BC Boards

Diet histrory of BCs that have attained very old age.

Lori Perry

I had one, Sabre, develop Mitral valve disease at 12. With meds, he made it until almost 14. Then Riddle was just a couple of months shy of 15 when I had her put down just before Christmas. When she was young, she got Iams, as it was still a good food back then. Over the years, I tried a number of different foods, some better than others. Canidae for a while, before they changed their recipe, then Strongpoint, then TOTW. And then to Nutrisource, which is what I am currently feeding and have been for over a year now. I also fed partial raw for several years, until I had too many dogs to keep up with it. I doubt their food has that much to do with it; I agree that it is more likely genetics. Riddle had some arthritis and some dementia before she had a vestibular incident that signalled the end. I think keeping them fit and active as much as possible will help with longevity, just like with people...

A

To be honest, I get all 3 of my dogs vaccinated every year. They get rabies, distemper/Parco combo (5 in 1),bordetella, and lepto. I had a dog who was 14.5 years old who also got vaccinated every year (died from rimadyl). My current 3 are ages 16, 6, and 2. I live in the suburbs and they can encounter and get sick from a lot of things in our area that the vaccines cover. I know many people here may disagree with me on how often I get them vaccinated.

Science and a leading veterinary association disagree, too. At least with the viral vaccines. Bacterial vaccines still need yearly boosters at least. But parvo/distemper/rabies are perfectly effective for at least 3 years.

Do you get them vaccinated every year for rabies and distemper/parvo? I did not know any vet did that still. Most states require a rabies vaccine every 3 years after their first 2 puppy vaccines. Distemper/parvo is every 3 years as well after puppy hood. I would be shocked if your vet suggests these be done every year.

To be honest, I get all 3 of my dogs vaccinated every year. They get rabies, distemper/Parco combo (5 in 1),bordetella, and lepto. I had a dog who was 14.5 years old who also got vaccinated every year (died from rimadyl). My current 3 are ages 16, 6, and 2. I live in the suburbs and they can encounter and get sick from a lot of things in our area that the vaccines cover. I know many people here may disagree with me on how often I get them vaccinated.

Rabies every 3. In our county, you have to have paper proof that you got the vaccine the previous year to get a 3 year. Distemper and parvo every year as part of the 6 in 1 which includes lepto. I have a friend in vet school and they are still teaching that they should be vaccinated yearly (except rabies).

I would be shocked if your vet suggests these be done every year.

Be shocked.

There are still vets recommending annual vaccinations, or at the very least not disabusing people of their mistaken beliefs that they need to have their dogs vaccinated every year and giving them to dogs whose owners ask.

A few years ago a friend's dog had a reaction to a combo vaccine. The next year she had the same reaction when it was given to her again! And yes, the vet had been informed of the reaction but repeated the vax a year later anyway. :angry:

Rabies every 3. In our county, you have to have paper proof that you got the vaccine the previous year to get a 3 year. Distemper and parvo every year as part of the 6 in 1 which includes lepto. I have a friend in vet school and they are still teaching that they should be vaccinated yearly (except rabies).

Well I am surprised that the vet is vaccinating every year for distemper/parvo. That is not necessary.

Why not have the lepto vaccine given alone each year? Distemper and parvo combo is good for 3 years for adults previously vaccinated.

I've had a theory that reducing stress in the dogs helps them have longer lives. This is a matter of not just feeding a good food (I've fed many brands over the years and people often think I use lots of additives due to nice shiny coats).Like people, when a dog is stressed (especially when stressed in a bad way) it takes a toll on the overall health.

Way back, most dogs roamed. The interacted with other dogs, got a sort of 'natural' socialization with kids and other people. Today few run loose. Border Collies were often kept up when on the farm, but had times where they ran and worked. Few were well socialized.

proper socialization can help reduce stress in the dog. It can help the dog get accustomed to things in the environment. Good training can reduce stress in the dog. Just like there are ways to reduce stress when handling livestock, there are ways to reduce stress to your dog when he is working livestock.

And there is good stress and bad stress. the dog that gets excited and shakes when waiting to work livestock can be experiencing a type of good stress. Much depends on his training and how he is handled (it can be a bad stress)

Well, let's see. I have not lost a single border collie before 15 years of age. I had a border collie x aussie mix who lived past his 17th birthday. Willow, my first border collie (a rescue) lived to less than one month shy of her 16th birthday. She had what was assumed to be mitral valve disease--had a grade 5 heart murmur for a number of years. When I had to have her put to sleep, I believe the issue was that her heart just could no longer compensate (we were at the Bluegrass so did not see her regular vet at the time). She was also a mast cell cancer survivor, treated between the ages of 12 and 13, stopped treating at 13 because of problems caused by chemo, and went into remission several months later (at 13).

Boy was 15 1/2; Jill was 3 months shy of 16. Farleigh was 15 1/2 (pts due to an inoperable tumor in his mouth); Kat was 15 1/2.

My oldest dog Twist is now 14 1/2. Her biggest health issue is spondylosis/arthritis.

