BC Boards

Agility Premiums and Programs

I'm looking for suggestions on USER FRIENDLY agility programs to run a trial. It must be compatible for the AAC formats. We're also looking for ideas on premiums. This is our second trial but last season we ran in conjunction with another club which prepared the paperwork.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,

Christine

To be honest with you as a trial Secretary I do not know of any programs out there that support AAC. However I am in the US and to the best of my knowledge we dont have AAC trials. You might want to contact another club in your area that sponsors an AAC trial and see what they use. As for an overall program I use Trial Secretary by Tim Verelli ( a USDAA judge). It supports Nadac, AKC, and USDAA venues and is wonderful. Tim offers lots of support, frequent and free downloadable updates. There is also a yahoo group for this program.

Feelgood only does NADAC trials right now (and very fun trials too!). <...Shameless plug > entries now being accepted for the March all games trial! Indoors! One ring! <.../Shameless Plug>

The only software I am aware of for AAC trials is Jumping Bean. For the one-day small trial that we're holding this fall, I've written a database application.

If you are comfortable writing databases, it's not too difficult to write one that will serve your purposes. The important thing is to understand the outputs that the AAC requires (qualifiers report, trial report) so that you're sure you can produce these.

Originally posted by CindyH:

We're hoping to make our international debut at their May trial, we need Q's in Regular more than anything else!!

Cool! We'll be at that one too. There is very little NADAC around here - 4 trials a year, I think. It makes the NATCH a long hard slog, especially since we'll need Elite Weavers (ack! we don't even have a single Novice Q!).

Feelgood trials are so much fun! Make sure you come say 'hi'. I have the very obedient black aussie-like dog and the very loud, stumpy-tailed, slick-coated borderline collie with the big tongue. Kinda hard to miss her, she's the one that dives into tunnels. :rolleyes:

There is very little NADAC around here - 4 trials a year, I think.
Well then you need to start competing in Washington!! We have quite a few down this way. My best agility friend goes to the Feel Good trials, and she's been "encouraging" me to add that to my list of 'go-to's' this year. And yes, I hear they are alot of fun (and they put on a pretty good spread for the workers, if I'm remembering my info correctly, I obviously have trouble with that :rolleyes: )

I've recently made the decision to quit playing around in Novice and go for Daphne's NATCH, it's exciting to have a lofty goal!!

I've seen pictures you've posted of Wicked's tongue.......no need for the Humunga-Tunga toy for her :D

Well then you need to start competing in Washington!!

I know. Our last NADAC trial was so small, there were 3 Elite dogs ... period. Made for a quick walk-through! And Wick won every class where we didn't go into training mode as she was the only 20". :rolleyes:

The food is fabulous for workers, you heard right. I think we had Greek-style chicken last time. They usually have an auction too - you can bid for a chance to run one of those crazy-fast dogs (like Zephyr, Xena, Quickie, etc.) in Tunnelers. I get asked to put Wick in the auction but I don't think anyone else would enjoy running her as she is not, er, forgiving of handler error.

Bear is in Novice everything as we're going for a Triple Superior. Well, he's in Open TNG b/c he has his Superior Novice in that, but everything else is Novice because he likes it. Wick's in Elite everything except for Weavers as she doesn't seem to weave well in public.

I know. Our last NADAC trial was so small, there were 3 Elite dogs ... period.
Wow, that's amazing, I think I'd prefer that over the 40-plus that I see here.

Our next trial will be the first time competing in Open. Although we're still looking for those last 15 points in Regular, she's got Outstanding titles in Gamblers, Jumpers and Tunnlers. Notice that we are lacking in the classes that require contacts and/or weaves? :rolleyes: I've retrained contacts with the clicker, successfully so far, and got competition weave poles for Christmas!!! We're ready to rock!!

I had planned on working towards her Triple Superior in every level, but when she turned 7 reality hit me. She's very capable of being a NATCH dog but I don't trial much and I'd hate to run out of time, so we're movin' on up!!

Notice that we are lacking in the classes that require contacts and/or weaves? :rolleyes: I've retrained contacts with the clicker, successfully so far, and got competition weave poles for Christmas!!! We're ready to rock!!

Oh, I feel your pain. Wick has awesome contacts (TNG is my favourite class) but the weaves - my doG! I read her all the articles in Clean Run, made her watch the FCI World Championships - do you think she will deign to weave in a trial????

I know what you mean about running out of time. If we had found NADAC a little earlier, I might have tried for a NATCH on Bear. He got his VATChC (AAC) last year, and I am pretty much over the moon about that. But he's 9 (or 10 or 11) now and since he's happy doing Novice, that's where we're staying. Besides, travelling to all those trials cuts into his 'sheep Saturday' time. :D

Get the Jumping Bean program from Jonathon Brown in Ontario, Canada. It does pretty much all the associations. If you go to the AAC website, www.aac.ca he is on the contact list and you can email him. I don't know what the cost of it is. We have used his program for years for both AAC and NADAC. You can also do USDAA, CKC and AKC as well with it. It does everything. Database, scoring, different types of scribe sheets, catalogue, gate lists, etc.

Question for Cindy and Kristi:

I've heard that trials at Feelgood and MegaDogs trial are both lots of fun. If I could only choose one, do you have a recommendation? One factor is that my dog and I are still quite green. We've been to the MegaDogs facility when we were the only ones there, and it seems like it would be a madhouse with two rings going and all the associated dogs/people/crates/etc. Maintaining self control in a stimulating setting is still...er, a bit of an issue for us.

Then again, I just posted in another thread that I was thinking of giving up flying with my dog, so maybe we aren't going to any more trials anywhere :rolleyes:

Hi Alaska,

I've never competed at either trial, friends of mine do though, and there are good reports for both venues. We're usually out of town during the Mega Dogs trial, but last year I was able to go and watch one day. It didn't seem out of the ordinary madhouse. The big plus for Mega Dogs is it's a three day trial, and since you travel so far it'd give you an extra day! Down side is, it usually fills fast and many people don't get in. I'm hoping to enter this year.

Everyone I know that has competed at the Feelgood trials LOVE them and look forward to the next one!!

I just read the thread where you're considering not flying with your dog anymore, hopefully Alaska Airlines will take care of the problem and you can continue to trial.

Originally posted by Alaska:

...I've heard that trials at Feelgood and MegaDogs trial are both lots of fun. If I could only choose one, do you have a recommendation?

I've not been to Mega Dogs but I am a HUGE fan of Karen's and I have tried, numerous times, to steal Lindy. From what I've heard, if it's rainy (and hey, it's Washington) the footing can get a bit mucky. I, being a wimp, prefer to be indoors on rainy days. OTOH, the trial is supposed to be so much fun!

Feelgood's March trial is indoors, but I'm not sure if they've decided where the May trial will be. The goody bags are great (helps when you own Feelgood Treat Co, makers of the best liver brownies), the trial is laid back, and they have a knack for finding just the right judge.

If I have a choice between a 1-ring trial, and a 2-ring trial, I will always choose 1 ring. With two dogs (one Elite, one Novice) it can be a bit hectic remembering courses, or figuring out when your walk-through is.

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with either. There are options for crating (in a car, set up an area away from the action, blankets around ex-pen, etc.) that will minimize some of the stress and stimulation. Wick is not allowed to watch other dogs run because she will lose her marbles, so we just time it so we're not near the ring for too long, and she's got a deathgrip on her tug leash (no, we don't tug within 20' of the gate at a NADAC trial).