saran wrap to hold them in place. The wet leaves need to be applied directly, not just the bag ...If nothing else, it makes for a good training exercise ;-)

Just be sure NOT to let your dog ingest the tea leaves!!!) BTW, It did seem to help... :-)

There's also a product called "Toughen-Up" sold by Vickie Close (Handhills Border Collies) CDA, ID- that many recommend, although I haven't used it myself.

Cool remedy that's the first I've heard it being used in dogs! :) I'll have to recommend that or use it myself if mine get cracked pads. I assume its the water and rock combo people are worried about.

I'll have to read more about "Toughen-Up" I wonder how that works!

Tess is my first dog living in an apartment. Before I had a cemented yard and it probably contributed to short nails and though paw pads. But Tess also has short nails (I never have to cut them) and never had a problem with her paw peds. We walk a lot every day in diferent surfaces, and go to the beach almost every day. Sand, I suspect, does a good job of toughening paw peds. At least it does tougthen my feet soles in summer. But it may very well be a bit of an individual thing, with some dogs just having more sensitive paw pads.

Seriously?? They didn't want their dogs to get wet!?!

'Nuff said.

. I suggested halfway through the meet to go to the water side that has a grassier and soft dirt surface but a lot of people wanted to stay so their dogs wouldn't get wet.

Tess is my first dog living in an apartment. Before I had a cemented yard and it probably contributed to short nails and though paw pads. But Tess also has short nails (I never have to cut them) and never had a problem with her paw peds. We walk a lot every day in diferent surfaces, and go to the beach almost every day. Sand, I suspect, does a good job of toughening paw peds. At least it does tougthen my feet soles in summer. But it may very well be a bit of an individual thing, with some dogs just having more sensitive paw pads.

We live in an apartment as well but luckily we have a decent sized dog park with small agility equipment outside our building. I'm thinking the environment really does toughen them up. We go out on trail hikes, the lake, and do sports a lot so paws are pretty tough I assume. That's nice you don't have to clip nails. My older family dog use to chew his nails down...he hated having them clipped. Some people really must have dogs more prone to paw pad injuries. I'm glad I'm not one of them!

Seriously?? They didn't want their dogs to get wet!?!

'Nuff said.

Yeah they think the water is too dirty...but the park people clean the water once a week. lol I see it as a free bath at the end of the meet...can't beat doggy wash stations!

My goodness, that looks like border collie heaven! I don't see a thing wrong with that place. If a dog has "carpet feet" I guess it could be a problem, but to my eyes, that looks like normal terrain. My dogs would be deliriously happy in a place like that! :)

The kind of footing that I DO worry about is hard-pan with a thin coating of grit or fine gravel, such as hard bladed dirt roads. That does tend to peel hide off my dogs' feet, especially my male who is a big, dynamic mover. But just this kind of natural footing? I don't worry about it unless they find some broken glass.

Looks like a fabulous get-together! :D

~ Gloria

Yeah they think the water is too dirty...but the park people clean the water once a week. lol I see it as a free bath at the end of the meet...can't beat doggy wash stations!

Ha! Dirty water... heaven forbid. Livi was jumping around in the mud at my parents' place the other weekend... the dirt out there is red, so I joked that I had a tricolored Border Collie. Then she splashed in the pond and that took care of the mud. My mom said, "Oh, you're going to have to give her a bath and a good brushing when you get home." Nope -- she dried out in her crate and looked good as new.

25852416401_683be1e238_z.jpgmuddylivi by birdofpray, on Flickr

Here she is running around in the water: https://flic.kr/p/Fm8FFC

"We do love them but at the end of the day they are animals not children they deserve to run around outside and play."

Lol!

Around here, kids usually get as dirty as the dogs :P it's good for all of them. The only thing that irritates me is when the dogs roll in poop...

Re: Pads. Kolt blew his pads pretty bad last year at a friend's pool. The combination of water and concrete sure did a number on them. Poor dog. But to me that just showed me that I need to make him take breaks and not constantly run back and forth on the concrete.

My goodness, that looks like border collie heaven! I don't see a thing wrong with that place. If a dog has "carpet feet" I guess it could be a problem, but to my eyes, that looks like normal terrain. My dogs would be deliriously happy in a place like that! :)

The kind of footing that I DO worry about is hard-pan with a thin coating of grit or fine gravel, such as hard bladed dirt roads. That does tend to peel hide off my dogs' feet, especially my male who is a big, dynamic mover. But just this kind of natural footing? I don't worry about it unless they find some broken glass.

Looks like a fabulous get-together! :D

~ Gloria

Lol I like that term "carpet feet" ! Yes this does seem to be the most exciting location for them they go wild with back and forth running for about 10 minutes and then they calm down enough to explore! I think the pure energy they have and all the running tends to scare people!

Yeah I get nervous with that too. Our jogging trail here has sharp red gravel so I'm pretty careful with that! It seems to really get stuck between their toes I'm sure its not comfortable!

Thanks!

Ha! Dirty water... heaven forbid. Livi was jumping around in the mud at my parents' place the other weekend... the dirt out there is red, so I joked that I had a tricolored Border Collie. Then she splashed in the pond and that took care of the mud. My mom said, "Oh, you're going to have to give her a bath and a good brushing when you get home." Nope -- she dried out in her crate and looked good as new.

25852416401_683be1e238_z.jpgmuddylivi by birdofpray, on Flickr

Here she is running around in the water: https://flic.kr/p/Fm8FFC

Livi is beatiful! Now is she the puppy you were talking about? Can't wait to meet her someday! Haha same with my dogs if they don't reek of stinky fish water they are good to go dry off on their own. I loved taking them to barton creek spillway (I never gave them a bath afterwards). Lol she looks so clean in that picture. It takes so little to get my merle looking dirty!

"We do love them but at the end of the day they are animals not children they deserve to run around outside and play."

Lol!

Around here, kids usually get as dirty as the dogs :P it's good for all of them. The only thing that irritates me is when the dogs roll in poop...

Re: Pads. Kolt blew his pads pretty bad last year at a friend's pool. The combination of water and concrete sure did a number on them. Poor dog. But to me that just showed me that I need to make him take breaks and not constantly run back and forth on the concrete.

Lol yep they don't roll in poop or dead things that's the good thing about kids. Another thing it common is forcing them to take a bath afterwards! :P

Ouch yeah concrete makes me nervous with dogs! It gets so hot in Texas I'm afraid it will burn their feet.

Livi is beatiful! Now is she the puppy you were talking about? Can't wait to meet her someday! Haha same with my dogs if they don't reek of stinky fish water they are good to go dry off on their own. I loved taking them to barton creek spillway (I never gave them a bath afterwards). Lol she looks so clean in that picture. It takes so little to get my merle looking dirty!

Thank you! Yes, she's 8 or 9 months now -- she came from ABCR back in October. She's actually pretty clean in the picture because she'd been playing in the water. Before that the bottom half of her was red with Bastrop mud!