BC Boards

Now it is Kit I am worried about

D'Elle

Well, I always knew better than to have two dogs nearly the same age. But Kit was dropped into my lap by my vet as a gift, at a time when in practical terms I was in no position to adopt a second dog but in terms of the heart she was just what I needed, and I was not about to turn her away just because she is only a year younger than Jester. So now I have two aging border collies and I suppose the next few years will have some hard times.

Jes is 15, and he still has that lump in his neck and is still on antibiotics for it, but it is a lot smaller and no longer angry looking so I am not too worried about him right now.

But now Kit has me worried. She has some kind of urinary tract thing but what, exactly, is the question. She is not really urinating a whole lot more often than normal, but has increased some in frequency, and her urine has blood clots in it. I first noticed something on the floor last Friday evening, but with six animals ( and not six rooms) it took me until Monday to narrow it down to who was having the problem. She saw the vet Tuesday morning and we got a CBC and urinalysis.

The good news is the CBC doesn't show abnormal in BUN or Creatinine levels, so there's no indication of kidney dissase. Vet did not see crystals, but has sent both the urine and the blood out to a lab to have a closer look. She says it is not impossible to have blood clots with a UTI but not very common, either. So of course I am concerned it is something more. Meantime, she is on antibiotics.

Of course, like Jes, Kit is eating and acting normal. But good grief, they are border collies. They would have to be 3/4 dead before they would admit anything is wrong. I am glad that I know this and am keeping a closer watch on their bodies and behavior these days.

Anyway, please send some good mojo for Kit. She has spent her whole life doing her best to be a good dog, and I sure hope that I can find out what is wrong and get it taken care of fast.

Oh, and if any of you have had experience with blood clots in urine and have information I would like to hear from you.

Thanks.

What exactly do you mean by blood clots in her urine? hard clumps of blood?

I recently had a foster dog that came with a UTI, and I thought she had a UTI the minute I saw her urine puddle on our rug because it had a spot of blood in it. i.e. the blood was not dispersed throughout the urine puddle, but was actually a discreet spot. I took her into the vet, and she was so scared that she peed on the exam table - free urine sample!!! again, urine with a blood spot. One week of Clavamox cleared it up.

Good Luck with Kit.

I work as a Vet Tech. It could simply be a UTI, best case scenario. I would guess that the vet asked you about any ingestion of poisons (rat bait) that could cause bleeding, plus the CBC would have been abnormal.

Usually our route is if the urine pH is up and there is white blood cells in the urine, think UTI and start on antibiotics. If not looking like a UTI, x-ray and look for a bladder stone, you won't usually see a bladder tumor on x-ray. If no stone (they can be removed) then think tumor. We send them for an ultrasound. If no tumor seen, wonderful. Long course of antibiotics and urine rechecks. If a tumor is seen the radiologist will give an opinion of how likely it is to be removed surgically (depends on size/location.) There is a test that can be done on the urine to help type the cancer. Unfortunately, bladder tumors are usually aggressive but where I work we currently have a dog that was diagnosed with bladder cancer over a year ago (no surgery but did chemo) and a cat that was diagnosed about 4 months ago (surgery and chemo.) All that does is buy time, it's not a cure. I think the cancer type is most commonly transitional cell carcinoma (I think.)

I will pray and send lots and lots and lots of good Mojo that it is a urinary tract infection that she just happened to get since she is getting to be an old lady and that a long course of antibiotics will do the trick!!!!!!

Thanks for the good wishes, everyone.

Yes, GVC, I mean clumps of blood not dispersed in the urine.

Thanks, aschlemm, for all that information.

I hope that I will find out more today when the lab returns their analysis to my vet.

Well, heard from the vet.

Kit's white blood count is elevated, and there are no crystals in the urine, so a UTI is definitely likely, and we will continue with antibiotics. When the antibiotics course is just about run out I will have another urinalysis done so see what is happening at that point.

Her BUN and Creatinine are within the normal range, although not in the middle of the range. Her urine is concentrated. So, no kidney failure is indicated as yet, but she may be headed in that direction. I have been down that road before. I treated an extremely beloved cat....the cat of my heart....for chronic renal failure for three years before it finally took him at just a couple months shy of 18 years old. The vast majority of that time he had a very good quality of life, in large part because I did not care what anything cost me and my entire life revolved around taking care of him. I know what it takes, and so I know I can do it for Kit if it comes to that. But it sure is not a road I want to travel again.

So I am just going to hope like crazy that the antibiotics clear it up.