BC Boards

My Dog is Choosing a Raw Diet Without My Consent

So, my little girl Cricket was billed as a "border collie/terrier" mix when I adopted her. Ahem. Try, "terrier/terrier" mix. :D

Anyway...

She loves to run in the woods and chase chipmunks and squirrels. But I didn't know she was an effective hunter until today, when I saw her swallowing a mouse. ::Shudder::

I suppose this is what wild dogs do, yes? It's disgusting to me (and disappointing, given my selection of expensive, grain-free dog food!). Anyone else have a dog who's gone wild and started hunting for himself?

Dogs and cats!

Kipp found himself a deer in the woods once. I suspect it was shot and then ran a ways before dying. He kept disappearing and wasn't very hungry (odd for Kipp) so I followed his trail and found his private cafe. It was winter so it stayed frozen at least :P it was on our land so I just headed back in the woods to collect him on a frequent basis for a month or so...

Yeah, given the chance/opportunity, my dogs would gulp down little rodents - and chew on old deer bones. What really disgusts me is when we run across deer guts in the woods. We let our neighbors hunt deer in the fall on our property. They will gut the deer 'in the field' before tying it on their ATV to take it home and butcher it. They do throw it off the beaten path, but the dogs have good noses. :) Every once in a while, I lose track of them and will find them over a pile of deer guts that I know was shot yesterday or three days ago or - maybe even a week or more in the past. I call them to me, and if they don't come, I start walking towards them. They know they are in trouble, but that doesn't prevent them from one or two final gulps before they leave the pile to come to me. I love it {NOT} when they run to me with a section of intestine hanging from their mouth. Ewwww!

First of all - my Rat Terrier regularly kills and consumes small rodents. As a result he's also regularly wormed.

But ironically, I once gave him a rejected by a snake dead feeder mouse. ...He *ate the skin* and left the perfectly skinned corpse in my bed.

Thanks, dog.

We have cotton tails and marsh hares here. The JRT is always hunting and frequently catches something. She has caught huge snakes 3 different times now. She is a very effective killer. I have no idea how many bunnies, mice, frogs, and lizards she has caught. I don't think she has successfully caught a bird yet, but her try is very impressive.

Our kill list includes: rabbits (multiple oh so many rabbits), squirrels, rats, voles, birds (especially apparently delicious baby birds), fish, crabs and moles (although we do not eat moles, as they are allegedly disgusting, so we spit them out) and two chicken-killing weasels. Oh and once Wootie consumed a dead snake. Surprisingly, most of the kills are the Aussies, not the terriers, though the terriers did kill the weasels. They receive Drontal on a regular basis.

I usually let them eat whatever they find, though the rats in particular gross me out.

4668923479_0c9748daa1_z.jpg

7564853080_e1dd62fd05_b.jpg

Deworming for the kind of tapeworms they get from eating lizards, I think bunnies are in the same category, takes a stronger dose than the type of tapeworms they get from ingesting fleas. If they get things like that regularly, I would worm twice a year. It take a while for tapeworms to get bad enough to matter.

Personally, I let mine eat fresh kills, but not old stuff. It won't be frozen here.

I do not *allow* them to eat what they find. I try to call them off, but because it (guts, bones, etc) seems to be extremely delicious (see my post above - #3), they try to gulp down as much as possible before I descend on them to chase them away.

I don't indiscriminately worm. I will usually bring in a fecal to determine type of parasite before I worm.

I don't generally allow my dogs to eat what they've killed (and my current dogs haven't killed much), but that doesn't mean they haven't done it from time to time.

If they eat something questionable that I haven't frozen ahead of time, I'll do a course of diatomaceous earth for a month and then have a fecal check done. I also don't like to indiscriminately give them poisons without a might good reason.

Thanks for the stories - the skinned mouse wins the prize for grossness factor! :)

My dog has been having watery stools since it got cold, and has troublesome issues with her anal glands that she didn't have the first few months I had her. I'm putting 2 and 2 together (poop + mouse eating + gland problems) and tentatively diagnosing worms. She'll be up for a check today.

Mine love to mouse, especially once hay is cut. Wisp can't hear very well anymore so she uses that excuse to ignore me and suck up baby mice like a vaccuum cleaner. Meg and Quinn will spit them out if I ask them to.

Samantha

How many of you allow your dogs to eat their finds? Also how often should I de worm adult dogs who do munch on unsavory items every so often?

Dear Doggers,

I keep them off month old freezing and thawing carrion: botulism, otherwise don't care. Their creme de la creme was plucking afterbirth from the straw when we cleaned our lambing jugs. Grain fed sheep poop and greenish afterbirth.YUM!! Their smiles were truly repulsive.

It may depend what they're used to. We've never had a LGD get botulism and they eat EVERYTHING. I know of pets who got into meat garbage, sickened and died.

I very occasionally worm for tapes. Heartworming seems to get rid of the other worms.

Donald McCaig

Mine love to mouse, especially once hay is cut. Wisp can't hear very well anymore so she uses that excuse to ignore me and suck up baby mice like a vaccuum cleaner. Meg and Quinn will spit them out if I ask them to.

Samantha

The first couple of days after the fields are cut it is like a graveyard buffet out there. Cut up moles, mice and rabbits. Levi scarfs them up if I am not looking. Same during hunting season, he eats the organs that are cut out during field dressing and finds the neighbor's carcasses they toss after butchering. Deer poop and chicken poop are favorite treats too. Though our chickens don't free range anymore a couple still get out and the dog's eat their poop. My husband listened to Coop Cast (a podcast) and said apparently one of their dogs died from something he got from eating chicken poop. I've never investigated that claim too see what exactly it was. Our dogs have never gotten sick from their 'finds'.