BC Boards

Prayers please

jvw

Tyra has had horrific breath the past week. She is 15 and I thought perhaps her kidneys were going. I was going to make an appt in the morning. But I was just looking at her head on and I noticed her cheek was swollen. So I'm thinking must be an absess. I do my best to look in her mouth. I find something much worse. There is a very ugly tumor in there! Hopefully we can get into the vet dentist tomorrow. No sleep for me tonight.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We are back from surgery! He had to cut into her cheek to get to the mass. It started in the very back upper left. A very bad spot. He got the best margins that he could given the location. He agreed it was worrisome. The ugly thing is off to Colorado State for review. It will be a week before we know what it is. But I know it can't be good because as he was wrapping up his review he took my hand tenderly and said how sorry he was. He has an oncologist he refers to. But this will likely be the end of the road for us. She is 15 years and 4 months. I really can't see putting her through any more procedures. But who knows. More answers next week.

For now she is gorked out on pain meds, sleeping and snoring away. I will take her to work with me tomorrow to keep a close eye on her.

Thank you all again for your prayers and well wishes.

I agree that at her age, palliative care may be your best course of action. I made that choice with my Willow and months later her (mast cell) cancer went into remission and she lived nearly another three years (she was 13 at the time). Cherish the time you have now and make it the best you can for the both of you.

J.

It was a rough night. She was up pacing several times. Then I took her out and several times she strained some soft watery stool. I'm assuming this is probably from stress or the anesthesia. She was quite mopey this morning. I struggled to get some food in her to get her pain meds in her. But in the end was able to get enough food in her to give her all her meds.

Her left side is very swollen but I was told very clearly this would happen and is normal. The Previcox should help. They told me to ice it if she would tolerate it. Ha! Yeah right.

She's chilling here at work with me. I want to give her some Tramadol but I've never given it to her before and I'm not sure how loopy it will make her. So we'll save that until we get home.

Thank you again everyone