Over the years, I have changed vaccine protocols. Pretty early on I went to a puppy shots, then once every three years protocol (rabies as required by law). By the time the dog reached age 10, I stopped vaccinating for anything but rabies. This was the protocol I followed for Willow and maybe a couple of the others. With my younger dogs (Lark, 10, and Pip and Phoebe, 9 1/2), they got a 3-way puppy vaccine (three doses, with the last dose at 16 weeks) a booster at one year and then nothing after that, except rabies as required by law.

I want to point out that the three-year protocol isn't what it is because the vaccines are "good for three years" but rather that 3 years is the accepted agreed-upon interval that veterinarians recommend. I believe vaccine efficacy has been tested out as far as 7 years, but don't have the time or inclination to look for the data right now.

I am following the same protocol with my youngsters (ages almost 3, 17 months, 17 months, and almost a year).

I never really fed grocery store brands (except Purina One to Willow and Kat when they were quite aged, because it was one food that they would readily eat, and by age 14+ it's unlikely their diet is what would kill them). Individual dogs may have been fed the super premium foods, but generally my dogs have been fed mainly on Diamond, with other foods rotated in (Canidae, Wellness, etc.). I always add toppers (premium canned now but grocery store canned in the past), cottage cheese, yogurt, etc., and fresh foods like eggs. Also raw or cooked meat as available, including my own sheep and chickens. Raw meaty bones on a fairly regular basis.

My dogs are working dogs and so are kept lean and fit. Most of them are related, but Boy, Willow, Kat, and Farleigh were not related to the others.

So I'd say it's not just genetics, not just vaccination protocol, and not just diet. There are probably any number of factors that contribute to longevity, and I've been blessed to have long-lived dogs.

J.

Rabies Challenge Fund is a good place to start:

http://www.rabieschallengefund.org/

I know Terrierman has posted articles showing that as far back as the 1970's it was believed that core vaccines (rabies and distemper/parvo) were 'effective' for much longer than 3 years.

I follow a similar protocol you do Julie. My senior animals are no longer vaccinated and my vet agrees. Sick and senior animals should not be vaccinated. He is a regular, traditional vet too. Dogs are kept up on Rabies as required by law. I have done titers (distemper/parvo) in the past, vet calls and always says all is good, no need to vaccinate again.

I believe my vet will vaccinate as the owner requests as Gentlelake says. But when I say I don't want to vaccinate my older adult animals anymore or my senior cats, he does not bat an eye.

Interestingly, my in-laws who do not have any knowledge at all about vaccines or diets (they feed Walmart brand food), go to a rural vet that recommended they do not vaccinate their 5 and 7 year old dogs anymore (except rabies). Both are fine health wise and have always had their 1yr and 3 yr vaccines. My MIL asked me if this was 'okay' when the vet told her the dogs did not need anymore vaccines (after he asked if they were ever boarded, attend daycare, dog parks, etc).

I want to point out that the three-year protocol isn't what it is because the vaccines are "good for three years" but rather that 3 years is the accepted agreed-upon interval that veterinarians recommend. I believe vaccine efficacy has been tested out as far as 7 years, but don't have the time or inclination to look for the data right now.

J.

I've mentioned here before, but I think it bears repeating, that the three year interval was an arbitrary decision arrived at by some of the veterinary professional organizations (e.g. AAVHA and AVMA) as a compromise measure to placate their members who were concerned about loosing business if they recommended longer intervals. It was not based n scientific evidence, which as others have pointed out has proven longer duration of immunity than 3 years, but on politics because a whole lot of veterinarians were more concerned about their bottom line than they were about the well being of their patients. They were afraid pet owners wouldn't bring their pets in for annual wellness exams if they didn't believe they needed annual booster shots.

Here's some info on duration of immunity: http://truth4pets.org/2012/06/duration-of-immunity/

ETA: This is probably the same info but will add it just in case: http://www.vet.bc.ca/canine-vaccines.pml

Sammie, a Border Collie mix, made it to 14+.

I fed him Iams for a year or so, then Nutro for a while, then Purina One for a while, then Wellness for several years, then Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, then Taste of the Wild. For the last several years of his life, he was mostly raw fed.

Speedy got to 12+ and was mostly raw fed for most of his life.

Jester is well into the age of 15 and still going strong with no health issues. He's half blind and pretty deaf and stumbles now and then, especially if he misjudges where a step is, but he has no health issues other than things are wearing out. I honestly believe that the most significant factor in his good health and condition (many times people have a hard time believing he is this old) is the fact that he has had good exercise on pretty much a daily basis ever since he came to me at age 2. Not just the exercise, but the fact that he has always had so much fun with it. Just like people - use it or lose it, and if you are having fun you are alive and living it.

Kit is 14 now and her world centers around Jester. When she came to me she was in terrible shape, and had been picked on her whole life. Being in this home with Jes has made her happy and given her a purpose in life - something I believe she really needed. Her purpose is to be with Jester. Again - like people- having a sense of place and purpose makes you want to get up in the morning and do the day.

I think dogs are like people. It isn't just about diet (although I do believe that many actual illnesses are caused by and can be treated by diet). It's really about how you feel.

The scientific studies they did of the communities where people regularly lived into their 100s all had certain things in common: a diet of fresh local food, a sense of community, meaningful place in that community and work for people of all ages, and daily physical activity at all ages.