BC Boards

Sleeping Outside?

Our 3 year old male border collie loves being outside. In fact, often times, he is stubborn and doesn't want to come in when we call him. With spring and warmer weather upon us, I've wondered about allow him to sleep outside. I don't like the idea, but he is not happy inside at night and will bark when he is put into his crate. He is very willing to enter his crate, but about 3 or 4 am he's whining. He spends most of his day outside, unless we're gone for an extended period of time. Anyone else deal with nighttime issues or sleep your bc outside?

Mine sleep inside for various reasons: no exposure to nighttime roamers (pets and wildlife), minimize exposure to mosquitoes (no sense in really putting heartworm preventives to the test), unable to disturb the neighbors if they get a wild hair and bark, bark, bark in the middle of the night. I teach all of mine to spend time in a crate quietly. There are times when we travel that they needed to be crated (or in a hotel room) and they just aren't allowed to be noisy because of the potential to disturb people.

It's possible that he's learned that if he whines he'll be let out and is taking full advantage of that fact. Personally I'd retrain him to the crate (7-8 hours of quiet). If he's used to being out and being able to eliminate whenever he chooses, then he might well need to go to the bathroom because he's never been required to learn to hold it.

J.

Where would he be housed at night? do you have an outdoor kennel area? I wouldn't let most dogs (except an LGD) stay outside at night for the reasons Julie posted above even if I did have an outdoor kennel.

I haven't gotten that far. He'd have to be contained to some extent as I wouldn't let him roam. Most likely he'd be in a barn. I might just practice with him in the kennel and see how that goes. He's obviously smart enough to know when to get our attention in the kennel...but only does so at night.

Our younger dog would REFUSE to come inside. He just lovvvvves out side so much he would live out there if I let him, however it is dangerous for him so I trained him to come in without a fuss... He spends his days going on long walks and playing at the park so he can deal with sleeping indoors :).

Does your boy tear up the house if he is not in his crate? Or just pace around or something else annoying at night? If he absolutely must be in his crate (mine do weeknights bc we don't want to get woken up) then definitely stop letting him out when he whines. I let the dogs out to potty (on a leash) if they whine in the middle of the night then put them immediately back in their crate. They learned that it doesn't mean the get to come out for good so they eventually just stopped bothering with the whining and slept through the night... If he can handle being outside the crate there might be a spot he just prefers to sleep at... Our dogs get hot at night so they like to sleep on the hardwood or the leather couch (I know spoiled). The biggest thing that helped with our outdoor lover was that he got treats when he came inside EVERYTIME for a long time... So simple but it worked.

maybe get him used to spending more time inside than out so that he learns that isn't really an option. He probably just likes that he is allowed to do whatever he wants outside...

I agree with the posters above that crate is a nonnegotiable quiet spot where they stay as long as I want them to. We travel for work so we stay at hotels constantly and we need to be sure that if we needed to leave them there that they will be quiet. They only bark or whine if they have to use the restroom ... But it did take some effort to get to that point.

Also little side question that may be the issue for you... Is he getting enough exercise? If my dogs don't get enough during the day they will get antsy around 4 am (not when in crates but on nights we don't work they are allowed to sleep wherever they want). It's pretty much impossible to wear out BCs so if that's the case then the crate is pretty much the only option :/

Annndddd I bet a million dollars that the reason he only does it at night is because it only works at night!! Example: he whined a few times when you put him in the crate during the day but you either ignored it or left the house .... So he stopped trying.... But at night you are trying to sleep and are exhausted and the

Whining/barking was annoying as all heck so to shut him up you let him out and VOILA success!! Now he does it all the time and nearly has you convinced to let him sleep outside where HE wants to be... You have been played :)

Our younger dog would REFUSE to come inside. He just lovvvvves out side so much he would live out there if I let him, however it is dangerous for him so I trained him to come in without a fuss... He spends his days going on long walks and playing at the park so he can deal with sleeping indoors :).

Does your boy tear up the house if he is not in his crate? Or just pace around or something else annoying at night? If he absolutely must be in his crate (mine do weeknights bc we don't want to get woken up) then definitely stop letting him out when he whines. I let the dogs out to potty (on a leash) if they whine in the middle of the night then put them immediately back in their crate. They learned that it doesn't mean the get to come out for good so they eventually just stopped bothering with the whining and slept through the night... If he can handle being outside the crate there might be a spot he just prefers to sleep at... Our dogs get hot at night so they like to sleep on the hardwood or the leather couch (I know spoiled). The biggest thing that helped with our outdoor lover was that he got treats when he came inside EVERYTIME for a long time... So simple but it worked.

maybe get him used to spending more time inside than out so that he learns that isn't really an option. He probably just likes that he is allowed to do whatever he wants outside...

I agree with the posters above that crate is a nonnegotiable quiet spot where they stay as long as I want them to. We travel for work so we stay at hotels constantly and we need to be sure that if we needed to leave them there that they will be quiet. They only bark or whine if they have to use the restroom ... But it did take some effort to get to that point.

Also little side question that may be the issue for you... Is he getting enough exercise? If my dogs don't get enough during the day they will get antsy around 4 am (not when in crates but on nights we don't work they are allowed to sleep wherever they want). It's pretty much impossible to wear out BCs so if that's the case then the crate is pretty much the only option :/

Annndddd I bet a million dollars that the reason he only does it at night is because it only works at night!! Example: he whined a few times when you put him in the crate during the day but you either ignored it or left the house .... So he stopped trying.... But at night you are trying to sleep and are exhausted and the

Whining/barking was annoying as all heck so to shut him up you let him out and VOILA success!! Now he does it all the time and nearly has you convinced to let him sleep outside where HE wants to be... You have been played :)

Yeah I think you are right. He gets enough exercise and pretty much roams our 2 acres all day. However, he could be lacking some mental exercise, especially during the colder winter months. He doesn't really bother us at night if he is in the house, but he'll take the liberties of hopping on the furniture leaving behind plenty of evidence. Crate is a must for us as well, just a little hiccup. Honestly, he's the first dog we've had that has challenged us so similarly to our own kids. Just needs a bit more parenting :)