BC Boards

Gibbs needs an Emotional Support Animal

Had to take Gibbs to the ortho vet this morning, he's been limping. Not to worry, it's a sprained knee and we got excellent care and advice from Dr. Gurevich.

As usual, when we walked into the waiting room, Gibbs was nervous, drooling a bit, looking around. All very normal.

THEN - in bounces this little Chi mix, happy as a clam to see everyone, including Gibbs, the receptionist and the vet tech. Her owner said the dog has always loved coming to the vet.

Gibbs tail starts to wag, he and the Chi have a grand time getting to know one another and he's totally relaxed. Once the little dog got taken into the back, he lasted a minute or two with the upbeat attitude, kept looking around for the little dog.

When he understood that she was gone, his body language went back to scaredy dog. Sigh. Wish I could rent that little dog to accompany us to difficult places.

Ruth and Gibbs

Oh, that's sweet!

My neighbor has tentatively taken in an oft-rehomed chihuahua mix. Super cute little guy! Except... he is terrified to be outside (always tucks his tail between his legs), and in three weeks has not once gone to the bathroom outside. He does his business in the middle of the night in their basement.

The other night, I was in the yard with Cricket. The little dog was in his backyard. When he saw Cricket, his tail immediately went from between his legs to up and perky. Cricket did her zoomy run thing around my yard, and the little guy tried to chase her on his retractable lead. A few minutes later, he started a distinctive sniffing around the underbrush, and then... DID HIS BUSINESS!

Seems the presence of a cheerful dog can work wonders.

That is wonderful that the Chi Mix had such a good effect on Gibbs. My friend used to have a chihuahua that loved to watch TV. He would watch anything but his favourites were cartoons featuring dogs. If there was a dog, real or cartoon, on TV he would be front and centre.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Aw what a sweet story! Our Aussie GSD loves the vet too, comes in bounding and wagging his tail like a lunatic because he thinks it's an adventure. He especially loves to get on the scale... He runs strait to it when we walk in the door even though they haven't called us up for it and sits down waiting. The vets get a kick out of it, of course he hides behind mom the second they come at his butt with a thermometer though lol.

Follow up visit this a.m. to Dr. Gurevitch, the ortho vet. Gibbs' knee is much better, Dr. G couldn't detect any swelling at all around the knee cap, everything was as it should be. Looking over his total history, (about 4 visits in 5+ years) the vet recommended that if he limps again, on either rear leg, we should get hip and low back x rays. So, there just won't be another limp, right?

He should be back to normal activity levels in a week to 10 days.

Gibbs relaxed more quickly at this visit than the last one. He was mugging the vet for treats by the time we left.

Ruth and Gibbs