BC Boards

New BC owner! Little help...

A couple years ago one of my dogs picked up an eye infection that quickly spread to all three dogs and a dog I was boarding.

I picked up an herbal eye wash made by Halo, called Cloud Nine Herbal Eye Wash Anitra's Herbal Formulation with bottles of goldenseal and eyebright concentrates that you dilute and alternate. I got this at the health food store, but I'm sure it's also readily available online.

IIRC I had to repeat the routine but it cleared up everyone's eyes perfectly.

If the second round hadn't worked, I definitely would have made a trip to the vet, but a lot of these things are pretty minor so I like to try eyebright for it first. I've used plain eyebright tissanes that I've made myself before, but with the boarder I wanted to knock it out quickly so thought the goldenseal would be a good adjunct to it.

Could just be a cold in the eye or then again NOT! Like everyone else take that baby to the Vet, ounce of prevention pound of cure sort of thing. I was just at the Vet with my Bella and my new Border Collie, Gracie the BC is coming along nicely, 12 pounds and she received her second round of shots, no problem! what a champion. Bella on the other hand has had a bleeding problem, she has been treated for a UTI and also given an Ultra Sound no improvement, I, like you, asked these people to tell me what they thought might be wrong with my 5 pound chihuahua, they said sounded like a bacteria infection to them, well what do you know!! It was a bacteria infection, she was prescribed Cephalexin, half capsule in the morning and half at night. I love this site and will always come here for advise. I've never known a people so ready to help and so concerned about someone else's animals, it really does blow my mind. I have come to rely on these friends.

I once used some freshly steeped and cooled chamomile tea to wipe the gunky eye of one of my dogs and it cleared up quickly. I can't say that the eye was not going to clear up anyway, but that may be an option. Apparently it is a common home remedy for horses with gunky eyes too.

Hmm, I never had an issue with Mini Zukes but for puppy training, I probably used my fingernail to cut them into quarters which would have avoided a problem. As adults, they take full-sized ones without any problem.

This potential problem was good to learn.