BC Boards

Agility Trainers in GA

I am working with a dog in the class that I'm teaching who has only done Obedience and we are having the darndest time getting the dog to do anything on the right. We are starting off with some foot targeting where the dog comes up next to the handler on the right to start to teach him that the right side is a good place to be. He will eventually get it, but it is going to take a lot more work than it would have taken had he been worked on both sides, at least to some extent, from the beginning.

So, I would definitely recommend doing a goodly amount of work on the right (even if you work tricks on the right at home or something) in addition to what you do in Obedience class, especially if you are going on to Advanced work.

I have a couple of dogs and humans that I teach who come from a more "traditional" obediance background and I find the dogs arent comfortable working away from their owners, sends around cones or driving ahead over jumps is challenging. One human is adapting well as is her dog but it has taken time, the other is a little more stuck in her ways! I also have a border collie who's owner is working IPO with a Malinois and she carries this over and the border collie who is a brilliant dog struggles to have independence.

The only one I can think of is Sirius agility, but they're about an hour away from you. Now, I drive that far for good training, so I don't think it's that bad, but not sure if you're up to that. Sirius puts on a lot of the big trials in Perry, too.

That sounds like they are pretty good then if they are putting on the agility shows. I am happy to drive an hour (I commute an hour to and from work everyday so I am used to that) but over an hour would be pushing it. That online one might be good since it would require a little less commitment and maybe I could use the tools while we are still working on obedience (neither dog knows a real heel). Thank you so much for the information, it is so nice to be able to talk to people that know about this stuff.

That online one might be good since it would require a little less commitment and maybe I could use the tools while we are still working on obedience (neither dog knows a real heel). Thank you so much for the information, it is so nice to be able to talk to people that know about this stuff.

Fenzi (online) is where I'm doing nosework with Livi, and the "Agility in the House" class looked really fun. You'd want to sign up in the next week or two -- classes started Monday (but you can catch up!) and enrollment closes two weeks in. The great thing is if you take the class, you keep the lectures and video in your library so you can work at your own pace and even just come back to the whole thing later if you want. During the class time you get additional benefit from classmates' videos and discussions.