BC Boards

excessive sexual behavior at 8 weeks!!!

Please help, our beautiful pure breed puppy (male) has already started sexual behavior with other dogs. Also, quite disturbingly it has started sexual behaviour with our legs also! It has tried on numerous occasials humping our legs and arms and we are worried bout this considering the pup isnt even 9 weeks old!

Im not sure if its relevent but the pup is also very nippy and behaves poorly. I constantly tries to bite,even when disiplined as is becoming quite a handfull. We understand the biting problem and know this can be addressed but hope somebody can help with our puppys sexual urges.

At his age, the actions you describe (nipping/humping) are play and/or dominance related, not sexual urges. Discourage the biting and humping, and place him on a "time out" if he persists. He needs to learn the "Rules of Etiquette" now, before his puppy license expires - or he will continue to think this kind of behavior is acceptable.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that much of the OP's original concern is related to "puppy stuff" but there is no reason to criticize him for seeking a greater understanding of his puppy's behavior.

Leadership for dogs is great as well, but I would highly disagree with you on the restriction in puppies in the bedroom and the modified alpha roll you describe. These techniques, especially the rolling, are outdated and unnecessary for a normal puppy. A benevolent leadership program, where the dog must work before getting attention, food, or other resources works much better and does not have the potential to damage the dog-owner relationship.

As a trainer I would NEVER suggest anything that could cause fear - alpha rolling can do just that depending on how it is implemented and describing the action on a message board lends itself to inappropriate application.

The best way to teach others, whether dogs or people, is through positive reinforcement - please consider that when replying to posts. Thanks!

Not just dominance here.

Pups DO need to learn (or think they need to) how to do that behavior properly, especially male dogs. Most pups do that at that age or younger (when they are younger they do it to litter mates) just to learn what to do and how to do it.

Humping is actually not meant as "sexual behavior" most of the time - usually it is either dominance or "puppy learning". Really the only time mounting is meant as sexual behavior is with a female in season. Dogs DO know the difference.

The nipping can be just because you haven't taught the pup NOT to yet (or because the pup is still learning), but yelping is what works best IMO.

So what you're saying is that the OP is too stupid to grasp the concept presented to them, so your suggestions would be better suited? Wow.

Let me tell you something Hana. Lots of people get puppies without knowing much about them. A deep love for their pup will open the eyes and minds of lots of new owners. We're here to help people along and share our knowledge when we can, not look down on them or anyone else who tries to help them.

You can eat more than your hat as far as I'm concerned and yeah, your attitude has really rubbed me the wrong way.

Belle BC,

There is no need to attack someone who is asking for help. How are they to know that the behavior is dominance and not "sexual"? It looks sexual so that is what they take it as. They need education. They wanted a pup, it needs some work so they go to a board that they think they can find help from and all they get is an attack. They could turn out to be the best home for this pup with a little education and you want to tell them they are stupid and shouldn't have a dog. This list is not like other nasty lists. If you are going to continue to be that mean to people asking for help - asking for information on how they should react, please take your snobby attitude elsewhere. The rest of us would like to have friendly discussions and help out the occasionaly newbie.

Jennifer Glen

But whatever. If they can manage suitable positive training from their present frame of knowledge of the nature of dogs and puppies (a) fantastic! Let them go to it. And (:rolleyes: I'll eat my hat.
So I take it from this reasoning that people who don't know anything about dogs should never get a dog. Its kind of hard to learn about dogs without ever owning one. I'm sure we all were not born understanding dogs behavior. Education is the key here, not condescending remarks.

I hope the Original poster does come back for help with their puppy. It would be a shame if after reading the scathing posts here that they gave up on their pup.

Rusty pup,

Welcome to the boards . do not get discuraged with the negitive. Please ask any questions there are some strong op. ont this list. i would distract your dog with play if the pup is niping you or humping you can distract that by plying with him and his toy .

Most of us hear are learning something every day about our dogs . All though there are some that KNOW IT ALL.

LOL

bobh

Hi Rusty pup! Here's the deal, for right now yelp at the nipping and if it gets too bad walk away and ignore it. For the humping intitiate a time out (only 30 secends) where you walk away from it. Never pick up the puppy because then you are giving him the attention he was trying to get. As soon as your pup is old enough, enroll him in a puppy class.

By the way Hana, puppy rolls do not work!!! They can cause fear and/or aggression. Now I'm not just spewing this out. I have cases where this happened (my own Kellie in fact by a trainer when I didn't know any better. Kellie is now undergoing behavior modification for fear aggression when the last trainer I went to said it was dominence. :rolleyes: Point being, roll=bad and I would never do it again). All rolls do is invite confrontation. Some dogs can take it, most cannot, and I wouldn't invite the possibility of destroying a dog's personallity for the rest of their lives. IMO, positive reinforcement is the best way to go (especially when giving advice over the internet where others might not know what you mean and end up hurting the pup!! Think of that before suggesting adverse methods!) I see some very excited pups in my puppy classes and you know what? By week 3, if the owner has been working with them, there is a tremendious improvement.

Rustypup,

I have had a similar experience with one of my puppies. Indy started his mounting behavior at 5 weeks of age. I can only tell you what I did and what the result was

I ignored it and it went away with time. I also think that if you are firm with the biting and nipping issue he will develop respect for you and the mounting will cease. In the mean time, I would not allow him to mount you but I would put all 4 feet on the floor and then distract him with something else like a game or throwing a toy and teaching him to sit for that game whenever he is around you because if you condition him to sit or lie down in front of you for a reward then he cannot easily engage in the alternate, undesired behavior.

I think that if he mounts enough dogs, he will learn sooner than later that he takes a risk by doing that. Thankfully, dogs don't usually do any permanent harm to each other and they generally understand that puppies are puppies.

Is it possible that your pup was taken from his litter too early? Usually his dam and littermates are the best teachers in regards to this particular lesson. I don't think he is doing anything abnormal for his age (human male infants do some surpising things-even in the womb!) and if he were still with his dam and littermates today, they would remedy this. But in this case, hindsight is 20/20 and I think you can remedy this easier than you think with redirection and teaching an opposite behavior like a sit or a down.

Good luck- we are here for you,

Originally posted by Miztiki:

My two posts and a few other people's posts make absolutely no sense because the person we were replying to has deleted their posts.

Ooooh, Thanks God!!

I was beginning to think my english was worst than I tought and I was not understanding a letter :rolleyes:

Rustypup, Tuck was a mounter but not on us. He LOVED his teddy bear. We just ignored it or told him to get a room. It decreased as he got older but he would still do it at times with the same bear till he died at 11months. So I can't tell you if he would have ever completely out grew it. It is natural. When he is on your leg just gently pry him off and give him something else to play with. I recommend a nice teddy bear. Soft enough for puppy to nip it and pull, so you can easily distract pup from your leg and interest him in the toy.

Welcome .